Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

1 hour ago, lalalalaura said:

I'm curious as to if any of our MMI days will be cancelled due to COVID-19 precautions? A friend of a friend just had her med school MMI cancelled at University of Calgary - hope it doesn't happen to any of us! 

Would it be moved to online? I’m assuming if Mcmaster cancels the in-person interviews, they would be moved to online as well

thanks!

22 hours ago, lalalalaura said:

I'm curious as to if any of our MMI days will be cancelled due to COVID-19 precautions? A friend of a friend just had her med school MMI cancelled at University of Calgary - hope it doesn't happen to any of us! 

I got an email today from McMaster that all MMI interviews will be held online! 

6 hours ago, waitlisted204 said:

Hi, I got my interview invite for UofM late March! It might even take them longer now with the CoVid starting to spread here :/

So that’s when they generally respond? How was the interview process? Where did you end up choosing? 

Applied PT: U of A (in province), McMaster, Queens, Western
UK: Brighton, Essex, Queen Margaret

Accepted: U of A, Brighton, Queen Margaret, Queens
Waitlisted: McMaster
Rejected: Essex (I declined interview), Western
Interview Offer: U of A, McMaster, Brighton, Essex 

GPA: ORPAS SGPA-3.88 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:
Reference from a professor who runs my program, have worked with this prof as an RA and been in multiple small classes with this professor. Practical reference from a two-term practicum supervisor.

Essays okay, had them edited by references and other Physios I work with.

Over 1000 hours as a PTA, volunteering with a movement program for all abilities, volunteering with the local animal shelter. Over 4000 hours working with children in a growth and development setting.

Goodluck everyone!!

-----

May 8/20- U of A Offers Sent Out

I will be headed to U of A (Calgary Campus)! Congrats everyone so far, and fingers crossed for those waiting to hear still!
----

I do want to mention this for those that are looking to apply in the future as I wish I knew a little more about international grades: For anyone who did an exchange that is in their past two years when applying, schools may or may not take the grades! It depends on if they are transferable or not. I know that Western took my exchange grades (which lowered my GPA to around a 3.76, from the 3.88 calculated by ORPAS). Im not sure if U of A took the grades, but there are indications that they did not. Ultimately, I would contact each individual department as each case is different!

3 hours ago, WhoKnows2020 said:

Applied PT: U of A (in province), McMaster, Queens, Western
UK: Brighton, Essex, Queen Margaret

Accepted: Brighton
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Interview: U of A, McMaster, Brighton, Essex (I declined interview)

GPA: ORPAS SGPA-3.88 (most likely lower due to ORPAS not including international exchange grades)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:
Reference from a professor who runs my program, have worked with this prof as an RA and been in multiple small classes with this professor. Practical reference from a two-term practicum supervisor.

Essays okay, had them edited by references and other Physios I work with.

Over 1000 hours as a PTA, volunteering with a movement program for all abilities, volunteering with the local animal shelter. Over 4000 hours working with children in a growth and development setting.

---------

Mainly posting as I wanted to give an update in regards to U of A MMI's. I received an email today that they are becoming ONLINE interviews, however the structure is unknown. It also appears that they are re-offering the interview position to those who previously declined due to the change in format.

Goodluck everyone!!

Hey when did you hear from Brighton? They told me mid-March and still haven’t got anything 

7 hours ago, PTbound07 said:

Hey when did you hear from Brighton? They told me mid-March and still haven’t got anything 

Have you checked your application? Im not sure if you applied through UCAS, but I applied to Brighton directly and did not receive notification of an offer. However, I checked my application directly and it stated I had an offer made on March 11!

Is the casper score really going to fully replace the MMI in terms of how it is weighted at uofa? I would think that a casper score worth 50% of your admissions score and more than your gpa would be highly unfair. I don't think it would be representative of the characteristics of those with a slow typing speed as well as considering other schools have never weighted it heavily and there is minimal research on its validity since it is fairly new.

3 minutes ago, PTProspective said:

Is the casper score really going to fully replace the MMI in terms of how it is weighted at uofa? I would think that a casper score worth 50% of your admissions score and more than your gpa would be highly unfair. I don't think it would be representative of the characteristics of those with a slow typing speed as well as considering other schools have never weighted it heavily and there is minimal research on its validity since it is fairly new.

I wondered the same thing, so I emailed them today. I will post on here when I get an answer.

5 hours ago, PT applicant said:

wonder if we will get a chance to retake the casper for ualberta if we have already taken one earlier for another school

U of A stated in the email if you have already taken the CASPer, you just add them on to the distribution list. I dont know if the system would allow you to write it again or not...