Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

48 minutes ago, LMC said:

There was about 40 people on the zoom call, about half as many as the mcmaster info session.

That's very interesting, that means about 80 people were on the mcmaster info session. But doesn't the mcmaster program only have 65 available spaces for PT? I'm guessing staff take up a decent portion of the 80 people.  

45 minutes ago, Nick4PT said:

That's very interesting, that means about 80 people were on the mcmaster info session. But doesn't the mcmaster program only have 65 available spaces for PT? I'm guessing staff take up a decent portion of the 80 people.  

Hey, from what I remember, I think I saw 65ish people on the Zoom for McMaster OT.

I’ve been waitlisted at Queens OT program. I’m just wondering how the waitlist works? As people decline their offers and the waitlist moves, do the people next in line immediately receive notice of this from ORPAS? Or will everyone on the waitlist be on hold until it’s all released all at once? Just super confused about this. Thanks in advance!

31 minutes ago, OTisforMe said:

I’ve been waitlisted at Queens OT program. I’m just wondering how the waitlist works? As people decline their offers and the waitlist moves, do the people next in line immediately receive notice of this from ORPAS? Or will everyone on the waitlist be on hold until it’s all released all at once? Just super confused about this. Thanks in advance!

We’re in the same position! So far no one that I’ve seen here on an Ontario school waitlist has received an offer yet, despite other people declining Queens. So I assume they’ll be releasing some waitlist acceptances after the first round offer expiry date (June 12). However I’m unsure about whether any waitlist acceptances after the first batch goes out will continue to come out in weekly batches, or if they’ll be immediate once someone ahead on the waitlist declines the offer. We’ll have to wait & see! Good luck!

12 hours ago, Strawbaby said:

We’re in the same position! So far no one that I’ve seen here on an Ontario school waitlist has received an offer yet, despite other people declining Queens. So I assume they’ll be releasing some waitlist acceptances after the first round offer expiry date (June 12). However I’m unsure about whether any waitlist acceptances after the first batch goes out will continue to come out in weekly batches, or if they’ll be immediate once someone ahead on the waitlist declines the offer. We’ll have to wait & see! Good luck!

Wait list positions are released in blocks, only after the initial offers expire will the first round of waitlist spots be released if someone gets off the waitlist they will have X amount of days to accept or decline and so forth ie if someone declined a spot 5 days ago nobody will have received any notification to get off a waitlist until after June 12th.

9 hours ago, PTPLEASE! said:

Hi! Applying in the fall - does anyone have tips on how to ask a prof for academic reference? Like when & how to ask? (I'm also scared about my academic references because I haven't had the chance to really build a great relationship with any of my profs :( )

Hi! Honestly I would just make sure you go about it genuinely & professionally. My academic reference was a prof that I spent this last year doing research labs with, & she knew of my intent to apply to OT. I asked her in person around early November (been working with her since that September), but a professional email would suffice. Professors are most often happy to write you a reference, provided that they know you on an academic level. If you feel that you don’t have enough of a relationship with your professor, try reaching out to them this summer or fall semester. One of my classmates didn’t know her reference prof very well at first, so she made appointments to meet up with her to check over assignments, talk about the class, & discuss the professor’s & her own education & experience. If they know your commitment level to PT, your work ethic, & academic ability, then they’ll likely agree to be a reference. Good luck!

To everyone that accepted their U of T OT offers: Does your ACORN say something like 

"MSc Occupat'l Therapy - 2 yr (School of Graduate Studies)

Awaiting Confirmation"

What does awaiting confirmation mean? Is there something else that I need to do on ACORN other than paying the deposit? I accepted on ORPAS. 

12 minutes ago, Sarah31 said:

To everyone that accepted their U of T OT offers: Does your ACORN say something like 

"MSc Occupat'l Therapy - 2 yr (School of Graduate Studies)

Awaiting Confirmation"

What does awaiting confirmation mean? Is there something else that I need to do on ACORN other than paying the deposit? I accepted on ORPAS. 

What tab in Acorn are you seeing this?