Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

1 hour ago, UBCPTDream said:

i see well it looks like they are really spreading these acceptances tho, my friend who got in just said some people didn't even get acceptances until April 12...

Did your friend get an offer today or was this last year cause how would they know that they're sending out acceptances until April 12??

On 2/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, PTvibes said:

Applied: UBC (northern cohort), Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens

accepted: UBC

waitlisted:

rejected:

cGPA: 3.18 sGPA: 3.93 (ORPAS official)
 Perceived strengths

-2600 hours as ministry wildland firefighter first aid attendant

-worked 360 hours as a physiotherapy intern in Spain full time last summer applying treatments supervising patient exercises ect in patient and outpatient settings

-2 years coaching my local special Olympics BC cross country skiing team

-2 years playing and volunteering for my local Wheelchair Rugby team

-4 years coaching a junior skiing program for 6/7 year olds

-5 years volunteering at my local soup kitchen for 600hours

Question for you guys, has UBC contacted any of your listed contacts to confirm your hours yet?

Thanks, and best of luck to all!

18 hours ago, AhhhhGLPT said:

Did your friend get an offer today or was this last year cause how would they know that they're sending out acceptances until April 12??

no this was from last year, they talked to everyone who got in basically their friends etc. they all said they got acceptance on the same day, but we know this year for sure they are sending things are out waaaay earlier.

2 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Hey does anyone know when we are supposed to hear from Dalhousie and McGill OT? I thought Dalhousie was supposed to send an email after the application is complete but I never received anything.

I am wondering about Dal OT too! I haven't heard anything from them either. 

18 hours ago, rrxxccooll said:

Does dal value experiences more than gpa?

Not as familiar with OT, but for PT they weight GPA fairly heavy (60% of the application score for who gets interview invites, and 75% of the score for who gets accepted after interviews). This was before interviews were cancelled this year so the weighting may change, but those are the most recent figures I've seen on their website and admissions resources for PT!

Anyone else getting a lot of anxiety thinking about waiting until the end of May to find out about OT acceptances? I don't know how time is going to pass by. Also, does anyone want to share their thoughts on the McMaster OT interviews? I feel like I was getting a positive response from the evaluators but maybe they were just being nice and friendly in general to everyone? A lot of "that was a very thorough response" and smiling, validating nods...LOL. 

50 minutes ago, OThopeful2020 said:

Anyone else getting a lot of anxiety thinking about waiting until the end of May to find out about OT acceptances? I don't know how time is going to pass by. Also, does anyone want to share their thoughts on the McMaster OT interviews? I feel like I was getting a positive response from the evaluators but maybe they were just being nice and friendly in general to everyone? A lot of "that was a very thorough response" and smiling, validating nods...LOL. 

Yes! I don't know why they moved the date up. It gives us such less time especially if we don't get an offer, that leaves little time for backup plans for September. By the time we hear back its going to be almost June.

Personally, my experience with the McMaster interview was not tooo good. I did get positive responses in terms of body language (as in smiles) from some evaluators but one of them repeated the end of a question for me after I was done answering because I guess I didn't address it lol. Plus I got a lot of follow up questions, which I was told it means they want more information from you... So I guess my answers could've been of more substance. I'm just hoping for the best.

Hi! I am a current 1st year OT student at Western! I remember how stressful this process was so I thought I would update everyone on some information. I have heard that acceptances are going out later for some programs and while that may seem stressful know that the faculty are working around the clock right now and doing there very best amongst this crazy time in the world! They are trying to intake new students, switching to online courses, juggling family health concerns, and trying to figure out how 2nd years will graduate on time and how us first years will be able to complete our placements which are supposed to begin for most in May. So be as patient as you can (I know... easier said than done). But...While this forum was helpful last year it can consume you and add extra stress as you compare yourself to others. So practice meaningful occupations to help with the stress don’t get fixated on your exact gpa calculation and if it doesn’t happen for you this year keep your head up, I got in my second time applying off the waitlist! If I can do it you can too! 

Good luck to you all :) 

11 hours ago, OThopeful2020 said:

The waiting is actually killing me! And without the distraction of school...all I can really think about is waiting to hear back! 
All of the responses I received were very general as well...nods and smiles were the only thing keeping me positive during the whole experience. One of the interviewer's video camera wasn't working and when she turned it off while I was talking it totally threw me off since I didn't get my nods and smiles haha! At the end they would always say, "good response" or "very thorough response" as you said. It's very hard to tell if you did well or not based on that....but I guess that's the whole point!