Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

12 hours ago, PTPTPT12345 said:

@OhBoyyyy @PikaPikaPTChu Can I ask which day you received your email that you were on the waitlist for UBC PT? I received mine on April 21. I have heard others got their waitlist offers on March 31. I think that the day you received your waitlist offer may have some relation to where you are on the list but I could be wrong. The wait is also killing me haha

I got the waitlist email on April 21st as well. Trying to figure out UBC's email protocol using exact dates has given me a headache LOL

9 hours ago, newtoOT said:

Ohh I'm sorry! *facepalm*  I had mentioned the U of T Open House in an earlier post and got mixed up. There was indeed a Western Virtual Open House today about returning to campus (general, not OT specific) - you can find it on the Western Facebook page. I didn't find it all that informative though for us. I think I had come across it through Facebook or on the website, not by e-mail.

No worries! And thank you... I’ll go follow them! :) 

I'm in the bottom half of the Dal PT waitlist (From NS). When I asked admissions, they wouldn't tell me how big the NS waitlist was. Does anyone else on the Dal PT waitlist know where they stand or if you've received an offer yet? Trying to get an idea of how much the waitlist might move.

22 minutes ago, PTcruiser said:

I'm in the bottom half of the Dal PT waitlist (From NS). When I asked admissions, they wouldn't tell me how big the NS waitlist was. Does anyone else on the Dal PT waitlist know where they stand or if you've received an offer yet? Trying to get an idea of how much the waitlist might move.

Hey, do you mind sharing your gpa? Just wondering where I might fall in - I’m likely going to decline even if I get a spot off the waitlist. Thinking Id rather stay in OT.

34 minutes ago, OTHopes97 said:

Hey, do you mind sharing your gpa? Just wondering where I might fall in - I’m likely going to decline even if I get a spot off the waitlist. Thinking Id rather stay in OT.

My sub-gpa was around 3.6 I believe, and I felt like I did fairly OK on the CASPer test this year. I'm confident my CASPer result was better this year than when I applied for Dal last year

On 5/30/2020 at 10:55 PM, Strawbaby said:

No way, I’m from Barrie too! :) I’m hoping to get admitted to Queen’s - at this point I don’t mind the large catchment area as long as I get accepted haha. Congrats on your acceptances & good luck with your choices!

Were you accepted anywhere else?

Hi friends! I've been following this thread for a while and figured I'd contribute. 

Applied: UBC, Queens, UofT (All PT)
Accepted: -
Waitlisted: Queens, UofT
Rejected: UBC (post interview, and apparently later than a lot of people. Close to a waitlist?)
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: 3.7 / 3.9 (ORPAS)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I think my essays and references were strong enough. What I believe I lack is long term experience. I somehow crammed ~80 hours volunteering in cardiac rehab at a hospital and ~25hrs in a swimming program with a cerebral palsy patient into 3 months immediately prior to applying in order to pile on the hours - all while working a full time job + training as a competitive athlete (do not recommend!). I really threw my application together last minute. 

I see a lot of people on here with really solid experience over longer periods of time, and I think that shows a school that you are committed to becoming a health care worker. Fortunately my GPA is decent, which balances out the lack of experience a bit, but certainly cannot replace it. I think my lack of experience showed in the UBC interview, even though I performed relatively well. 

If I could do it over, I would start gathering that specific experience much earlier, and compile it over a longer period of time! This was my first attempt anywhere, so If I managed to get in off a wait list at either Queens or UofT I would be elated. I hope I hear something soon since I live in BC, and plan to drive over to Ontario if I get in.

Congrats to all who got accepted! 

3 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Does anyone else's ORPAS for Queens OT say the offer expires June 10th? I emailed them to ask but have not received a response.

It is supposed to be June 12.

My Queens PT offer says this, but the email I received from them with my acceptance says June 12. I don't really care though considering I've already accepted the offer so!

10 minutes ago, PTPebbles said:

My Queens PT offer says this, but the email I received from them with my acceptance says June 12. I don't really care though considering I've already accepted the offer so!

Mine said that too. However it has since been corrected 

I was wondering if any current students can comment on the course load in OT programs. I have only ever taken max 4 courses a semester in undergrad. There was one semester that I took 5 and found it really tough (also because I was trying to get high grades not just pass). I am trying to wrap my head around managing 6-7 courses a semester (for Queens and UofT). Do some classes not have assessments or aren't as heavy? Can someone provide insight. Thanks

Just now, Colby1373 said:

I will be. I'm just debating if I should wait a bit to see if I get off the waitlist for Western. The more I think about it though the more I think Mac is for me. Have you accepted yours?

I'm in your exact situation! Accepted to mac, u of t, and queens, top third for westerns waitlist. I am in the same boat as I used to want western and queens but when I write out the pros and cons for each school, western and queens dont stand out as much as mac (northern ontario opportunity, research symposium to get published, smallest class size so it's more personal, the problem based learning probably gives a lot of clinical relevance, the catchment area is great, and Hamilton seems lovely). I dont actually even know what drew me to the other schools to be honest lol. It seems more and more that mac is for me too. PM me and we can chat! I havent firmly accepted yet, just going over all my options still to make sure! 

On 6/1/2020 at 11:19 PM, Othopeful13 said:

Hey, I did! Yes think of scenarios from your personal life that can answer interview questions (ex: leadership, a time where you had conflict). I would also think about relevant definitions and how they relate to OT, such as diversity and equality. Moreover, have a few reasons of why you want to be OT. Also try to think of 2-3 questions to ask the interviewers at the end :) I would also ensure your answers are concise and that you are actually answering the question instead of rambling. I wish you good luck!!! 

Thank you so much :)!