Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

2 hours ago, PTVancouver said:

I've been wondering the same thing too. In the FAQs of the MPT website they say that expressing interest in the Northern Cohort program does not preclude you from being considered in the Vancouver campus, and that in order to be considered for Northern you would have to be accepted in the MPT program first (not sure about the waitlist situation). I also read somewhere that saying yes or no to being interested in Northern does not put you at an advantage/disadvantage when it comes to getting into the MPT program. This statement does not make sense to me, I believe that expressing interest does put you at an advantage in terms of just getting in that year because I believe that more than 80% of the people regardless of what they say on their application want to go to the Point Grey campus rather than Prince George, leaving potentially more spots for those who expressed interest in Northern.

So the question is if someone is accepted into the program, when and how will they find out if they are given the choice of going to Vancouver or Northern because accepting the offer does not specify anything in terms of primary location. And how will UBC handle matters if less than 20/100 people choose to go to Northern and have over 80 people choosing Vancouver as their primary choice? Will they start picking people out and moving them to Northern, or give waitlisted applicants (like you) who expressed interest in joining Northern to go to Northern if they gain a spot in the MPT program and not bring in waitlisted individuals who did not express interest in that cohort?

Also, the first email I got from UBC was from the graduate address, stating that I got into the MPT program. The second email I got from UBC was from the UBC PT department saying that I got into the Northern Cohort program. I'm a bit confused with the situation and would also like to find out more information but glad that I was accepted regardless.

I thought this too, and it seems like it doesn't make any sense at all even if they only allowed the Top 100 students and let's say they are all Vancouver Campus location preferred. What if no one wants to go to North? you cannot force anyone to go to North, or what if only 19 people would volunteer to go to North? Why would UBC take this risk and just ask the 100 if 20 of them can go North? How is this even good for the physios and patients up at North to realize this student has been pretty much been convinced to go to North. This whole process seems flawed in itself. How can it not be an advantage? if they accepted 160 for the interview, even just thinking about the balance of ratio you have to accept 128 Vancouver and 32 North to have exact same percentage of 62.5% of getting in. Even if this is the case I don't see how it would not advantageous to compete against 31 students instead of 127?  They need to be absolutely transparent with this because it does not make any sense no matter what context you put in for North.

25 minutes ago, UBCPTDream said:

I thought this too, and it seems like it doesn't make any sense at all even if they only allowed the Top 100 students and let's say they are all Vancouver Campus location preferred. What if no one wants to go to North? you cannot force anyone to go to North, or what if only 19 people would volunteer to go to North? Why would UBC take this risk and just ask the 100 if 20 of them can go North? How is this even good for the physios and patients up at North to realize this student has been pretty much been convinced to go to North. This whole process seems flawed in itself. How can it not be an advantage? if they accepted 160 for the interview, even just thinking about the balance of ratio you have to accept 128 Vancouver and 32 North to have exact same percentage of 62.5% of getting in. Even if this is the case I don't see how it would not advantageous to compete against 31 students instead of 127?  They need to be absolutely transparent with this because it does not make any sense no matter what context you put in for North.

My thoughts exactly. This year I asked one of the PT students during the debrief session and they said 200 students were interviewed, so a 50/50 chance still remains. My only guess is that because the offers came out much earlier than they were expected for Mid to End of April, that they may have sent out only 80 or a portion of the offers out and are waiting for some applicants to respond before a later batch of offers goes out because I know one applicant hasn't heard back yet. But even that still doesn't make sense when they ask you to reject or accept your offer when you don't even know exactly what you're getting yourself into and whether or not you would have to move out of town for the program.

Everything on their website about this newly opened program at UNBC is too vague for applicants and even though there are some things they can't share about the application process, this is something that needs to be clarified to students before they can make a well informed decision on whether or not to pursue an MPT with UBC.

1 minute ago, PTVancouver said:

My thoughts exactly. This year I asked one of the PT students during the debrief session and they said 200 students were interviewed, so a 50/50 chance still remains. My only guess is that because the offers came out much earlier than they were expected for Mid to End of April, that they may have sent out only 80 or a portion of the offers out and are waiting for some applicants to respond before a later batch of offers goes out because I know one applicant hasn't heard back yet. But even that still doesn't make sense when they ask you to reject or accept your offer when you don't even know exactly what you're getting yourself into and whether or not you would have to move out of town for the program.

Everything on their website about this newly opened program at UNBC is too vague for applicants and even though there are some things they can't share about the application process, this is something that needs to be clarified to students before they can make a well informed decision on whether or not to pursue an MPT with UBC.

Even if its 200 they still need to balance it out to the point that Vancouver students are going up against the same number of people and have an equal percentage change of getting in as North, which I think is impossible to do. Like they cant do 100 and 100, and even if you split them apart evenly the same argument applies. I have alot of friends who haven't heard anything yet including me. Also the offers don't make any sense, the North Applicants get acceptance to both Vancouver AND North, so they have a choice to stay in Vancouver ? And with the coronavirus chances of coming back in September stronger than ever, won't this affect the applicants being sent to the North? This seems very confusing and a bit unfair either way. I hope they are clear with this process because it's going to raise a lot of questions as North application continues to be a thing

13 minutes ago, PTVancouver said:

Also my friend who is already in UBC program said they sent out offers all on one day last year, he talked to his friends too.  if this is the case, could this be a situation where they sent out all 100 and now waiting for people to accept then give out rejections?

57 minutes ago, UBCPTDream said:

Also my friend who is already in UBC program said they sent out offers all on one day last year, he talked to his friends too.  if this is the case, could this be a situation where they sent out all 100 and now waiting for people to accept then give out rejections?

i do think this is the case. no way could they send out all the invites and wait for people to pick northern cohort or van cohort. there must be a systematic way of sending out invites. I think they will send out batches of acceptances, and wait until people confirm a cohort. then send out another batch and so on.

34 minutes ago, maybePT said:

i do think this is the case. no way could they send out all the invites and wait for people to pick northern cohort or van cohort. there must be a systematic way of sending out invites. I think they will send out batches of acceptances, and wait until people confirm a cohort. then send out another batch and so on.

The issue is there is no option to confirm which cohort when you accept the offer. I already accepted the offer knowing that I would be willing to move to Northern if that is my only option because I would rather stay in the province. I don't think that being interested in the Northern Cohort automatically puts you into the North program by default because it is a supplementary application and based on the answer in the FAQs, a confirmation should be necessary. Without an option to choose or confirm the main location/campus they have no way of finding out where the accepted student would like to study at and determine how many offers they have left for each location.

I might ask the Department soon, but if anybody else has received email offers and also expressed interest in joining the Northern Cohort, I would love to hear the kind of emails that you received.

34 minutes ago, IslandPTgal said:

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.29.28 PM.png

Good to know. Now we wait! Are any other schools doing things this way? I'm curious about that. So now references and our personal statements will play a larger role than in previous years most likely. 

Hope I did well on my CASPer! 

22 hours ago, PT!!!! said:

Applied (PT): McMaster (interview complete), Toronto (CAP invitation), Mcgill, Western, Dalhousie, Queens
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa (3.85) and s-gpa (3.91) according to ORPAS
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Volunteer experience and references were key for my application. Essays and interviews are well done, however, not my strong suit. 

Are you me? I applied to all the same schools (same interviews too) and have the exact same cGPA & sGPA as you...

Freaky lol

On 3/30/2020 at 12:46 PM, PleaseGiveMePT said:

Congratulations! I also just got my acceptance! I was wondering if you know whether or not it's possible to accept the offer at this time, but then choose to decline at a later date? Just asking because I live out in Toronto and if I got accepted here I would prefer not having to move. That said, Ontario schools don't decide until Mid-late May so the April 25 due date for a response is kind of stressing me out.

Once again, congratulations on your offer!

There is a May deadline for putting down your UBC deposit to secure your spot - so you can likely change your mind before that date!

4 hours ago, PTHopeful2020 said:

I believe U of A us doing this as well. Just Casper and GPA. Not sure the weighing though with Casper being the alternative for MMI. It was supposed to be 50% MMI and 50% GPA before. 
Do you know the weighing of Casper/GPA that will be used for Dal?

Gotcha - yeah they haven't mentioned those details yet. Not sure that they will, but before it was supposed to be 75% GPA and 25% Interview. So I imagine the CASPer will slide in and replace that interview percentage. They also said that they would consider the references and our personal statements in situations where scores are similar to help determine who gets in. 

https://cdn.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/school-of-physiotherapy/WHAT_HAPPENS_AFTER_I_APPLY_Aug2_2.pdf

19 hours ago, PhysioGS said:

Congrats to everyone who got acceptance emails! I have not heard back from UBC at all and am following everyone's posts.  At this point, I'm hoping to make the waiting list --unless those emails have gone out already too. 

Me too! Can you let me know when you hear back so I know that I'm not missing something

15 minutes ago, FuturePT2020 said:

What does the sGPA cut off mean exactly? Is this the GPA cut off for all the applicants they will consider admission (If so, do we know how many students make it to this stage?)

I believe once you make the cut-off the assessment is solely on your personal statements/academic and professional references. I'm unsure how many students make this stage.