Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Hey Guys! I just wanted to confirm that my understanding of provisional vs firm acceptances is correct. By replying on ORPAS to my offer provisionally that is replying to the offer (and it won't expire today) right? I accepted provisionally already but I'm scared I need to firmly accept before tonight's deadline. Is provisional okay? I accepted my Western OT offer so a UofT spot will open up to the waitlist! 

Hi All! 

This forum was very helpful for me while applying so I figured I would now post my stats for future years. I accepted my offer at McMaster so waiting lists at the others should move J

Applied (All OT): Western, Queens, McMaster, UofT 

Accepted: Western, Queens, McMaster, UofT 

cGPA: 3.84   sub-GPA: 3.99 

I decided in my last semester of my undergrad that I wanted to go into OT so I was worried about my experiences not being specific enough compared to what others were posting on this forum. I really tried in my essays (and in McMaster MMI) to focus on the skills I developed in other volunteer experiences and how they would make me a successful OT student and future OT. I think it’s easy to rhyme of all your volunteer experiences and sound super impressive, but I think school’s get so many applications of that manner that it is important to show HOW those skills will help you in the future. So this is my experience but I  put in brackets what I mostly talked about (in essays or interview). My undergrad was in Biomed at Guelph and I knew my GPA would be a strong suit (focused on that I identified my strengths and weaknesses as a learner). I volunteered as a peer helper at Guelph for two years (developed strong communication and problem solving skills), was a UofG ambassador for four years (communication, working with diverse groups), volunteered in a physiology lab for two years and eventually lead my own research project from this lab and published in a peer reviewed journal as first author (writing skills, critical thinking, confidence with scientific literature). I volunteered outside of school in the summers at hospital specializing in dementia (compassion and creativity), with community living as a companion to an older adult with intellectual disability (advocating for individuals with disabilities), and coached soccer for young girls (healthy living, being a role model). During my summers I worked for my home city in their parks department (aka cutting grass and planting flowers), except for one summer I worked as a research student out of a big research hospital in Toronto (confidentiality and research process). I shadowed one OT for maybe 4 hours. My references were the prof who’s research lab I did my work in and my peer helper supervisor. 

I think it’s important to remember that people are going into OT with all sorts of experiences and varying backgrounds. Try not to compare yourself to people on here too much, but hopefully my application offers some comfort to anyone who doesn’t have much direct OT experience :)

I chose McMaster because I really do feel like they are a leader in the field of OT, I think that their self-guided learning technique will challenge me and really force me to become an active learner, which in a masters leading to a profession, is really important. I was also overall impressed with their program layout (backed by research), the responsiveness of the program, and I like that they choose to interview their applicants. At the end of the day, all of the degrees teach the same thing and we come out as OTs, so I tried to not overthink it :)

Feel free to message me with any questions about applications, Mac MMI, or my decision making! 

13 minutes ago, WesturntOT said:

Hey Guys! I just wanted to confirm that my understanding of provisional vs firm acceptances is correct. By replying on ORPAS to my offer provisionally that is replying to the offer (and it won't expire today) right? I accepted provisionally already but I'm scared I need to firmly accept before tonight's deadline. Is provisional okay? I accepted my Western OT offer so a UofT spot will open up to the waitlist! 

Hey! I was on McMasters info webinar the other day and from their explanation if you provisionally accept an offer today than you will have a week to wait out for whatever offer it is that you are waiting for. The provisional acceptance will turn into a firm acceptance next week at the deadline unless you go into your account and switch the provisional acceptance to a decline. 

16 hours ago, PTPLEASE! said:

Hi! Applying in the fall - does anyone have tips on how to ask a prof for academic reference? Like when & how to ask? (I'm also scared about my academic references because I haven't had the chance to really build a great relationship with any of my profs :( )

I find it is best to ask sooner than later so they have enough time to write the recommendation without being rushed, but you likely want to ask after a midterm mark is back. You'll want to ask a prof whos class you are doing well in, especially if you don't have as strong of a relationship with them so they can vouch for your academic performance. Most profs in upper year classes are used to this request, so asking in person in an office hour or via email is good!

7 minutes ago, OTVic said:

Hey! I was on McMasters info webinar the other day and from their explanation if you provisionally accept an offer today than you will have a week to wait out for whatever offer it is that you are waiting for. The provisional acceptance will turn into a firm acceptance next week at the deadline unless you go into your account and switch the provisional acceptance to a decline. 

Okay thanks! I think I will firmly accept anyways since I have full intention of going through with the offer I received. 

Is this what everyone's confirmation email looked like after they accepted their offers? I just got an email from ORPAS saying I failed to complete the submit process but when I log back in, I can't resubmit like the email told me to. It also said I would get a confirmation number which it looks like I did in this email. I am confused and kinda panicking a little because we have to accept before midnight.

orpas confirmation.jpg

46 minutes ago, PTorOT? said:

I have to email them by end of day on June 15th with a YES or NO, and to respond to the offer on ORPAS by June 21st 

Oh wow so early.  By any chance do you (or anyone) know how provisional offer would work in this case? Would you just say YES and then on OPRAS you select provisional offer? Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm on the waitlist for Queens and Western and with Western being my first choice, I don't know what actions I would have to take if Queens responds first. 

52 minutes ago, ptapps said:

Oh wow so early.  By any chance do you know how provisional offer would work in this case? Would you just say YES and then on OPRAS you select provisional offer? Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm on the waitlist for Queens and Western and with Western being my first choice, I don't know what actions I would have to take if Queens responds first. 

I know, it's barely anytime at all, haha. That's a really good question, I'm not sure... they mentioned that it may take several business days before I can see the offer on ORPAS. I am wondering if accepting a waitlist offer would make it firm? Because June 21st is also the day provisional offers become firm. If another student who got a first round offer and provisionally accepted at one school, but was also holding out for another school, they would be removed from waitlists at other institutions on the 21st. So if I received a waitlist offer, then was granted an "additional/extended" provisional period (e.g. June 21st-July 1st), that would be unfair to the other student? If anyone has any insight on this, please share!

20 minutes ago, PTorOT? said:

I know, it's barely anytime at all, haha. That's a really good question, I'm not sure... they mentioned that it may take several business days before I can see the offer on ORPAS. I am wondering if accepting a waitlist offer would make it firm? Because June 21st is also the day provisional offers become firm. If another student who got a first round offer and provisionally accepted at one school, but was also holding out for another school, they would be removed from waitlists at other institutions on the 21st. So if I received a waitlist offer, then was granted an "additional/extended" provisional period (e.g. June 21st-July 1st), that would be unfair to the other student? If anyone has any insight on this, please share!

This was the only thing I could find on the ORPAS website about this. I am curious too! If people decline their offers on the 21st, then the schools don't have time to offer it to someone else! (if they applied to the same discipline) 

504077665_ScreenShot2020-06-12at10_47_12PM.png.430f7cfe17c8578e12ba92934ede6836.png

1 hour ago, Strawbaby said:

Hi everyone, I just got my waitlist acceptance for OT from Queen’s!! My offer says to confirm by email to the school by June 16 & through ORPAS by June 21. I’m beyond excited. Congrats to everyone who will get their offers soon, they must be on the way!

Hey is the school emailing you waitlist offers over the weekend? Was it by email or phone

21 minutes ago, OT1996 said:

Hey is the school emailing you waitlist offers over the weekend? Was it by email or phone

Email! The original waitlist emails from May 29 said that correspondence would be made via email I believe. I didn’t expect them to have offers coming out over the weekend either! I received it at 10:20am this morning

1 hour ago, Strawbaby said:

Email! The original waitlist emails from May 29 said that correspondence would be made via email I believe. I didn’t expect them to have offers coming out over the weekend either! I received it at 10:20am this morning

Do you know your ranking on the waitlist?