Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

1 hour ago, Psyched4OTPT said:

This was the response from Dal OT admissions... not helpful at all: 

We are currently proceeding with admissions as usual however, please check our FAQ's on our website for any updates. 

Hey! I also emailed and they told me we will receive a letter by the end of April. Less than two more weeks of waiting, hang in there everyone!  :) 

On 4/11/2020 at 3:27 PM, ptstudent96 said:

It's a very straight forward test. They just want to see mainly that you can think. Expect CASPer like/reasoning type of questions. Additionally, expect some personal questions. Would recommend going through your resume/experiences and highlighting what you learned from each of those experiences. 

@ptstudent96 Thanks for the info:) You may or may not be able to answer this, but could you give me an idea of the ratio of situational judgement type questions to behavioral/personal type interview questions? Also any recommendations on good resources for practice SJT scenarios, possibly ones that go through the reasoning for their solutions? Thanks!

On 4/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, OTPLEASE2382 said:

Does anyone know if pre-reqs for UBC OT is considered in the gpa calculation? 

3rd and 4th year courses are considered in the GPA calculation from my understanding. So if your prereqs are upper level than yes. 

As far as I know

3 hours ago, P-T2020 said:

I contacted the U of Manitoba and they stated that changes to Fall school delivery are likely but they probably won't know until closer to the time. 

Ya I guess that's what we should all be expecting. I know UBC is online till Aug 13th for sure ...  :/ 

7 hours ago, mjot said:

Anyone get updates about programs being online in September?

I don't think this decision can be made at this time, however I would say this would be very unlikely and the best case scenario this is based of our current proposed best case scenario schedule. Feel free to DM me if anyone has questions about what the schools are doing. 

- Current PT2 student

Hey guys,

I got accepted to a different masters program at UofT which requires a decision to be made by the next week. As UofT OT is my first choice and decisions don't come out until late May I am thinking of accepting just as a back up, and then withdrawing my acceptance if I get into OT.  I don't mind losing my deposit for the masters, my only worry is the admissions office for OT would be able to see I already accepted a different program and possibly pass by my application? I am wondering if anyone was in a similar situation. 

19 minutes ago, ClarissaJ. said:

Hey guys,

I got accepted to a different masters program at UofT which requires a decision to be made by the next week. As UofT OT is my first choice and decisions don't come out until late May I am thinking of accepting just as a back up, and then withdrawing my acceptance if I get into OT.  I don't mind losing my deposit for the masters, my only worry is the admissions office for OT would be able to see I already accepted a different program and possibly pass by my application? I am wondering if anyone was in a similar situation. 

Hey! I ran into a similar situation and contacted ORPAS. Here is what they said! Pretty much I contacted my "back-up" school and asked what I would need to do just in case something happened or another opportunity came up. They said it wouldn't be a big deal if I had to defer so I accepted! Based on what I got from this, anything outside of ORPAS does not cross over. 
Hello - Graduate applic­ations and ORPAS applic­ations are separate from each other. Just in general, each offer comes with a specific expiry date and you must accept an offer by this date. Once you succes­sfully accepted an offer through your OUAC Graduate application you would no longer be able to cancel that offer through your Graduate application, you would need to communicate with the university to see if you can be released from the acceptance. Therefore, please read your offer details carefully or inquire with the university. OT and PT programs are sent on May 29. Pls see our important dates www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-dates. - Thanks - Katja\ORPAS

45 minutes ago, Walrus08 said:

Hey! I ran into a similar situation and contacted ORPAS. Here is what they said! Pretty much I contacted my "back-up" school and asked what I would need to do just in case something happened or another opportunity came up. They said it wouldn't be a big deal if I had to defer so I accepted! Based on what I got from this, anything outside of ORPAS does not cross over. 
Hello - Graduate applic­ations and ORPAS applic­ations are separate from each other. Just in general, each offer comes with a specific expiry date and you must accept an offer by this date. Once you succes­sfully accepted an offer through your OUAC Graduate application you would no longer be able to cancel that offer through your Graduate application, you would need to communicate with the university to see if you can be released from the acceptance. Therefore, please read your offer details carefully or inquire with the university. OT and PT programs are sent on May 29. Pls see our important dates www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-dates. - Thanks - Katja\ORPAS

Thanks for the response! I would assume it would not affect getting an acceptance from OT, but its always best to be safe and ask. Thanks for saving me the time of emailing :) . 

12 minutes ago, ClarissaJ. said:

Thanks for the response! I would assume it would not affect getting an acceptance from OT, but its always best to be safe and ask. Thanks for saving me the time of emailing :) . 

That's exactly how I felt! I got so nervous about accepting anywhere else and did LOTS of research to make sure I didn't ruin anything haha. I'm happy to help! :)

I was wondering if there are any current PT students who can recommend any scholarships to apply for?  I am familiar with the scholarship page with different sites to look at, but I was wondering if you have any information on scholarships specifically for new PT students?  I was accepted into UBC PT program in September.  Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, lalalalaura said:

For anyone applying to uAlberta, this draft fall semester planning document has been released.

https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/media-library/2020-04-16_fall-semester-scenario-planning-principles-and-scenarios-final-draft.pdf 

At this point, they're assuming that a full return to normal in-person classes is extremely unlikely and the document seems to suggest that classes will be at least partially online. Will be interesting to see what happens.

As such an in-person centered profession, I truly hope we will be in a classroom physically in September...

I know that PT schools do not defer admissions typically, but do you (or anyone) think they would grant an admission to be deferred for the next applicant cycle? 

9 minutes ago, FuturePT2020 said:

As such an in-person centered profession, I truly hope we will be in a classroom physically in September...

I know that PT schools do not defer admissions typically, but do you (or anyone) think they would grant an admission to be deferred for the next applicant cycle? 

I hope they let us defer to next year if this is the case. I personally don't think I will accept an offer if it's online.

Hello does anyone here know when the Dalhousie PT admissions offers usually go out? Online it says early May but does anyone have an idea of what day to expect? I got an NSERC CGS-M scholarship for my alternative program that is not PT, in the case I get rejected but need to decline or accept it by May 6. Hope someone can help me with this.

1 hour ago, NL Applicant said:

Hello does anyone here know when the Dalhousie PT admissions offers usually go out? Online it says early May but does anyone have an idea of what day to expect? I got an NSERC CGS-M scholarship for my alternative program that is not PT, in the case I get rejected but need to decline or accept it by May 6. Hope someone can help me with this.

I assume they want us to expect an email for that entire first week of May, so May 1st to May 8th. That's my understanding, anyway :) I'm hoping we won't have to wait until the second week of May. I'm an OOP applicant and a bit nervous that they will be more inclined to take only Atlantic students because of the pandemic!

44 minutes ago, vp33 said:

I assume they want us to expect an email for that entire first week of May, so May 1st to May 8th. That's my understanding, anyway :) I'm hoping we won't have to wait until the second week of May. I'm an OOP applicant and a bit nervous that they will be more inclined to take only Atlantic students because of the pandemic!

hey! im from out of province as well, so i feel you we're on the same boat, definately nervous about it too! Do you know how many OOP they have for Dal OT?