Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Applied + (PT or OT?): U of A PT
Accepted: May 8th - U of A
Waitlisted: no
Rejected: no
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa - I believe 4.0 for last 60 cred. Cumulative approx 3.6
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Only did CASPer due to Covid.I have quite a bit of work experience to draw on for personal examples (I'm 30 yrs old). 

On 5/5/2020 at 10:32 PM, OhBoyyyy said:

Hey yall! Been lurking on this forum for months and thought I'd finally post. 

Applied for PT: UBC, UofT, Queens, Western, Dal, Manchester Met University (UK), Brunel University (UK)
Accepted: Manchester Met, Brunel
Waitlisted: UBC
Rejected: UofT
GPA: c-gpa of 3.7

I'm also definitely worried about the school situation starting in September, especially if I have to move! I'm a BC resident so having such an uncertain future is extremely stressful

Hi,

I PMed you.

21 hours ago, jhall_88xc said:

I just double checked this on Western's admissions page, and they state among the grades not considered in sGPA calculation are courses from graduate degrees, B.Ed., and diploma programs (among others!)

Edit: Oops, I guess you must have been referring to OT, my comment was only for PT! I just checked the admissions page for OT at Western and it turns out that they DO consider graduate courses for sGPA calculations there. Pardon me for any confusion :) 

Haha all good! You had me worried for a second because I was hoping to hear back from Western and was relying on my grad school marks lol. It's weird how PT doesn't, but OT does, even though its the same school, don't really get that.

1 hour ago, OTPLEASE5678 said:

Hi I’ve seen that some people have heard back from UofT and I was wondering how I can check my status. I can’t find any emails from them with regards to a UofT account. Thank you!

Hey, from my understanding no one on this forum has heard back from UofT yet! I’ve noticed that UofT tends to update the registration status on ACORN a few days before the official offer date, which is usually a sign that you’ve been accepted into the program. If you’ve been a previous applicant at UofT or are currently a student there, you should have access to your ACORN account! Otherwise, they haven’t sent any email specifically for OT/PT applicants to make an account. 

21 minutes ago, ot2020!! said:

Hey, from my understanding no one on this forum has heard back from UofT yet! I’ve noticed that UofT tends to update the registration status on ACORN a few days before the official offer date, which is usually a sign that you’ve been accepted into the program. If you’ve been a previous applicant at UofT or are currently a student there, you should have access to your ACORN account! Otherwise, they haven’t sent any email specifically for OT/PT applicants to make an account. 

yes, I can confirm based on my experience last year. My acorn status changed to registered about a week before ORPAS officially released acceptances/rejections

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone looked into the NOTCE (National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination) which we need to practice in every province but Quebec.

I don't know if I'm overthinking or worrying this but while doing research last night I found out we have a lifetime limit of 3 attempts to write the exam and have to score a 70% to pass. After 3 failed attempts one would have to re-do a whole new occupational therapy program: https://caot.in1touch.org/uploaded/web/CEC- Exam/CEC.P.15_NOTCE Frequency Rewrite.pdf (link to the policy)

I hope that the schools prepare us well but I was wondering if someone knows the pass rates or any new grads who have written it before.

notce.png.fbd66e6678d81e354b38a313cb8962cc.png

1 hour ago, ot2020!! said:

Is this just for OT or for PT as well? Do they send emails regarding our ACORN accounts then, or where is that login info provided ? 

7 minutes ago, jacko123 said:

Is this just for OT or for PT as well? Do they send emails regarding our ACORN accounts then, or where is that login info provided ? 

I think it’s for both OT and PT. I’m not sure if they will send out emails to set up your ACORN before the offer date but I’m assuming they don’t. If you’ve applied to UofT before (for undergrad maybe) or you currently study there, you should already have the login info for your ACORN. 

1 hour ago, OT1996 said:

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone looked into the NOTCE (National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination) which we need to practice in every province but Quebec.

I don't know if I'm overthinking or worrying this but while doing research last night I found out we have a lifetime limit of 3 attempts to write the exam and have to score a 70% to pass. After 3 failed attempts one would have to re-do a whole new occupational therapy program: https://caot.in1touch.org/uploaded/web/CEC- Exam/CEC.P.15_NOTCE Frequency Rewrite.pdf (link to the policy)

I hope that the schools prepare us well but I was wondering if someone knows the pass rates or any new grads who have written it before.

It's placed on a curve so a certain percentage of people will fail every year but from my understanding it really isn't that bad for people taking it who went to school in Canada. If you are doing it from a uni outside of Canada i think the pass requirement is a 90%. My info is just from colleagues at work though so things could have changed.

4 minutes ago, XKIN2019 said:

It's placed on a curve so a certain percentage of people will fail every year but from my understanding it really isn't that bad for people taking it who went to school in Canada. If you are doing it from a uni outside of Canada i think the pass requirement is a 90%. My info is just from colleagues at work though so things could have changed.

Really? I saw this on the website: The pass mark is approximately 70% and is based on criterion referencing. The results are not bell curved.

3 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Hey everyone,

That’s why I wonder  which university we choose outside of Canada. Do you have any friends that complete the ot master in the uk or in the us?

26 minutes ago, rrxxccooll said:

That’s why I wonder  which university we choose outside of Canada. Do you have any friends that complete the ot master in the uk or in the us?

No sorry I don't. But I heard its a long process with transferring your school credentials over so I'd probably wait until you hear back from all Canadian schools