Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

2 hours ago, AlliPT said:

What happens if we accept an offer (because they're due june 12th), and then we get a call from western? I am in the upper third, and how does that work if on june 20th western accepts us??

Hey so basically deadline for first round offers is June 12th (for those who already have been accepted). For those on the waitlist, we have to wait until spots open up. Once you accept an offer, your off the waitlist for other schools.

25 minutes ago, ptapps said:

Hey so basically deadline for first round offers is June 12th (for those who already have been accepted). For those on the waitlist, we have to wait until spots open up. Once you accept an offer, your off the waitlist for other schools.

Hey, do you know how accepting an OT offer would affect my PT waitlist? I was accepted to OT for UoT but waitlisted for a PT in UoT and western as well. 

9 minutes ago, David23 said:

Hey, do you know how accepting an OT offer would affect my PT waitlist? I was accepted to OT for UoT but waitlisted for a PT in UoT and western as well. 

No correlation with PT and OT waitlist and acceptances those are two different programs. So it won't impact your PT waitlist

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT: U of A, U of T, Western, Mac, Queen's
Accepted: U of A, U of T, Western
Waitlisted: Queen's
Rejected: Mac
GPA:c-gpa=3.5 sgpa=3.7
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I thought my references and essays were pretty good, both very relevant to OT. I felt better after writing the CASPER than any other exam I wrote this year so I'm thinking that really helped me out.

Accepted (all PT): Queens, UofT, and Dal

cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.96   

I have worked as a PTA for almost a year and also have worked as a research assistant. I have also volunteered with various sports teams over the past 3 years.

My reference letters were from one of my profs who I knew quite well and from my current boss who is a physiotherapist.I took the casper last year and felt much more confident about it this year. Was unsure about the CAP but I guess it went okay!

Originally Dal was my top school as it's close to home but with everything going on I will most likely accept Queens. Congrats to everyone accepted!! Feel free to message if anyone has questions :)

6 hours ago, OTProgramUofT said:

Hi Everybody,

congrats to all who were accepted into the program of  choice. You should be very proud!!!

I applied for OT at UofT only because I’m unable to relocate anywhere else but unfortunately was rejected. I’m looking to apply next year but was wondering if there is a way to increase my GPA after completing my BA? So If I take more courses as a non-degree, will they be counted in my GPA?

also for people who have volunteered with an OT, how do you go about this? 

by sGPA was 3.63, I had field work experience working with disabled individuals and currently working in the disability management field for 3 years .. I don’t know where I went wrong. I hate that they don’t provide you with feedback  :(

again congratulations to all who were accepted!! 

Also what were your essay topics for the OT trends question? Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe my essay wasn’t the greatest either. 

Thanks for those who’ve responded, its super helpful knowing what to improve on.. getting into OT is my dream. 

You've got a great attitude! I was rejected from PT this year (U of A), and in all honesty, it sucks. But, its going to be great. Now, I've got a window of time that I can use to my advantage!

I'm not sure how GPA/sGPA is affected for U of T, but for U of A, courses taken after a degree certainly count. Because my first couple degrees had no science/anatomy/biology subject matter, I've done all my prereqs as after degree courses, and they are all counting towards my GPA. 

Although you are not relocating, it might be useful to look at what other schools require for courses. U of M PT requires biology (with genetics component), childhood psych, and aging. Even if I never go to U of M, if those courses are considered valuable enough to be an admission requirement for a PT program, they'll probably be of value to me. Since I'm taking courses to up my GPA anyways, I might as well take them. I'm sure there are similar things with OT.

You got this!

24 minutes ago, NSPT said:

Accepted (all PT): Queens, UofT, and Dal

cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.96   

I have worked as a PTA for almost a year and also have worked as a research assistant. I have also volunteered with various sports teams over the past 3 years.

My reference letters were from one of my profs who I knew quite well and from my current boss who is a physiotherapist.I took the casper last year and felt much more confident about it this year. Was unsure about the CAP but I guess it went okay!

Originally Dal was my top school as it's close to home but with everything going on I will most likely accept Queens. Congrats to everyone accepted!! Feel free to message if anyone has questions :)

What made you look to queens? Anything in particular? I'm debating between mcmaster and queens and I'm not sure! Queens is farther from home (4 hours) and I'd be living away from my spouse. I cant decide if it's a valid concern to want to be closer when it is such a short program and if I should just exclude that from my consideration. 

2 hours ago, ptapps said:

hey! so if you “provisionally” accept the offer, you can actually choose to remain considered for other schools that you may be on a waitlist for. There is a difference between choosing “firm” and “provisional” on the ORPAS site, so be careful what you choose haha!

41 minutes ago, AlliPT said:

What made you look to queens? Anything in particular? I'm debating between mcmaster and queens and I'm not sure! Queens is farther from home (4 hours) and I'd be living away from my spouse. I cant decide if it's a valid concern to want to be closer when it is such a short program and if I should just exclude that from my consideration. 

The main reason I looked into Queens was because of location. I've been to Kingston before and I really liked the atmosphere and it's not too big or too small. I've also heard they have a more hands on approach and a good sense of community within the program. I don't know much about mcmaster so I can't really compare the two programs. I think wherever you decide to go you'll get a great education!

3 hours ago, OT Please Accept Me said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT: U of A, U of T, Western, Mac, Queen's
Accepted: U of A, U of T, Western
Waitlisted: Queen's
Rejected: Mac
GPA:c-gpa=3.5 sgpa=3.7
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I thought my references and essays were pretty good, both very relevant to OT. I felt better after writing the CASPER than any other exam I wrote this year so I'm thinking that really helped me out.

Hey, congrats! What school are you leaning towards? 

6 hours ago, PTornotPT said:

I was accepted by McMaster, Western, and McGill QY (all for PT). Waitlisted by UofT. I'm leaning heavily towards Mac right now for PBL but interested to hear people's insights on the other programs. For those choosing Western, what are some of your reasons? 

I've heard amazing things about Western for their PT program, and they were my number 1 choice by far! Unfortunately I didn't get accepted there, but there's always next year I guess!

1 minute ago, P to the T said:

I've heard amazing things about Western for their PT program, and they were my number 1 choice by far! Unfortunately I didn't get accepted there, but there's always next year I guess!

Same here!! I thought I had a great application for Western but still ended up coming short. From the sounds of it I think they had a really strong pool of applicants this year compared to other years. Good luck, hopefully you'll get into somewhere soon!

2 hours ago, J.H said:

You've got a great attitude! I was rejected from PT this year (U of A), and in all honesty, it sucks. But, its going to be great. Now, I've got a window of time that I can use to my advantage!

I'm not sure how GPA/sGPA is affected for U of T, but for U of A, courses taken after a degree certainly count. Because my first couple degrees had no science/anatomy/biology subject matter, I've done all my prereqs as after degree courses, and they are all counting towards my GPA. 

Although you are not relocating, it might be useful to look at what other schools require for courses. U of M PT requires biology (with genetics component), childhood psych, and aging. Even if I never go to U of M, if those courses are considered valuable enough to be an admission requirement for a PT program, they'll probably be of value to me. Since I'm taking courses to up my GPA anyways, I might as well take them. I'm sure there are similar things with OT.

You got this!

Thanks J.H that’s a great suggestion. 
best of luck to you as well!!!

So many of us have been asking about the waitlist movement. I’m on the Queen’s OT waitlist & I know we’re all so anxious! But I think we all need to breathe & wait until the first round offer deadline of June 12, movement from other years can’t predict what this year’s could be. Shortly after then, there will definitely be some movement in the lists. It sucks that we can’t make time go faster, but just remember that even being placed on the waitlist shows that we have something special about our applications. Just keep hoping & the day will come eventually! Good luck everyone :)

Applied (all PT): Mcmaster, Queens, Western, U of T 

Accepted: McMaster, Queens, U of T

Waitlisted: Western (upper 3rd)

CGPA: 3.88

SubGPA: 3.93

Experience: OTA & PTA diploma with placements in a clinic, LTC, and consolidation in a hospital, as well as positions on Dean's Council and Student Representation Committees, 4 years' work experience in a multidisciplinary clinic with a Chiropractor, naturopath, and physio as a rehab assistant, and some volunteer with a local homeless support organization. 

References: one from my current employer at the clinic, and from an OT who was also the OTA/PTA program coordinator and my former professor.

I am leaning toward McMaster at this point! Originally Western was my first choice, and I feel like I may still get an offer but I like the Mac catchment area better, and their NSS opportunity is super cool! 

Congrats to everyone who got accepted and waitlisted! They're all big accomplishments! 

7 minutes ago, AlliPT said:

Applied (all PT): Mcmaster, Queens, Western, U of T 

Accepted: McMaster, Queens, U of T

Waitlisted: Western (upper 3rd)

CGPA: 3.88

SubGPA: 3.93

Experience: OTA & PTA diploma with placements in a clinic, LTC, and consolidation in a hospital, as well as positions on Dean's Council and Student Representation Committees, 4 years' work experience in a multidisciplinary clinic with a Chiropractor, naturopath, and physio as a rehab assistant, and some volunteer with a local homeless support organization. 

References: one from my current employer at the clinic, and from an OT who was also the OTA/PTA program coordinator and my former professor.

I am leaning toward McMaster at this point! Originally Western was my first choice, and I feel like I may still get an offer but I like the Mac catchment area better, and their NSS opportunity is super cool! 

Congrats to everyone who got accepted and waitlisted! They're all big accomplishments! 

That's got to be a tough choice to make. Probably a pretty good chance you would get off of that Western waitlist though right? That's got to be a hard one to turn down! (Frankly turning down any of those other 3 schools has got to be hard).

5 minutes ago, P to the T said:

That's got to be a tough choice to make. Probably a pretty good chance you would get off of that Western waitlist though right? That's got to be a hard one to turn down! (Frankly turning down any of those other 3 schools has got to be hard).

It is a tough choice for sure! U of T isn't my preference because the large city is not the ideal environment for me, and I believe I will get off the western waitlist, and I'm going to be making notes and evaluating it as a pretend option so that I am prepared to make the decision should the opportunity arise! We are lucky in ontario to have 4 amazing schools to choose from, and I'm sure no matter where we all go itll be a great experience! I think it's down to mcmaster or western:)

8 minutes ago, AlliPT said:

It is a tough choice for sure! U of T isn't my preference because the large city is not the ideal environment for me, and I believe I will get off the western waitlist, and I'm going to be making notes and evaluating it as a pretend option so that I am prepared to make the decision should the opportunity arise! We are lucky in ontario to have 4 amazing schools to choose from, and I'm sure no matter where we all go itll be a great experience! I think it's down to mcmaster or western:)

If you don't mind me asking is there a reason you aren't considering Queen's? I got accepted to these schools as well but I don't know much about them as I am out of province so deciding which offer to accept has been a struggle!

22 minutes ago, LMC said:

If you don't mind me asking is there a reason you aren't considering Queen's? I got accepted to these schools as well but I don't know much about them as I am out of province so deciding which offer to accept has been a struggle!

Hey! Honestly, my reasons dont have a whole lot to do with the school or program. I live 4 hours away in Barrie and with the semester being partially online and partially in class, I dont want to move away and pay rent to be on campus like 2 days per week, but it's too far to commute. Also, their catchment area is gigantic, meaning if I move to kingston, I could very well have a placement 2 hours away in Toronto, because much of their catchment area overlaps with U of T, and if I wanted to be in the GTA I'd go there. I think Kingston is beautiful and I really did want to go there for quite some time but I do have a spouse and my home base is Barrie, so I am taking my personal life into consideration in my decision too :) if queens is your school definitely go there!! Especially if you are moving out of province you're going far anyway!

30 minutes ago, AlliPT said:

Hey! Honestly, my reasons dont have a whole lot to do with the school or program. I live 4 hours away in Barrie and with the semester being partially online and partially in class, I dont want to move away and pay rent to be on campus like 2 days per week, but it's too far to commute. Also, their catchment area is gigantic, meaning if I move to kingston, I could very well have a placement 2 hours away in Toronto, because much of their catchment area overlaps with U of T, and if I wanted to be in the GTA I'd go there. I think Kingston is beautiful and I really did want to go there for quite some time but I do have a spouse and my home base is Barrie, so I am taking my personal life into consideration in my decision too :) if queens is your school definitely go there!! Especially if you are moving out of province you're going far anyway!

No way, I’m from Barrie too! :) I’m hoping to get admitted to Queen’s - at this point I don’t mind the large catchment area as long as I get accepted haha. Congrats on your acceptances & good luck with your choices!