Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Applied (OT): U of A, UBC, U of M
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.83, sGPA: 3.95 (I think these are right, both out of 4.0?)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I think my letter of intent/essays were pretty well done, but I also don't have anything to compare it to so I'm sort of nervous about that. I'm pretty confident in my references. I have a lot of research experience (3.5 years in a lab during undergrad, 1 year in a different lab after undergrad). In the lab work during undergrad I did a poster presentation at two conferences, and have a publication from my honours thesis work. However, that stuff is  completely unrelated to OT (bird neuroanatomy), so I'm not sure how much it will matter. My post-undergrad research work was a little bit more relevant. I've been working in disability services for the last year and shadowed a few OTs.

For a number of reasons, I've decided to only go for U of A. I know it's not the best decision but I have a family that lives in Alberta so I don't want to go too far. I got a UBC interview invite a week ago but have declined it.

So far I've just been making a list of sample questions, from interview lists or the **DELETED** website, and practicing writing my answers out for them or recording myself answering them. I'm not sure what the timing is like for the questions though, so I don't know how much detail to include. Anyone have any insights? 

22 minutes ago, GivinPTaShot said:

So far I've just been making a list of sample questions, from interview lists or the **DELETED** website, and practicing writing my answers out for them or recording myself answering them. I'm not sure what the timing is like for the questions though, so I don't know how much detail to include. Anyone have any insights? 

what deleted website?

1 hour ago, mjot said:

Hey looking for advice! This is my first grad school interview (it's @ UBC for OT) what do I wear?? I'm female. Full suit? Dress pants and blouse? Dress pants and blazer? Any thoughts helpful haha

I’m also trying to figure out what to wear! Not sure how formal to go. 

35 minutes ago, Hopefullypositive said:

ptbound07 have you heard from UBC PT yet?

not yet, but the people who did receive invites had to confirm their attendance by the 21st so I think this week will be when people get the rest of the invites from the newly-available slots. Rejections will be sent out too. Im debating if I should call today since someone else from this forum already did and they told them that they'll hear within this week

18 minutes ago, Sarah31 said:

I’m also trying to figure out what to wear! Not sure how formal to go. 

Ive never done an interview but I know girls who have and they wore dress pants or formal paper-bag pants with a nice blouse while some wore blazers. I guess wear what you'd wear to a job interview (A dress might be too formal but a skirt will be nice)

6 hours ago, PTbound07 said:

not yet, but the people who did receive invites had to confirm their attendance by the 21st so I think this week will be when people get the rest of the invites from the newly-available slots. Rejections will be sent out too. Im debating if I should call today since someone else from this forum already did and they told them that they'll hear within this week

I just got an email from ubc 

On 2/24/2020 at 8:50 AM, mjot said:

Hey looking for advice! This is my first grad school interview (it's @ UBC for OT) what do I wear?? I'm female. Full suit? Dress pants and blouse? Dress pants and blazer? Any thoughts helpful haha

I only went to the PT interview last year, but I would recommend semi-formal. I wore suit pants, a white dress shirt and dress shoes. There were some people in suits and other people in ties. I can't say that I noticed what them women were wearing, but I'm pretty sure dress pants and a blouse would be perfect. 

I approached it from the standpoint of what physios practice in - you're never going to work wearing formal wear, so going to the interview in that is probably not appropriate. With that being said I would say you should dress in whatever makes you feel good/sharp and if that is formal and it makes you feel confident then certainly that's ok!