Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

I'm not sure if anybody has asked this before but I was wondering if anybody knows if McMaster OT waitlist moves quite a bit in the past?  I'm in the #30s and not sure what my chances are looking like. Correct me if I am wrong but there's like 67 spots? Trying to be hopeful. Mac was my first choice :(

1 minute ago, P to the T said:
3 minutes ago, P to the T said:

It's possible, who knows! I was also looking at it from Mac's POV in which they might have to change the way things are done a bit more drastically than other programs that don't do PBL/SLG, and then it could make a bit more confusing of environment overall for students and staff.

not being biased haha but as a current mac PT student, mac has done an exceptional job transitioning to online and the experience of PBL and other courses being online has not been altered at all - it also gives you a better chance to meet and interact with small groups of your classmates online than if you are only in large lectures online

3 hours ago, GO(A)T said:

Hi there! Thanks for providing this information :) Sorry if this question has been answered already - but how did you find out where you were on the Western Waitlist? Thanks! 

Hey! I received an email from western where they stated where I was on the waitlist! 

2 hours ago, Mikk said:

Accepted to U of T, Western, McMaster, and Queens for OT, and just accepted at western so that should free up some wait-listed spots :). If anyone makes a Facebook group or chat for accepted OT students at Western let me know! 

I'm down to join if you make one!

Hi, everyone - I'm looking for some wisdom about OT programs. I am in the waitlist/accepted/pending decision boat for the OT programs for these 4 schools: 

UBC, U of Alberta, McMaster, Dalhousie

Do you have wisdom about student satisfaction in any of these programs or schools? I have some knowledge, but each is so different, especially in location, and so it would be really helpful to have any extra information you could share.

Hello! I'm from BC and am currently deciding between U of T OT and U of A OT.  Is anyone in the same boat?

Also, did anyone receive a scholarship from U of T OT? I thought I read something about applicants with top "x' GPA would receive a 1000 scholarship on the U of T website, but it seems like that has changed now...? Not sure if I misread it, if anyone can clarify this that would be wonderful!

44 minutes ago, P to the T said:

I feel like a lot of people are going to end up dropping Mac PT because the PBL and small group learning outline might end up being extremely frustrating with Online learning / COVID etc, and if people have offers to other programs it would be a lot easier to just go elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see how drastic of changes Mac makes to the program.

Really curious as to why you think tutorials is more difficult to do online? PBL is the exact same no matter if you rent a small room and talk about the material in groups of 6-8 or if you have a zoom meeting of groups of 6-8 to talk about the material. PBL works by you going to do the research on a topic independently and presenting it to a small group and discussing it, by no means is this impacted because of covid we made the switch from in person to online over one weekend back in April. Mac has actually been the school that has been least impacted by the move to online with the only exception being clinical lab class (which we are returning to in July). One of the main advantages Mac compared to other schools with the move to online is it has the least amount of large in person classes per week compared to any school and this is due to PBT

46 minutes ago, Psyched4OTPT said:

Funny I actually think the opposite - PBL and small groups has the best chance of being in person the soonest and could be easier to connect virtually with small groups as oppose to a one way lecture prompting no discussion! Mac is also my top choice though so maybe I’m just biased haha

I would 100% agree with this, "psyched4OTPT" see my response above. 

1 hour ago, P to the T said:

I feel like a lot of people are going to end up dropping Mac PT because the PBL and small group learning outline might end up being extremely frustrating with Online learning / COVID etc, and if people have offers to other programs it would be a lot easier to just go elsewhere.  It will be interesting to see how drastic of changes Mac makes to the program.

They're planning to do an info session next week, hopefully they address some of this!

13 minutes ago, HK2018 said:

Really curious as to why you think tutorials is more difficult to do online? PBL is the exact same no matter if you rent a small room and talk about the material in groups of 6-8 or if you have a zoom meeting of groups of 6-8 to talk about the material. PBL works by you going to do the research on a topic independently and presenting it to a small group and discussing it, by no means is this impacted because of covid we made the switch from in person to online over one weekend back in April. Mac has actually been the school that has been least impacted by the move to online with the only exception being clinical lab class (which we are returning to in July). One of the main advantages Mac compared to other schools with the move to online is it has the least amount of large in person classes per week compared to any school and this is due to PBT

I would 100% agree with this, "psyched4OTPT" see my response above. 

@HK2018Do you know what they plan to do for clinical labs and placements come the fall? 

16 minutes ago, GivinPTaShot said:

@HK2018Do you know what they plan to do for clinical labs and placements come the fall? 

I answered a similar question in the" McMaster MPT/OT" thread I can't really comment on what they will do for the new cohort because I don't really know but I can say the staff and leadership has been absolutely amazing during all this, we have had one clear message from the start. You will be in good hands