Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

I just got off the U of A OT wait list! My acceptance letter has a “Calgary Satellite Campus Intent to Attend” form attached and on the form it says Edmonton is full but they’ll try and take into account students campus preferences and send out official campus decisions at the end of June. Just wondering if anyone else got this? Does this mean I’m more likely to get a spot in Calgary? Or does everyone get this form? If this means I’m more likely to be in Calgary I’d love to talk to/meet some of my cohort before classes start! 

13 minutes ago, UofAOT2020 said:

I just got off the U of A OT wait list! My acceptance letter has a “Calgary Satellite Campus Intent to Attend” form attached and on the form it says Edmonton is full but they’ll try and take into account students campus preferences and send out official campus decisions at the end of June. Just wondering if anyone else got this? Does this mean I’m more likely to get a spot in Calgary? Or does everyone get this form? If this means I’m more likely to be in Calgary I’d love to talk to/meet some of my cohort before classes start! 

Me too homie. I'm also likely gonna be in Calgary as a native Calgarian.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, OTtime6 said:

this would make me so sad :((( that basically means we'd have to decline a current provisional offer elsewhere if we still wanted a chance at going to uoft? seems pretty unfair :(

I think this is really unfair tbh, especially considering they won't tell us our spot/rank on the waitlist. :( Whats to say we were about to get a call the next business day or like on Tuesday, but since we were forced to firmly accept another school we won't get the offer??? People are obviously going to decline their spots over the weekend since thats the deadline for provisional acceptances, and spots will open up, but that doesn't give people on the waitlist a fair opportunity to get an offer (given they had to firmly accept another school). Is anyone else really pissed about this or is it just me :mad: Especially for UofT, since they dont contact waitlist applicants on the weekend only during business hours, despite spots potentially opening up on the weekend before Sunday evening.

20 minutes ago, David23 said:

does anyone know if the deadline posted to accept an offer on ORPAS means that we have to make a decision right before the deadline or at the end of that day? ( for ex, June 22. June 21 1159 pm or June 22 1159 pm?)

June 21, 2020 (11:59 pm ET)
Provisional Acceptances become Firm Acceptances for OT/PT.

12 hours ago, oohtea said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): UBC and McGill (both OT)
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted: McGill (supposedly??? heard people already got rejection letters in May but mine says under review)
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa 3.66/4.33, ~3.6/4 (McGill), sGPA ~3.9/4.33 (UBC)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

1 year working as a teaching assistant for children with special education needs in a primary school (co-teaching, leading focus groups for dyslexic kids, individualised education program for an autistic child), 70 hours shadowing at a pediatric centre for pre-school SEN children. Member of the executive committee for a student society promoting mental health awareness.  Peer support in university. Volunteering for mental health and environmental organisations. Internship for the United Nations and other NGOs (communications). 

My UBC essay touched on the post stroke recovery of a family member and things I learnt from my job teaching SEN children. I think I did well in the interview, gave thorough and heartfelt answers and built rapport with the interviewers. Strong references from my research supervisor (a professor I got an A from) and the peds OT I shadowed for months. 

PS. International student, not a health-related undergrad, just for those who will worry about the same thing as me in the future :)  Just go for it and get as much relevant experience as possible, really try to talk to and learn from the therapists you meet. Shoutout to people who've helped me on this thread and best of luck for everyone!

My McGill application still says Under Review as well! Not that it matters considering I already got in elsewhere, but come on! I know of a couple people who have received rejections, one back in April and one two weeks ago, so I don't know what the hold up is and what's stopping them from just saying "Waitlisted" or something like that.

2 hours ago, PTplssss said:

I think this is really unfair tbh, especially considering they won't tell us our spot/rank on the waitlist. :( Whats to say we were about to get a call the next business day or like on Tuesday, but since we were forced to firmly accept another school we won't get the offer??? People are obviously going to decline their spots over the weekend since thats the deadline for provisional acceptances, and spots will open up, but that doesn't give people on the waitlist a fair opportunity to get an offer (given they had to firmly accept another school). Is anyone else really pissed about this or is it just me :mad: Especially for UofT, since they dont contact waitlist applicants on the weekend only during business hours, despite spots potentially opening up on the weekend before Sunday evening.

trust me its not just you hahah! especially considering i didn't find out how this actually works until like two weeks ago lol

UofT is my first choice but i just won't take the chance of rejecting my other offer in hopes of coming off UoftT's waitlist, because i have no idea how high i am or if they're even going to send many waitlist offers in the first place (people have been mentioning they may send more offers than they actually want to end up with, and maybe their class size is smaller this year too?)

but in any case, happy for those who might eventually get an offer from UofT down the line! on the bright side, in a couple days the stress of checking e-mails stops for us and we can just move on and focus on what's next! in the grand scheme, it really doesn't matter where you study OT/PT, getting in anywhere is a huge accomplishment and realistically we're all preparing for the same exit test and the same career. 

excited to see all you Mac OT folks in Hamilton soon!! :) 

2 hours ago, PTPebbles said:

My McGill application still says Under Review as well! Not that it matters considering I already got in elsewhere, but come on! I know of a couple people who have received rejections, one back in April and one two weeks ago, so I don't know what the hold up is and what's stopping them from just saying "Waitlisted" or something like that.

I messaged them before and they insisted that I’ll find out in May/June. It’s frustrating to have to check throughout two whole months smh. Hopefully their last offers/waitlist will be out soon. 

Update: As if they’ve heard my prayers, just got my rejection letter. For anyone curious, they said Quebec residents are prioritised this year due to the pandemic (I’m international). 

16 hours ago, PTPTPT said:

I've heard from friends currently in PT school and accepted for 2020 (in Ontario, dunno about other provinces) that schools may be taking fewer people this year due to COVID because getting people placements has been roughhhhhhh. Don't quote me though, just a possibility

I feel like that is likely the reason. The zoom open house that it was mentioned on didn’t state a reason either. Maybe schools will be putting out statements concerning it once their classes are assembled?

On 6/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, Lina said:

For anyone on Mac’s PT waitlist, I emailed them yesterday asking when we can expect them to contact us and they replied  “We have not released any offers to applicants on the waitlist at this time. If a spot becomes available for you, you will be contacted within the next couple of weeks” 

well update: I emailed them back asking if they're at full capacity and they replied "Correct, we are currently at full capacity, so we are not in a position to release additional offers at this time."

On 2/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, PTvibes said:

Applied: UBC (northern cohort), Western, McMaster, UofT, Queens

accepted:UBC (Northern Cohort), Western

waitlisted: McMaster (upper third)

rejected:Queens, UofT (forgot to write the CAP )

cGPA: 3.18 sGPA: 3.93 (ORPAS official)
 Perceived strengths

-2600 hours as ministry wildland firefighter first aid attendant

-worked 360 hours as a physiotherapy intern in Spain full time last summer applying treatments supervising patient exercises ect in patient and outpatient settings

-2 years coaching my local special Olympics BC cross country skiing team

-2 years playing and volunteering for my local Wheelchair Rugby team

-4 years coaching a junior skiing program for 6/7 year olds

-5 years volunteering at my local soup kitchen for 600hours

Question for you guys, has UBC contacted any of your listed contacts to confirm your hours yet?

Thanks, and best of luck to all!

11 hours ago, UofAOT2020 said:

That’s awesome congratulations! I am on the UofA OT wait list as well. Did you ever ask if you were on the upper half or bottom half of the wait list? 

22 minutes ago, Kyguy said:

That’s awesome congratulations! I am on the UofA OT wait list as well. Did you ever ask if you were on the upper half or bottom half of the wait list? 

I did and I was on the upper (1-49) half! No idea where though or how much movement there’s been 

1 hour ago, Lina said:

well update: I emailed them back asking if they're at full capacity and they replied "Correct, we are currently at full capacity, so we are not in a position to release additional offers at this time."

This is incredibly fishy since I’ve seen at least 5-6 people on these forums saying that they declined their McMaster PT offer...

Hey everyone,

I provisionally accepted queens pt but also got into UofT, but I couldn’t decide fully so I asked to still be considered for UofT. Now I’ve changed my mind as want to change my acceptance to UofT but on orpas it just says still wish to be considered and isn’t letting me accept the offer. Have I missed my chance??

1 hour ago, PTforLife319 said:

Hey everyone,

I provisionally accepted queens pt but also got into UofT, but I couldn’t decide fully so I asked to still be considered for UofT. Now I’ve changed my mind as want to change my acceptance to UofT but on orpas it just says still wish to be considered and isn’t letting me accept the offer. Have I missed my chance??

Hey did you wish to be considered for a first round offer? Cuz that would've expired on the 12th