Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

13 hours ago, capergirl1995 said:

I think I am going to try to move to Halifax for September as it may be difficult to find a place in January when everyone will be in a rush to find a place and taking into consideration that Halifax has a 1% rental vacancy 

Good point! Just not sure I want to pay rent on a place for the fall if I may not be there

7 hours ago, oohtea said:

Anyone heard anything from McGill OT QY? Mine is still under review :(

Same here. I can't say for sure but I feel like they already selected their top candidates and are waiting for people to decline so they can send out more acceptances before they put people on a waitlist or reject them. This is just me hypothesizing though.

13 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Hey just another question- what if it is a percentage grade? I took one course through University of Guelph which uses percentages. According to the Dal table if the grade was in the range of 90-100% would it then be equal to 4.3 and id just add another 4.3 into my calculation? (I only took one course through there, I did my undergrad somewhere else, where we used letter grades. So it is kinda confusing mixing all my letter grades with one percentage grade lol). Thank you

Yup, based on the conversion table Guelph and Dal both use the same percentage cutoffs, so a 90-100% at Guelph is consider an A+ at Dal :) 

11 minutes ago, eastcoastpt said:

Good point! Just not sure I want to pay rent on a place for the fall if I may not be there

I did my undergrad at Dal so I've been in Halifax for a while, and there's been a swath of students in the Dal student housing FB group looking for people to sign lease-takeovers since it was announced courses are going online. Hard to say what things will look like in January under current circumstances, but I managed to find a four month sublet for winter semester without much trouble after I had to move last minute in my third year.

52 minutes ago, eastcoastpt said:

in Sept 2nd year OT is partly online, partly in person for labs. First semester at Dal OT you do mental health (physical hands on stuff starts in Jan) so maybe don't need to be there in person for labs, but you might need to be so I wouldn't count on not moving there! If they don't contact you within a few weeks I'd reach out to them to ask if you can delay moving to NS. 

14 hours ago, Peetee20 said:

Did anyone get their official acceptance letters yet after confirming acceptance at U of A PT?

13 hours ago, WhoKnows2020 said:

Nothing yet!

I emailed them yesterday to ask. They said they are currently working through all the acceptances to send in their recommendations and that I could expect to get the letter in 2 -3 weeks depending on FGSR's current workload. My last name is at the end of the alphabet :)

For those going to U of A for OT - I just got the FGSR message on the portal, and all it said was "Congratulations on your acceptance. Please respond to your Offer prior to the Offer Expire Date."

Does anyone know how we are supposed to respond to this offer? I know I'm supposed to send out official transcripts too.. but there is no info in that message about where to send it. Anyone have info?

Nevermind, I'm just dumb. You go to the "admissions" tab and you can respond to the offer and it has all the info for mailing transcripts in the offer letter they uploaded there. 

15 minutes ago, natOT said:

For those going to U of A for OT - I just got the FGSR message on the portal, and all it said was "Congratulations on your acceptance. Please respond to your Offer prior to the Offer Expire Date."

Does anyone know how we are supposed to respond to this offer? I know I'm supposed to send out official transcripts too.. but there is no info in that message about where to send it. Anyone have info?

Nevermind, I'm just dumb. You go to the "admissions" tab and you can respond to the offer and it has all the info for mailing transcripts in the offer letter they uploaded there. 

I received a message in my U of A email, but I do not see it on GSMS or Bear Tracks. Where can I find the portal? Thank you in advance!

4 minutes ago, OTPLEASE2382 said:

I received a message in my U of A email, but I do not see it on GSMS or Bear Tracks. Where can I find the portal? Thank you in advance!

It should be in the GSMS Portal, under the 'messages' tab. Then under the 'admissions' tab there will be a offer letter and a button that you click to respond to their offer.

https://www.ualberta.ca/gradstudies/about/gsms

I think that is the link to the portal. You login using your personal email that you used when you started the application process (that's what my login info was at least).

4 minutes ago, OTPLEASE2382 said:

https://www.ualberta.ca/graduate-studies/about/gsms_admissions

Follow this link and select "View Application Status". It's a separate portal from the one you made your application in but I believe it's the same login info.

6 hours ago, NBPTPT said:

For Queens it states “The first cut-off is based on the cumulative converted grade point average for all years of undergraduate university study. The actual cut-off mark is based on the applicant pool, but typically students entering the Occupational Therapy program have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 on a 4 point scale or higher” In other words, I would say that you would have a chance. Keep you head up and hope for the best!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, ABPT said:

Hi everyone! Just wondering how much the U of A PT waitlist moves on average? Has anyone gotten off the waitlist and what was your GPA?

Hey!

I'm not sure what the average is for waitlist movement but you can email them and ask where approx you are on the waitlist. They will tell you either top half or bottom half.

I got off the waitlist on May 13! My GPA was 4.0 and I am from BC

Good luck :)

13 minutes ago, PTPTPT12345 said:

Hey!

I'm not sure what the average is for waitlist movement but you can email them and ask where approx you are on the waitlist. They will tell you either top half or bottom half.

I got off the waitlist on May 13! My GPA was 4.0 and I am from BC

Good luck :)

Congrats!! Did they tell you how long the waitlist was? I'm top half of approx 50 as of a couple days ago. 

2 minutes ago, ABPT said:

Congrats!! Did they tell you how long the waitlist was? I'm top half of approx 50 as of a couple days ago. 

This is the email I received:

"We do not give out specific spots on the waitlist, but I can tell you that you are in the top half of a list with approximately 25 names. Please keep an eye on your email as there will be a deadline to respond to any subsequent offers that we make if spots open up"

So I'm not too sure how long the list is!

11 minutes ago, OThopeful2020 said:

ONE WEEK UNTIL OT DECISIONS FOR ONTARIO! 

Does anyone know if they send emails right at 12 am or like later in the day? So nervous, anxious and excited!

I think it depends on the school I know Uottawa was like a day late last year. 

15 minutes ago, OThopeful2020 said:

ONE WEEK UNTIL OT DECISIONS FOR ONTARIO! 

Does anyone know if they send emails right at 12 am or like later in the day? So nervous, anxious and excited!

It was 12 am last year.

This year I also applied to SLP through ORPAS and got waitlisted and I got that letter the next day. I think if you're accepted or rejected it gets sent right around 12 am, and if waitlisted then they tell you a bit later.

1 hour ago, OTPLEASE2382 said:

for U of A OT who are accepted, did some of you not receive the FGSR message and information to submit transcript? 

I got mine, but we just got an email to our U of A address and it said that the message from FGSR is coming, they just have hundreds to process. So don't worry!