Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

2 hours ago, OT-2020 said:

For those of you who are entering the OT program at Queens, have you heard anything about registration yet? I have not. 

Haven’t heard anything new yet! Although in the open house they said they want to get the class settled & shortly after we will hear more info about classes & specific program requirements/expectations. Hopefully we’ll be hearing within the next week or two! We’ll be coming up on a month until move in shortly, since they say they want us in Kingston two weeks in advance

On 7/2/2020 at 10:47 AM, jeffpt said:

Anyone else still waiting on mcgill? My app for the qualifying year in PT is still "In Review" but I've seen others get acceptances/rejections

Its only been 2 weeks since i got my waitlist email for OT qualifying year, maybe PT is just a little delayed! My application still says "In Review" so hopefully yours is an acceptance or a waitlist!

Applied (all PT): McMaster, McGill (QY), UBC, Western, Queens, Dalhousie

Accepted: McGill QY, McMaster (was waitlisted at #3)

Waitlisted:

Rejected: UBC, Western, Queens, Dalhousie

GPA: cgpa- 3.66/4.0, sgpa- 3.65/4.0

Perceived strengths:

I think it's obvious that the biggest weakness in my application was my sGPA (third year in my undergrad was really tough for a lot of reasons), so I think I made up for that in my CASPer, resume, and video statement (for McGill) and Kira (for Mcmaster) which ultimately were the reasons I got in both universities. I also had experience shadowing/assisting PTs and PTAs in different PT settings including 2 orthopedic PT clinics, Children's Hospital (pediatric PT), and a neurological PT clinic (~250 hours in total). I've heard from current PTs (ones that graduated from Ontario universities) that admissions put a lot of weight on having experience in different PT specializations (MSK, Cardioresp, neuro, pediatric, etc.), so I tried my best to cover as much as I can before applying.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Applied (all PT): McMaster, Queens, Manitoba, UBC

Accepted: UBC (top choice) , Manitoba

Waitlisted: McMaster (#51)

Rejected: Queens

GPA: cgpa - 80%, subgpa - 85%

Perceived strengths:

I think my strength was my previous experience. I worked as a personal trainer for 3 years prior to my applications. I also worked as a behavioural interventionist and as a activity coach for th a program part of the Special Olympics. Also worked as a personal trainer for a Mental Wellness program for a university. 

Feel free to ask questions!

Applied (OT): UBC, Queens, Western, UofT, UofA

Accepted: UBC, UofT

Waitlisted: Queens, Western

Rejected: UofA

GPA: cgpa- 3.5, subgpa- 3.9 (ubc), 3.73 (orpas)

Perceived strengths:

Worked closely with an allied health care team, including a team of occupational therapists in a school based setting. I think the most unique part of my application would be my experience with creating an augmented reality game to teach children life skills, and my involvement in AR/VR research.  

Happy to answer any questions also! I chose UofT simply because I wanted to get out of Vancouver :’)

On 7/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, P-T2020 said:

Perceived strengths:

I think my strength was my previous experience. I worked as a personal trainer for 3 years prior to my applications. I also worked as a behavioural interventionist and as a activity coach for th a program part of the Special Olympics. Also worked as a personal trainer for a Mental Wellness program for a university. 

What was your sGPA was on the 4.00 scale according to ORPAS? :)

On 5/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, MMZ said:

Hey, I took a course-based Masters Kin program this past year after getting waitlisted last year, and got an offer from Alberta OT this time around. While the program seemed to cater more to the thesis-based masters students (since they take some courses too), ultimately you gain some practical experience and professors are definitely more helpful in terms of helping you achieve good grades in the courses. Not sure if the masters programs you applied for are thesis-based, but course-based masters are one year typically, so it fits well with applying for next year if need be.

I would recommend accepting offers in other masters programs in the meantime, it ultimately helped my path to OT. If you get an offer for OT in the next month or so, simply just let the other program you accepted know, bite the bullet on any deposit fee (if there is one) and go to the school you want.

Hope thats helpful.

Hi,

I received an email from western which recommended me for a post-graduate diploma in applied health sciences. Is this diploma helpful for admission to OT? Does its GPA count toward OT admission? Thanks.

Hi everyone.

Is anyone here able to speak to the course load at UofTs OT program? Looking at the curriculum it is worrying me a bit (6 courses, back to back courses and fieldwork). As I only took 3 or 4 courses in my undergrad and when I did take 5 it was overwhelming for me.

On 7/7/2020 at 1:21 PM, P-T2020 said:

Perceived strengths:

Correction: 

According to ORPAS...

subGPA: 3.8 / overall GPA: 3.45

Each school has a different number of students that they accept for the program. For Western, I'm the class of 2021 and we have 80 spots available, up from 70 spots the year prior. U of T has I believe 100-110 spots. Mac I'm not sure on how many slots there are, but I would gather it'd be around 70-80. Western may have upped the spots again for students and had very few who accepted through the first round. It's doubtful, but possible since there is room in the classrooms and needed to fill multiple spots where students didn't accept because they may have chose U of T for example, who accepts more to begin with. I was waitlisted at Western for the class of 2020 and I was somewhere between #50-100 and didn't receive a call. I don't think they even got out of the first tier of waitlist numbers, which is usually #1-25 or something to that effect. The class of 2021 has a few students who were somewhere in the #40-60 range and counted Western out because they thought there was no way they would get in, and were shocked when they received the call. Every year is different based on the applicants decisions and where they ultimately decide to go based on first choice or only choice parameters. Perhaps most to all of the applicants who were given acceptances to Mac accepted them and they only needed to get 3-4 people from the waitlist. You could always try and call them to see if they will give you any information on the waitlist movement, or if they are full up. It can be very frustrating because there is no real formula as to why some schools have multiple waitlist spots get the call and some have virtually none. Don't give up hope and reach out to Mac would be my recommendation!

4 hours ago, PTforlife said:

Has anyone else heard from the Mac Waitlist (for PT)? I’m #8 and still have not heard anything yet. Apparently western went into the 100’s on the Waitlist... wondering why theirs is so different? Can anyone relate to this? 

I've only seen the Mac waitlist go up to number 3 through this forum. I was high up on this list too and was hoping for an offer but I think that ship has sailed

3 hours ago, rrxxccooll said:

Can anyone suggest how to prepare for a CASPer test? Thank you.

Use the practice test they have on the website often! There’s also a few websites for med applicants with tips on the CASPer, and outlines for how to answer most effectively. If you struggle with typing speed, try some online games for typing, or typing races. I did a few every day for a couple weeks leading up to the test

On 7/10/2020 at 12:45 PM, PTforlife said:

Has anyone else heard from the Mac Waitlist (for PT)? I’m #8 and still have not heard anything yet. Apparently western went into the 100’s on the Waitlist... wondering why theirs is so different? Can anyone relate to this? 

Where did you see that western’s waitlist went that far? 

38 minutes ago, Strawbaby said:

Use the practice test they have on the website often! There’s also a few websites for med applicants with tips on the CASPer, and outlines for how to answer most effectively. If you struggle with typing speed, try some online games for typing, or typing races. I did a few every day for a couple weeks leading up to the test

Can u give me some example websites?

On 7/9/2020 at 1:42 PM, rrxxccooll said:

Hi,

I received an email from western which recommended me for a post-graduate diploma in applied health sciences. Is this diploma helpful for admission to OT? Does its GPA count toward OT admission? Thanks.

Hey, from what it says on the website, it doesn't seem like they consider diplomas in the gpa count.

https://www.uwo.ca/fhs/ot/programs/mscot/admission.html

18 hours ago, rrxxccooll said:

Can u give me some example websites?

Been a while since I used them so I don’t have specific urls, but the official casper site has a good practice test, & it’s worth it to google for practice tests & try those. Same with the typing games. Check around & see what works best for your studying!