Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2020 Interviews -- DISCUSSIONS

btdubs

10 hours ago, moonwalker2099 said:

Called them today. They said invites went out on the 2nd from the PD. Carms hasn't been updated because the coordinator hasn't received the list from the PD. 

Ok thanks! Surprised its taking this long. Hopefully sometime this week

Hey guys, how far in advance should we cancel interviews to avoid repercussions, and what are these potential repercussions? Is one week in advance enough time? I'm trying to find someone to exchange interview times with right now but if it doesn't work out, I'd like to leave enough time to cancel without raising any professionalism issues.

5 hours ago, Pin2020 said:

Does anybody have any sense of what a "one-on-one/one-on-two" interview is? Is it exactly as it sounds; literally just the interviewee and one staff... like the PD for the whole interview? One school I'm interviewing at has this format and I'm really not sure what to expect.

Yes it's exactly as it sounds. You and 1-2 staff and/or residents

17 minutes ago, usmdthrowaway said:

Just came off a bunch of US internal med interviews and they give us dinner every time the night before. Should I come to these Carms IM ‘socials’ having eaten first or no? None have explicitly called them dinners.

Can't tell you, everyone does their own socials their own way. Some will be at a club, some at a tea house. Ours are at pubs and we provide appetizers to share.

18 minutes ago, usmdthrowaway said:

Just came off a bunch of US internal med interviews and they give us dinner every time the night before. Should I come to these Carms IM ‘socials’ having eaten first or no? None have explicitly called them dinners.

US interviews/socials are a way different beast than CaRMs. CaRms socials vary by speciality, but mostly appetizers if social does exist, not full dinners or sit-down style. 

US = many programs pay for accommodations/travel/wine+dine 
Canada = maybe we'll give you some appetizers at a pub style place.

4 hours ago, Pin2020 said:

Thanks! Just seemed to be a small number of people making the final decision. Though I guess others would have been involved in the screening / interview invite process.

Varies by specialty, but this usually means multiple one-on-one/two stations at the interview if they choose this format over panel