Premed 101 Forums

Psychiatry Residency ranked?

Dian Cecht

Not as far as I know. There aren’t nearly so many programs as in the US so there isn’t much need. 

They mostly all have their ups and downs depending on what your specific interests and needs are. 

The bigger programs like UBC and Toronto are typically quite competitive. And the largest cities tend to have the most niche/subspecialty stuff. When I went through, Calgary was fairly competitive as well, though I had a weird elective experience there. 

10 hours ago, ellorie said:

Not as far as I know. There aren’t nearly so many programs as in the US so there isn’t much need. 

They mostly all have their ups and downs depending on what your specific interests and needs are. 

The bigger programs like UBC and Toronto are typically quite competitive. And the largest cities tend to have the most niche/subspecialty stuff. When I went through, Calgary was fairly competitive as well, though I had a weird elective experience there. 

How is McGill perceived in terms of its psych residency program?

McGill is a decent program as far as I know - I interviewed there but did not do a rotation. 

But I wouldn’t underestimate the difficulty of practicing medicine even in Montreal without speaking French. I also hear that these days they are much more heavily factoring language proficiency into their rankings but that’s second hand.