Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

48 minutes ago, PT PT PT said:

Hi everyone! I applied this round but I honestly don't think I will get it because of an unfortunate grade on my transcript that ruined my subGPA. I have been working for the past two years, taking courses to push it out of my subGPA so I need a couple more courses to do that. Anyways, I've only tried applying to Ontario schools so for my next attempt I want to apply to more schools across Canada to increase my chances, even though my preference is to stay in the province. Can anyone give me insight on applying to outside-ontario schools? It is quite intimidating for me, but I want to be a PT so much that I have to give it a shot. Any help is appreciated :)

In regards to applying to schools outside of Ontario if I was you I would focus on applying to schools that offer more seats to OOP candidates. You will need to look at each site individually but it would be strategic to apply to schools that offer more OOP seats compared to others (example Dal vs Manitoba). 

1 hour ago, aspiringphysiotherapist said:

Hey! I got the same "invited" notification on Acorn last year and was offered an acceptance so you can start celebrating ahaha

Wow that gives me some relief! Would you mind sharing when you found out if your acceptance was for UTM or St. George? Where can I find campus assignment information of Acorn? 

2 hours ago, PT PT PT said:

Hi everyone! I applied this round but I honestly don't think I will get it because of an unfortunate grade on my transcript that ruined my subGPA. I have been working for the past two years, taking courses to push it out of my subGPA so I need a couple more courses to do that. Anyways, I've only tried applying to Ontario schools so for my next attempt I want to apply to more schools across Canada to increase my chances, even though my preference is to stay in the province. Can anyone give me insight on applying to outside-ontario schools? It is quite intimidating for me, but I want to be a PT so much that I have to give it a shot. Any help is appreciated :)

Hey! I'm from Ontario as well. I would say one thing I wished I paid attention to earlier is the prerequisites because they usually require more prerequisites than Ontario's regular anat, phgy, etc (for example, UofA requires courses in Canadian Indigenous History and human movement; both of which are not required in Ontario). I wasn't able to apply to a couple of universities solely because of the prerequisites that I didn't have, so if you're planning to take extra courses, I'd say keep that in mind! 

This year was my second time applying. I got an acceptance from McGill, but I prefer to stay in Ontario so I'm crossing my fingers for tonight. If you don't get in this round, try again next year! Good luck, you got this! :) 

6 minutes ago, Lina said:

Hey! I'm from Ontario as well. I would say one thing I wished I paid attention to earlier is the prerequisites because they usually require more prerequisites than Ontario's regular anat, phgy, etc (for example, UofA requires courses in Canadian Indigenous History and human movement; both of which are not required in Ontario). I wasn't able to apply to a couple of universities solely because of the prerequisites that I didn't have, so if you're planning to take extra courses, I'd say keep that in mind! 

This year was my second time applying. I got an acceptance from McGill, but I prefer to stay in Ontario so I'm crossing my fingers for tonight. If you don't get in this round, try again next year! Good luck, you got this! :) 

Hey! Thank you for that info it helps a lot since I’m starting to plan for fall! Did you consider applying to UBC or Dalhousie and found it was the same case? 

Congrats on McGill though! That’s awesome :) If you don’t mind, can I ask how the process was of applying there? And it isn’t a French-speaking program right?

Best of luck for getting into Ontario too! :)

3 hours ago, PT PT PT said:

Definitely check out the different pre-reqs and program lengths, but also check out residency requirements. What U of A considers an Albertan applicant, and what U of S considers a Saskatchewan residents are a bit different. 

If cost of living is important, check out the differences between cities. I'd love to be on the west coast and go to UBC, but a) I don't have physics and b) living in Vancouver is not within my budget.

You may not have a lot of extra time when in school, but if there are activities that you love to do, like kayaking or skiing or biking, check out their availability near the schools you're most interested in, or if there are local groups that you can join. It makes it a bit less intimidating to move to a completely new place. Plus, with all the stress of school, we all need a little bit of fun. 

You got this!

32 minutes ago, OT1996 said:

Is it? Are all the schools going to be online?

I have heard that most schools have hinted at being online like McMaster. A friend of mine in the program told me that UofT is planning for a full online fall semester for incoming students.

Hey guys! Getting so excited / nervous to find out about Ontario schools! Those who have been through this process before - will the offers show up on our ORPAS at midnight or do we receive emails at midnight ? I realize that maybe not all the schools will be available at midnight but for the ones that are where should I expect to hear from them?

58 minutes ago, PTOTHOPEFUL said:

Hey guys! Getting so excited / nervous to find out about Ontario schools! Those who have been through this process before - will the offers show up on our ORPAS at midnight or do we receive emails at midnight ? I realize that maybe not all the schools will be available at midnight but for the ones that are where should I expect to hear from them?

ORPAS probably won't be updated till tomorrow afternoon or next week. 

UWO usually updates student center at midnight (will send you an email just before midnight as well) 

Queen's will email you the offer letter just past midnight

McMaster will email you the offer letter 10-15 mins past midnight

U of T will email you early in the morning - I received mine 7am (Unless you have access to ACORN - you should see it by now if you are admitted)

This was my personal experience. Good luck everybody !!! 5 hours to GO

26 minutes ago, FowlerKennedy said:

ORPAS probably won't be updated till tomorrow afternoon or next week. 

UWO usually updates student center at midnight (will send you an email just before midnight as well) 

Queen's will email you the offer letter just past midnight

McMaster will email you the offer letter 10-15 mins past midnight

U of T will email you early in the morning - I received mine 7am (Unless you have access to ACORN - you should see it by now if you are admitted)

This was my personal experience. Good luck everybody !!! 5 hours to GO

This is super helpful. Thank you!

So we won't know the UofT campus assignment until 7 am?? :(