Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

1 hour ago, NorthernPTapplicant said:

Also is anyone's "current program"  row updated when they log into their dal application? I don't think mine said anything before but now it says master of science.

Hey mine said master of science ever since I applied lol. I applied to OT

Hey yall! Been lurking on this forum for months and thought I'd finally post. 

Applied for PT: UBC, UofT, Queens, Western, Dal, Manchester Met University (UK), Brunel University (UK)
Accepted: Manchester Met, Brunel
Waitlisted: UBC
Rejected: UofT
GPA: c-gpa of 3.7

I'm also definitely worried about the school situation starting in September, especially if I have to move! I'm a BC resident so having such an uncertain future is extremely stressful

1 hour ago, OhBoyyyy said:

Applied for PT: UBC, UofT, Queens, Western, Dal, Manchester Met University (UK), Brunel University (UK)

I'm also definitely worried about the school situation starting in September, especially if I have to move! I'm a BC resident so having such an uncertain future is extremely stressful

Hey congratulations on your acceptances! Is it okay if I pm you? I have a few questions about applying to the uk and the process as a Canadian student. 

2 hours ago, OhBoyyyy said:

I might be going to Brunel in the fall, if that’s what you choose as well pm me! I’m also from BC lol 

59 minutes ago, stressedbunny said:

Hey congratulations on your acceptances! Is it okay if I pm you? I have a few questions about applying to the uk and the process as a Canadian student. 

8 minutes ago, PTbound07 said:

I might be going to Brunel in the fall, if that’s what you choose as well pm me! I’m also from BC lol 

@stressedbunny yeah for sure! I'm happy to help

@PTbound07 ayyy thats cool! I haven't decided yet because I'm going to try to see if I can get into a Canadian school first, so still playing the waiting game. What a small world though!

5 hours ago, OhBoyyyy said:

If you don't mind me asking what was your sub gpa for ORPAS and % for UBC ? 

On 4/30/2020 at 7:20 PM, OT1996 said:

It really is :/ I already took a year off so I didn't want to again and applied to back up programs but don't know what I like besides OT.

Has any of the applicants here done a master's or went into other fields (after undergrad) before applying to OT. I need some insight.

Hey, I went on to do a Master's after my undergraduate, once I was rejected from Medical School. After some self reflection, I was able to picture myself becoming an occupational therapist, and using lots of the skills that I learned in my Master's of Science (thesis-based in Anatomy). I think if you can find a topic you are interested in, research is an amazing avenue to open new doors. I have now been accepted into the OT program in Alberta

With that being said, I would warn you that my GPA was not greatly impacted by the work in my Master's. While the experience was great, I think another year or two of undergraduate classes would have had a greater impact on my GPA. As well, careers in academics is a long road, with an unfortunately small level of opportunity and careers, if you want to stay in the country. 

Food for thought! Good luck.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, OT1996 said:

It really is :/ I already took a year off so I didn't want to again and applied to back up programs but don't know what I like besides OT.

Has any of the applicants here done a master's or went into other fields (after undergrad) before applying to OT. I need some insight.

After finishing my undergrad in 2016 I went on to do a 1 year MSc (both were science degrees, but not HK related). I was in a nasty car accident while finishing my Masters though, and had to take a fair amount of time off to recover. I've been working for the last two years in another medical field and now I've applied to a few PT programs in Ontario:). Feel free to PM me if you want any advice from my experience. 

5 hours ago, SaskOTCandidate said:

Hey, I went on to do a Master's after my undergraduate, once I was rejected from Medical School. After some self reflection, I was able to picture myself becoming an occupational therapist, and using lots of the skills that I learned in my Master's of Science (thesis-based in Anatomy). I think if you can find a topic you are interested in, research is an amazing avenue to open new doors. I have now been accepted into the OT program in Alberta

With that being said, I would warn you that my GPA was not greatly impacted by the work in my Master's. While the experience was great, I think another year or two of undergraduate classes would have had a greater impact on my GPA. As well, careers in academics is a long road, with an unfortunately small level of opportunity and careers, if you want to stay in the country. 

Can i PM you?

5 hours ago, SaskOTCandidate said:

I wonder if we apply again after finishing a master degree, will they still look at our undergrad gpa? What kind of master program is good for applying for OT? What about some online programs? Thanks

1 hour ago, XKIN2019 said:

Did anyone get an email from Uottawa asking them to sign up for a french class this summer? They specifically said its not a decision on my application so I am wondering if this is just a way for them to make more money off of people

Interesting, I didn't get that email (applied to UOttawa PT). The last email I got from them was the covid one in late April. 

Just now, AspiringPT said:

Interesting, I didn't get that email (applied to UOttawa PT). The last email I got from them was the covid one in late April. 

Mine was in regards to OT and I applied for both so I wonder if it is the OT part of admissions sending it out. 

26 minutes ago, XKIN2019 said:

Mine was in regards to OT and I applied for both so I wonder if it is the OT part of admissions sending it out. 

Maybe, I didn't get it either and I applied for PT. They do seem to like making money off the language component though. There's no way they needed to charge $93 for the online French test... it wasn't even proctored! It should have been included in the application fee. Besides the cost for travel, you didn't have to pay to attend the interview in prior years (which the language test and CASPer were replacing).

1 hour ago, XKIN2019 said:

Did anyone get an email from Uottawa asking them to sign up for a french class this summer? They specifically said its not a decision on my application so I am wondering if this is just a way for them to make more money off of people

I got that email too.. and i am surprised as I'm fairly fluent in french. 

Just now, FOT19 said:

I am unsure yet. It is slightly frustrating that you have to register before we find out about acceptance. 

Agreed! I only applied to u of O though so I'm kind of stuck. I know OT typically as a program looks for a higher level of french than the PT. I'm also guessing the class will be online but there really isn't alot of info out on it.