Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

2 hours ago, prospective_OT said:

Hi everyone,

I am a prospective OT looking to apply for the 2021 admissions cycle. I was looking through this forum just to get a feel for how strong some of your applications were. After reading about everyone experiences I do feel as though I might be lacking in this area, which makes me feel a lot less confident in my application. I was wondering if you guys could let me know if you think I would be able to get accepted with my current stats:

Applying to: Queens, McMaster, UofT, McGill (QY), Western (ALL OT)

Degree: BSc in Kinesiology

Sub-GPA: 3.9

Experiences/References: I have a little bit of research experience from volunteering in my professor's lab. The lab was neuroscience-focused and I got some experience working with EEG. This same professor is one of my academic references. I have 100+ hours volunteering at Respite Camps for children with severe disabilities. My supervisor for this will be my professional reference if the application requires it. I was a teaching assistant for a human anatomy lab and the professor supervising this course will be my other academic reference. I have some other experience working as a Kinesiology Assistant but other than that I dont have a lot of other experiences.

Do you guys think I have a good chance of getting in even though I dont have too much experience?

Any insights are appreciated, 

Thanks.

Hi! Honestly I think your stats seem pretty great. Your experience seems similar to mine (research lab, 100+ hours working with a relevant population), & I also majored in kin. Plus your subgpa is higher than mine! I got into Queen’s OT this year from (presumably) high on the waitlist, so I would think you’d at least be a candidate there. If you feel your application could use more experience, you could seek out a shadow opportunity with an OT this fall - although I know that could be difficult with covid & all. Feel free to dm me if you have any other questions! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, PT PT PT said:

Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask if there was a big difference between chances of getting accepted with a 3.86 and 3.88 subGPA in Ontario PT schools. Thanks! 

Honestly, I don't think there is a huge difference. A friend of mine got accepted into 2 with a 3.81 last year. If you can do well on the written applications and CASPer than you will be considered for CAP and MAC interview for sure. 

4 hours ago, 2020OT said:

Hi guys! I need a quick reply

i got accepted into mitchener (2 year program) & might not do the second 2nd year if I get accepted into OT school 

but before I accept 

I want to know if I apply for OT schools next semester 

will this affect my GPA?

i already have an undergrad 

I believe it depends on the school, some schools with take course from a masters or extra schooling into consideration (I believe mcmaster might) but other school do not take this into consideration and only use your undergrad grades so the only way to improve your gpa is if you take extra course in undergrad. Not 100% sure though. 

Hi Guys,

For those who applied to Dalhousie OT or familiar with it!

Finally decided to post on here since I have a big decision to make. I was waitlisted at Dal although I had quite a low sGPA (3.05). I am taking a class now that I'm hoping to get an A in, it would increase my sGPA to 3.16. Has anyone gotten into Dalhousie with this type of GPA? Since I made it to the waitlist I thought to try again this year. But I only have time to take this one course before applying so the boost isnt too high.

I've also applied to schools in the UK and got accepted to start in January. I kind of just want to accept so as not to waste time. But do you think I still have a chance with Dal OT with a 3.16?

Thanks all :)

1 hour ago, zerochance said:

could you give a brief overview of your physio volunteering experience?  I have zero.  I have volunteering experience with vulnerable groups but none are in a physio setting. 

Yeah! I Volunteered at mental health crisis centre, volunteered at my local hospital in a number of different departments ~6 years (some in physio, some in not), did a research assistant job, and some community youth groups. That wast most of it. few other things here and there. 

3 hours ago, PTstudent2020 said:

Yeah! I Volunteered at mental health crisis centre, volunteered at my local hospital in a number of different departments ~6 years (some in physio, some in not), did a research assistant job, and some community youth groups. That wast most of it. few other things here and there. 

thanks so it seems you don't have much physio specific experience?  am I missing something?  

On 9/29/2020 at 10:31 PM, zerochance said:

thanks so it seems you don't have much physio specific experience?  am I missing something?  

Nope you aren't missing anything! I got into mac and I had maybe... 150 hours of specific physio experience, around 200-300 of orthopaedic volunteer experience, + all the other stuff i said! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 5:13 PM, OT/PT_Hopeful said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): UofT (OT+PT), Western (OT+PT), McMaster (OT), Queens (OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA=3.99 and cGPA=3.72
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Feel pretty good about my personal submissions - talked about a range of experience gained through co-op work terms. References should be good too. CASPer is tough to comment on but I don't think it went badly. Nervous about McMaster's MMI and UofT's CAP.

So, how did it go? Where'd ya get accepted to and which did you end up going to? :)

On 1/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

applied + (PT or OT?): OT: Western, Queen's, UofT and McMaster (UofT is my first choice)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa 3.52 and s-gpa 3.75

^.^ I hope we all get in! 

We have the same sGPA, and UofT is also my top choice! Did you get in? Did any of your choices reject your app? TY :)

On 2/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, aecjc said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): All OT- Queens, Western, McMaster, UofT (PT and OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa

3.35 cgpa and 3.58 s-gpa

this was calculated ALOT lower than I expected due to the calculation considering the average of 2nd year grades as a total (bad year for me)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

i feel as though my essays and resume are pretty solid,  I’m a good writer and I have 2 years of experience in the OT field shadowing, working with OTs and OTAs with children, older adults, both helping and running programs myself. I’m dissapointed in what my gpa was calculated as but I’m still holding out hope!!!

Hey, how did your app go? 

On 3/8/2020 at 10:20 PM, AllyRL said:

Applied: UofA, Queens, McMaster, Western, UofT (All OT) 
Accepted:
Waitlisted: McMaster Interview 
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa = 3.74 and s-gpa = 3.75
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Wrote about volunteer experience at an adaptive outdoor program, Canucks Autism Network, a summer camp for children with disabilities, and various job shadows. Also highlighted my honours thesis research. My references included my research supervisor during my undergrad and a volunteer coordinator for a youth group that I have volunteered at for the last 3 years

Good luck everyone!! :)

Hey! I have a sGPA of 3.75 also and have similar background experience. Did you get accepted to Mac, Western or UofT? Your reply is greatly appreciated as I'm applying for Fall 2021 now! :)