Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

Hey everyone!

Congratulations to all who applied. Whether you have received acceptances or are wait listed or rejected, you should all be proud you took the step that you did. You’ve probably heard it 1000 times, but do not get discouraged if you weren’t accepted. Your time will come! 
I’m a current Western MPT student that is willing to answer any questions you may have about the program coming into the new year. I know it will look much different than what I went through this past fall, but the faculty are doing everything they can to make sure you don’t miss out on important information. I know it will be a stressful time, given COVID-19, but you will be taken care of. I just sat on a focus group this past week for what the program is going to look like for the first years coming in on a broad scale, so I have a fairly decent idea of what you can expect, since it will be entirely unique to you. 

Feel free to ask anything you want about the program or the school in general! I remember sitting on this forum for the last 2 years awaiting my acceptance and thinking of the 100s of questions I had before I got to Western. Hopefully I can answer some of those for you!

Best of luck to those on the wait list! Our current class had their last student accept 1 week after classes start, so NEVER count yourself out!

On 6/19/2020 at 8:09 AM, oohtea said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): OT UBC and McGill OT QY 
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: McGill
GPA:c-gpa 3.66/4.33, ~3.6/4 (McGill), sGPA ~3.9/4.33 (UBC)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

1 year working as a teaching assistant for children with special education needs in a primary school (co-teaching, leading focus groups for dyslexic kids, individualised education program for an autistic child), 70 hours shadowing at a pediatric centre for pre-school SEN children. Member of the executive committee for a student society promoting mental health awareness.  Peer support in university. Volunteering for mental health and environmental organisations. Internship for the United Nations and other NGOs (communications). 

My UBC essay touched on the post stroke recovery of a family member and things I learnt from my job teaching SEN children. I think I did well in the interview, gave thorough and heartfelt answers and built rapport with the interviewers. Strong references from my research supervisor (a professor I got an A from) and the peds OT I shadowed for months. 

PS. International student, not a health-related undergrad, just for those who will worry about the same thing as me in the future :)  Just go for it and get as much relevant experience as possible, really try to talk to and learn from the therapists you meet. Shoutout to people who've helped me on this thread and best of luck for everyone!

Hi oohtea,

I am also an international applicant for UBC OT, just wondering when did you receive the interview result.

Still no letters yet, so anxiously waiting...

19 minutes ago, OTGIRL1996 said:

Does anyone know if I have to resend my transcripts via ORPAS if when I applied back in December, I already sent my "final transcripts" since I graduated and conferred already?(in 2018)

Hope that makes senses! Thanks :)

As long as you’ve graduated, all mandatory classes were completed, & your offer was non-conditional/final, you shouldn’t have to resend any transcripts! 

2 minutes ago, Strawbaby said:

As long as you’ve graduated, all mandatory classes were completed, & your offer was non-conditional/final, you shouldn’t have to resend any transcripts! 

Thank you so much! In my offer letter it states "The deadline for receipt of your final transcript to ORPAS showing your degree was conferred is June 30, 2020. Applicants who attend Ontario universities must use the online transcript request service on ORPAS to order their final transcripts" so I was confused. I assume it was a general message applying to anyone with outstanding final transcripts. Sent an email a couple days ago with no response.  

Since my degree was conferred in 2018 and no information has changed since then, that's what I thought too :) Thank you!

16 hours ago, aliOT said:

Has anyone who applied to McGill OT QY declined their offer?

Hey! Ya I declined my offer in the first week of June. For reference though I also applied to their QY PT program and it still says "In Review". I also remember reading somewhere that they send out offers in August if needed, so don't lose hope!

4 minutes ago, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

RESPONSE FROM UOFT OT: FC24F5DA-9A6E-4637-AC79-4E49F2CE0ABD.thumb.jpeg.eb0afd9f794d35a67af59fc7306619f1.jpeg

Hmm so they haven't sent out their waitlist offers yet? I guess they're really sticking to 'end of June' message for waitlist offers

Well it's a good thinng they haven't changed the number of seats because of covid! 

What time did he reply to you?

2 hours ago, Pt-Ot-hopeful-88 said:

Hey! Ya I declined my offer in the first week of June. For reference though I also applied to their QY PT program and it still says "In Review". I also remember reading somewhere that they send out offers in August if needed, so don't lose hope!

Okay cool! I’m on the waitlist so was just wondering if there was going to be movement. Thanks for sharing good luck to you!