Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

7 hours ago, OThopesdreams said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if there are any instances where ORPAS calculates the sub-GPA differently or if preference is given to Ontario students. My sub-GPA is 3.96 according to ORPAS, but I did not receive an email yesterday. I have checked my spam folder. Based on this thread, it seems like my sGPA was higher than the cut-off for first-round interview invites  receive a first-round interview invites. Does anyone know why I might not have received an invite or have any advice? Thanks so much!

It turns out yesterday's offer was buried deep within my junk email! So glad I discovered it! 

3 hours ago, OThopeful2020 said:

Anyone have any tips on online MMI interviews? Mine is online for McMaster OT. I'm scared it will be harder to stand out and leave an impression.  

Also, theres quite a few spots empty still for interviews so don't lose hope if you're on the waitlist! :) 

I did 2 online interviews for physio in the past, not sure if it will be exactly the same but my interviews were similar to job interviews so I definitely found it way easier than mmi's because all the questions were pretty standard questions like why do you want to go into physio/whats a big challenge physios face and will face in 10 years/name a time you displayed empathy etc. Only thing I really suggest is to first make sure your area is clean and to do your research! Since its online, they will ask you more questions about the profession so know at least 1 or 2 facts on current news about OT/PT and challenges they are currently facing (I said lack of research funding and lack of available physio's and they seemed impressed with that). Dont worry about the wifi cutting because they'll either call you back or call you on your phone. To leave a good impression, smile a lot, crack a little joke here and there if you can and dont ramble on! I rambled for one of my interviews and I knew the interviewer stopped listening because as soon as I stopped she rushed onto the next question (if you notice they stopped taking down notes, wrap it up because they got what they're looking for from your answer). Wear simple and visually non-distracting clothes because depending on the video clarity, the details of the clothes might not show anyways. And a little tip, leave sticky notes on the sides of your monitors with a small sentence or word of the current events so in case you forget, you can just glance to the right slightly and get back on track! Overall dont be nervous! Its harder to look calm when you're actually nervous during a video chat because you are sitting down, rather than moving around during mmi's to ease off the nerves. good luck! 

Also something that a lot of people forget, clean the webcam camera of your computer with a glasses cleaner cloth or something that doesn't streak or smudge. Otherwise the lights around you will look blurry in the chat

On 2/24/2020 at 8:50 AM, mjot said:

Hey looking for advice! This is my first grad school interview (it's @ UBC for OT) what do I wear?? I'm female. Full suit? Dress pants and blouse? Dress pants and blazer? Any thoughts helpful haha

I’m a current UBC OT student and remember stressing about this last year. I wore dress pants and a blouse, but lots of people wore blazers as well. As long as you look somewhat professional it’s doesn’t really matter what you wear, so just wear something that you feel comfortable and confident in. Good luck! :) 

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has had any interviews with any UK schools, one of my friends just recently had an interview!

I applied to Mac, U of T, Queens, Western, Dal, Oxford, Brunel, and Glasgow! 

My sub gpa is 3.78

Im doing the CASPER test on Thursday. If anyone has any tips send them my way please! :) 

15 hours ago, OTgurl said:

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has had any interviews with any UK schools, one of my friends just recently had an interview!

I applied to Mac, U of T, Queens, Western, Dal, Oxford, Brunel, and Glasgow! 

My sub gpa is 3.78

Im doing the CASPER test on Thursday. If anyone has any tips send them my way please! :)

I applied and interviewed with the UK! applied to brunel and oxford along with others. I applied in december and interviewed with Brunel early january, and have still yet to hear from oxford. Brunel interviewed me through the phone and it was really short only lasted 15 minutes, and got accepted! 

1 hour ago, LMC said:

Anyone know how long we have to answer questions for the PT Mcmaster Kira Talent interview?

I'm not sure about the actual test, but if you've been doing the practice questions, they give you 45 seconds to prepare and 2 minutes to answer the video questions. 15 minutes to answer the written one. 

On 3/3/2020 at 8:01 PM, OT96 said:

I’m a current UBC OT student and remember stressing about this last year. I wore dress pants and a blouse, but lots of people wore blazers as well. As long as you look somewhat professional it’s doesn’t really matter what you wear, so just wear something that you feel comfortable and confident in. Good luck! :) 

Thank you!!! Do you have any interview tips or advice???!

Applied (OT):  Queens, UWO, McMaster, U of T, U of A (OOP), Dalhousie (OOP)
Accepted:
Waitlisted: (MMI) McMaster (email received March 3rd at 1:57pm)
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.80

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I had my letters edited extensively by a few current OT students at UWO, so I am very confident that it is done well. I am finishing my research MSc on exercise for older adults with cognitive impairments and have 3 years experience working with this population (conducting neuropsychological, physical (gait, balance, frailty), and anthropometric assessment batteries) more or less full-time before and while completing my masters.  Over 140 hours working at a mental health support line receiving calls from people with mental health issues/disorders, intellectual disorders, etc., experiencing thoughts of suicide and/or distress. I also physically trained older adults with MCI for 1000+ hours over 3 years, but I don't have the exact number (about this: are your hours volunteered an estimate when there is no available record??).  I have only shadowed one OT, but I feel like my other experience is relatable to OT.

Hi everyone, looking for some advice!

Applied (all OT): UofT, Queen's, Western

Accepted: UofT, Western

Rejected: Queen's

cPGA: 3.89, sGPA: 3.86

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Relevant coursework through my psychology degree and OT-related undergraduate thesis. Short-term placement experience with children with disabilities and volunteered on a distress line. Strong academic reference, for the professional reference I chose someone I knew would speak highly of me though it was completely unrelated to OT (have been working in customer service/administrative positions), but I believe she would be able to speak to OT-related qualities. I had a current OT student look over my essays. CASPer was.. okay

--

I decided within the last week of applications that I was really interested in this field and it was worth a try! First time applicant and new to considering the profession, so I am definitely missing experience!

I'm looking into getting into volunteering to strengthen my application for the next round or be more prepared if I were to be accepted this round, but kind of overwhelmed by all of the information on these forums and the many opportunities. I was thinking of volunteer tutoring children with learning disabilities, and/or volunteering in a therapeutic horseback riding association. I'm also very interested in TBI rehabilitation.

Would anyone be able to share advice on the best kind of opportunities to pursue? Is it best to start volunteering in the areas you would most likely hope to find a placement in? Experiences that are looked on more favorably than others? Many of you have so many amazing experiences, I would be so grateful if you could point me in the right direction! Also hoping to shadow as much as I can (I've found a shadowing program in a hospital - any other ways to make contacts to get this experience?)

Suggestions for Plan B's also - has anyone considered the diploma program before re-applying? Pros/cons? If you are a re-applicant, what did you do in the meantime? Could consider the UK as well but heard it is a lot more expensive. I'm also missing anatomy/physiology so I could take those to have UBC/Alberta/Manitoba/Dalhousie as options too. I thought I might apply to nursing initially, but after job shadowing I realized it may not be the best fit.

Good luck everyone!!

22 minutes ago, newtoOT said:

Hi everyone, looking for some advice!

Applied (all OT): UofT, Queen's, Western

cPGA: 3.89, sGPA: 3.86

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Relevant coursework through my psychology degree and OT-related undergraduate thesis. Short-term placement experience with children with hearing impairments and volunteered on a distress line. Strong academic reference, for the professional reference I chose someone I knew would speak highly of me though it was completely unrelated to OT (have been working in customer service/administrative positions), but I believe she would be able to speak to OT-related qualities. I had a current OT student look over my essays.

--

I decided within the last week of applications that I was really interested in this field and it was worth a try! First time applicant and new to considering the profession, so I am definitely missing experience!

I'm looking into getting into volunteering to strengthen my application for the next round or be more prepared if I were to be accepted this round, but kind of overwhelmed by all of the information on these forums and the many opportunities. I was thinking of volunteer tutoring children with learning disabilities, and/or volunteering in a therapeutic horseback riding association. I'm also very interested in TBI rehabilitation.

Would anyone be able to share advice on the best kind of opportunities to pursue? Is it best to start volunteering in the areas you would most likely hope to find a placement in? Many of you have so many amazing experiences, I would be so grateful if you could point me in the right direction! Also hoping to shadow as much as I can (I've found a shadowing program in a hospital - any other ways to make contacts to get this experience?)

Good luck everyone!!

I’ve volunteered at a few private child OT clinics, I know they usually have summer camps that they need volunteers for so that would be a fun way to gain experience! Also if you are currently in University/ in a University town there are normally a bunch of different volunteer opportunities through the school like best buddies or autism Ontario programs! Also, some cities have inclusion services at their rec centres where people work 1:1 with people with disabilities so that could also be something to check out! 

Good luck with your application!

48 minutes ago, OTPLEASE5678 said:

I’ve volunteered at a few private child OT clinics, I know they usually have summer camps that they need volunteers for so that would be a fun way to gain experience! Also if you are currently in University/ in a University town there are normally a bunch of different volunteer opportunities through the school like best buddies or autism Ontario programs! Also, some cities have inclusion services at their rec centres where people work 1:1 with people with disabilities so that could also be something to check out! 

Good luck with your application!

Thank you!! How would one find opportunities to volunteer in private OT clinics - is it just a matter of contacting them and seeing if they can take you on?

Applied: UofA, Queens, McMaster, Western, UofT (All OT) 
Accepted:
Waitlisted: McMaster Interview 
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa = 3.74 and s-gpa = 3.75
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Wrote about volunteer experience at an adaptive outdoor program, Canucks Autism Network, a summer camp for children with disabilities, and various job shadows. Also highlighted my honours thesis research. My references included my research supervisor during my undergrad and a volunteer coordinator for a youth group that I have volunteered at for the last 3 years

Good luck everyone!! :)