Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

50 minutes ago, OThopeful2020 said:

Hi! I'm doing my Casper test for UWO OT on Tuesday. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? :) 

Really practice timing yourself! and have a generic set of Personal experience examples set aside so that if you have to mention something that happened to you, you’ll have it ready to go!

53 minutes ago, OThopeful2020 said:

Hi! I'm doing my Casper test for UWO OT on Tuesday. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? :) 

Hi, i studied for the casper for a few days (very little compared to others), but I believe general life experience plays a large role on how you look at scenarios, so depending on that, you may need more practice than me. theres free videos online where they go thru practice examples and tell you what to look out for and what to include in your answer. You want to ALWAYS consider all possibilities, and contemplate both sides of the coin. You also want to treat each person in the scenario fairly, and also show empathy. Also, and this comes with practice, allow yourself to make assumptions. There is no rule against that and it shows that you can think outside of the box!

Applied + (PT or OT?): OT Western, Mac, UofT, Queen's, Dalhousie, Alberta PT Western & Queen's
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa 3.75 and s-gpa 3.82
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 
-Strength and Conditioning Coach (NSCA-CPT) at a Rehabilitation Facility 
-Volunteer at a Senior's Exercise centre
-Volunteer leading an exercise program for Seniors

-Volunteer at a Children's Movement Program
-Volunteer at a Spinal Cord Rehabilitation Centre
-Student Athletic Therapist
-T-ball and Soccer Instructor for kids aged 2-5

Good luck everyone! May can't come fast enough

23 hours ago, PTbound07 said:

Really practice timing yourself! and have a generic set of Personal experience examples set aside so that if you have to mention something that happened to you, you’ll have it ready to go!

23 hours ago, maybePT said:

Hi, i studied for the casper for a few days (very little compared to others), but I believe general life experience plays a large role on how you look at scenarios, so depending on that, you may need more practice than me. theres free videos online where they go thru practice examples and tell you what to look out for and what to include in your answer. You want to ALWAYS consider all possibilities, and contemplate both sides of the coin. You also want to treat each person in the scenario fairly, and also show empathy. Also, and this comes with practice, allow yourself to make assumptions. There is no rule against that and it shows that you can think outside of the box!

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the help! :) 

Applied (all OT)UBC, McGill (qualifying year)
Accepted: UBC (interview)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa 3.66/4.33, s-gpa 3.83/4.33 , McGill 3.6ish, UBC: 84%ish
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

• 80 hours at a pediatric centre for pre-school children with developmental delays and disabilities, shadowing OTs in sensory integration therapy sessions
  • 6 months working as a teaching assistant for primary students with special educational needs, co-teaches in a SEN class, leads a writing workshop for dyslexic kids,  responsible for individualised education plan for a kid with autism and dyslexia, daily cooperation with a interdisciplinary team of SEN teachers, therapists and psychologists
  • 1 year as an executive member of uni's psychology society, where we held community educational events on mental health awareness and volunteered for the local psyc rehab
  • 1 year mentoring international students and juniors in student halls
  • 1 summer volunteering for a marine conversation project
  • pretty strong references from the OT i've been shadowing since august 2019 who is very confident in my ability and suitability, a research supervisor i assisted for 1 semester (she used our final paper graded A for her research fund application) and a professor i've taken 2 courses with and got an A+ from who knows me and my academic skills well

Perceived weakness

• not even a relevant major... political science and comparative literature, I'd love to advocate for more widespread OT application in the public healthcare in the future though since OT is proven to reduce re-admittance and my government ignores it

got the invite from UBC a few days ago! didn't think i'd hear back since my experience seems not diverse enough from what i've read on forums, but i'm excited to go! my anatomy pre-req is still under progress but i'm failing to find a proctor since all schools are closed (coronavirus - i'm HK-based), hope things will get sorted out lol

*** anyone interested in interview practice via skype? let me know :)

34 minutes ago, Hopefullypositive said:

Still haven't heard from UBC PT. Just wondering, does anyone know if they will send an invite to a gmail address? I didn't attend ubc so I dont have an email. 

Yea they email to personal emails so you are fine. I suspect they’ll email this week, if not today. Since on Friday they sent out invites at 4 I’m waiting till 4 today to see what happens 

43 minutes ago, MP124 said:

Still waiting for an email from UBC for Physio. Has anyone inquired with the department regarding the status of their application? I am wondering if we’ll get an email either way, or only if we get an interview.

We will get a rejection email if we don’t get an interview so we should hear something! I’m waiting for an email too, but since ubc was closed on Monday for the stat holiday they should be getting back to people this week. The interviews are beginning of March so they should let us know soon...

I might call them tomorrow if they don’t let us know today, I can pass on whatever they say onto this chat 

8 minutes ago, PTbound07 said:

We will get a rejection email if we don’t get an interview so we should hear something! I’m waiting for an email too, but since ubc was closed on Monday for the stat holiday they should be getting back to people this week. The interviews are beginning of March so they should let us know soon...

I might call them tomorrow if they don’t let us know today, I can pass on whatever they say onto this chat 

Thanks so much for your response! Please do keep us posted if you call. Given the interview date is soon approaching, I really hope we hear soon!