Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

50 minutes ago, hopeIbeOT said:

I’m also trying to decide between UofT and Mcmaster OT! Super appreciate if anyone can share insights on the quality of education/faculty/administrative support, school/OT department culture, lifestyle, job prospects, overall personal experiences, etc. 

Hey! I was deciding between Mac and U of T as well and I ended up deciding on Mac! Feel free to message me if you want to know my reasoning! :)

24 minutes ago, RahulSia said:

Hi guys! I have been waitlisted for Queen’s PT and was wondering if anyone knows their waitlist position, or if we will get to know anything in the coming days? Any information on this would be of huge help! Thank you and congrats to all those that got in! 

Hi! I’m waitlisted for Queen’s OT. From the look of this forum, no one has received any waitlist offers from Ontario schools yet, & Queen’s is not disclosing waitlist positions this year unfortunately. Although in my research, it looks like Queen’s medical school waitlist admissions were sent out once a week on the same day. So I think we just have to wait for this Friday to see if there’s any movement, then if not we wait for the next week after that. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Walrus08 said:

Hey! I was deciding between Mac and U of T as well and I ended up deciding on Mac! Feel free to message me if you want to know my reasoning! :)

Some people have messaged me so I decided to just make a public post instead of sending individual messages! I'm second on the waitlist at Mac, so all of this decision-making is IF I get in. I also decided I would choose Mac over Western if I ever got off the Western waitlist too! This was all based on my own research, opinions and talking to some people in the programs. 

1) I read some really bad things about U of T about their curriculum. I looked at the 2019 forum as well and there were about 3 people telling everyone not to go to U of T for OT because they were currently enrolled and were having a bad experience. They explained that there was limited practical experience and it was very research and theory focused! I also looked at all their course descriptions and noticed a lot of research classes, which I'm not interested in. Props to you if research and theory is your thing, but it's not for me! That being said, I also talked to some people in the program right now and they're having a great experience! They like the curriculum and the vast amount of placements they can do in hospitals and in the catchment area!

2) Toronto is very expensive and a busy place for COVID right now! I want to go somewhere where I'd have the best chance for some in-person and practical experiences (if it works out anyways). Also, the catchment area for Mac was more convenient for me as it pretty much spans from Hamilton-area to my home town! I also went to Brock for my undergrad, so I have a lot of connections and friends around this region! 

3) I was SUPER nervous about problem-based learning at Mac, but I have talked to some people in the program and they said it's something you totally get used to! I feel like it will allow me to gain more practical experience and feel more confident when I go into the work field! I like the independent aspect of it and the great reviews I've heard about staff support, the family-vibe of students and the learning style! 

4) I love how Mac has a mandatory mental health placement! Mental health is something that interests me and I would love to see if it's a good fit for me in the future. Also, the placement starts a lot earlier than U of T! Your first one is in November for Mac versus sometime in the summer (I think) for U of T. I'm very focused on getting that practical experience!

Anyways, I hope this helps! And all being said, I've talked to people who love U of T and their OT program. I have just decided that the area, learning style and curriculum are a good fit for me at Mac! This is definitely just my personal opinion, but I hope this helps someone! Feel free to ask me any other questions!

2 hours ago, Walrus08 said:

Some people have messaged me so I decided to just make a public post instead of sending individual messages! I'm second on the waitlist at Mac, so all of this decision-making is IF I get in. I also decided I would choose Mac over Western if I ever got off the Western waitlist too! This was all based on my own research, opinions and talking to some people in the programs. 

1) I read some really bad things about U of T about their curriculum. I looked at the 2019 forum as well and there were about 3 people telling everyone not to go to U of T for OT because they were currently enrolled and were having a bad experience. They explained that there was limited practical experience and it was very research and theory focused! I also looked at all their course descriptions and noticed a lot of research classes, which I'm not interested in. Props to you if research and theory is your thing, but it's not for me! That being said, I also talked to some people in the program right now and they're having a great experience! They like the curriculum and the vast amount of placements they can do in hospitals and in the catchment area!

2) Toronto is very expensive and a busy place for COVID right now! I want to go somewhere where I'd have the best chance for some in-person and practical experiences (if it works out anyways). Also, the catchment area for Mac was more convenient for me as it pretty much spans from Hamilton-area to my home town! I also went to Brock for my undergrad, so I have a lot of connections and friends around this region! 

3) I was SUPER nervous about problem-based learning at Mac, but I have talked to some people in the program and they said it's something you totally get used to! I feel like it will allow me to gain more practical experience and feel more confident when I go into the work field! I like the independent aspect of it and the great reviews I've heard about staff support, the family-vibe of students and the learning style! 

4) I love how Mac has a mandatory mental health placement! Mental health is something that interests me and I would love to see if it's a good fit for me in the future. Also, the placement starts a lot earlier than U of T! Your first one is in November for Mac versus sometime in the summer (I think) for U of T. I'm very focused on getting that practical experience!

Anyways, I hope this helps! And all being said, I've talked to people who love U of T and their OT program. I have just decided that the area, learning style and curriculum are a good fit for me at Mac! This is definitely just my personal opinion, but I hope this helps someone! Feel free to ask me any other questions!

Hey! One thing to note is that those three usernames complaining about UofT was one just person, possibly in the waitlist who wanted to get in? I’m not sure but just thought I’d like you/others know :) 

12 minutes ago, Othopeful13 said:

Hey! One thing to note is that those three usernames complaining about UofT was one just person, possibly in the waitlist who wanted to get in? I’m not sure but just thought I’d like you/others know :) 

Actually I have spoken to a current student who said that other students complain the program is more focused on theory and fluffy material (personally I don't mind the theory stuff, it's less stressful for me than having a bunch of sciency- courses). But at the end of the day it's UofT I feel they have a status and wouldn't want their students to be failing the national exam. All of the Ontario OT schools have to teach the same material to some extent and all are fully accredited so I think either way we're in good hands whatever we choose. 

Also I think that person was complaining about the addition of the UTM campus and possible disorganization because that was the first year they started it? The person I spoke with did say that they made some changes to the program after the introduction of UTM. 

On 6/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, AlliPT said:

Anyone accepting their McMaster PT offer? :)

Yup! Been a lurker on this thread for a while, but figured I'd post now that I got in. Got accepted to U of M and Mac, and decided on Mac. If any future applicants have questions about U of M, feel free to message me. They have extensive pre-req's, but other than that I believe one of the easier schools to get in; GPA is only calculated based on their pre-req courses. Hardly anyone applies from OOP. I was expecting to go there, but got pleasantly surprised with my Mac offer!

I just found this forum now wow! Best of luck to everyone in the fall, regardless of what you end up doing :) 

Is anyone declining their UofT PT offer? Its been my 1st choice for about a year now and Im waitlisted :( Im just wondering if there is still hope? Not sure how the waitlist works at UofT... I didnt get a rank or anything. 

On 6/3/2020 at 1:49 AM, Othopeful13 said:

Hey, I also accepted my UofT OT offer!! SG campus :) I’m excited to find more information about how classes will work in the virtual open house!

Hey, congrats on accepting your offer! What factors did you consider when deciding on UofT? I am trying to decide between UofT (SG campus) and Western!

Hi everyone, 

Congrats on your acceptances! I am currently deciding between Western and UofT (St. George) for OT. Both are great programs, but wondering if anyone in the same boat can comment on which school they are picking and why?

Alternatively, what factors are people considering when deciding which school to pick? 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, OT1996 said:

Actually I have spoken to a current student who said that other students complain the program is more focused on theory and fluffy material (personally I don't mind the theory stuff, it's less stressful for me than having a bunch of sciency- courses). But at the end of the day it's UofT I feel they have a status and wouldn't want their students to be failing the national exam. All of the Ontario OT schools have to teach the same material to some extent and all are fully accredited so I think either way we're in good hands whatever we choose. 

Also I think that person was complaining about the addition of the UTM campus and possible disorganization because that was the first year they started it? The person I spoke with did say that they made some changes to the program after the introduction of UTM. 

Ah okay, I see. Yeah I don’t mind theory at all since I prefer to learn the basics before I get into the fieldwork/hands-on work :) I can see that happening with the UTM campus, thanks for the info!! 

1 hour ago, Future-OT said:

Hey, congrats on accepting your offer! What factors did you consider when deciding on UofT? I am trying to decide between UofT (SG campus) and Western!

Hey, thank you! I was accepted into UofT and am waitlisted for Dal, so this was a no brainer for me haha. However, I do know that the catchment area is great at UofT as there are many hospital/clinic placements. Also, I prefer to live in the city. I think there are other topics in this forum discussing the pros/cons of those schools. Good luck!! I’m sure either school will be a great experience! 

43 minutes ago, ptapps said:

I find it odd that Queens PT said they will start contacting people on the waitlist after June 1st (I honestly think they meant June 12th). 

I feel like June 1 was the date before they changed the dates for the decision & offer expiry due to covid! So I agree, hopefully that’s changed to June 12!