Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2020 Interviews -- DISCUSSIONS

btdubs

17 minutes ago, STT said:

I remember last year I got rejection for Ontario FM on November 28th. The same day they sent invitations to people.

That what exactly happened with me last year too! That's why I'm wondering this year if not receiving a rejection or an invitation at this point, would that considered to be a positive or a negative thing!

5 minutes ago, Mayada said:

Interview prep is vital. Anyone using professional services for that? 

The main people who want to make it seem that its "vital" is the prep companies. Its mostly them that prey on IMGs who are desperate to tip the odds. But generally speaking, interview prep companies are no going to make the huge difference between getting in and out at this point, especially given the huge variation in types of candidates schools look for. Its your whole life that has taken you to this point, rely on those experiences. This is of course assuming no language barriers, awkward social skills etc etc. 

On 12/3/2019 at 1:33 PM, med1010 said:

Do programs usually send out invites on a variety of dates? Curious since some McMaster psych invites seem to have gone out today.

quite common overall - there is often one poor overload person doing all of this somewhere. It is like some things in med applications - to us it is one of the most important times professionally in our lives. For them it is one more task they will do professionally within a long, long list of other tasks - you have to cut them some slack in that regard :)

Edited by rmorelan

On 12/2/2019 at 10:18 AM, JohnGrisham said:

The main people who want to make it seem that its "vital" is the prep companies. Its mostly them that prey on IMGs who are desperate to tip the odds. But generally speaking, interview prep companies are no going to make the huge difference between getting in and out at this point, especially given the huge variation in types of candidates schools look for. Its your whole life that has taken you to this point, rely on those experiences. This is of course assuming no language barriers, awkward social skills etc etc. 

I'm not personally familiar with anyone who did paid prep for residency interviews, its much more common for med school interviews. Doesn't hurt to practice though, maybe with your classmates?

20 minutes ago, TACMG said:

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how they're doing interview offers/rejections this year with the new 'interview status' section on the official CaRMs website. Have people been getting emails still?

On that status page if you select "Immediate" you will be e-mailed as soon as a program offers an interview, and the e-mail just says there's an interview notification and you have to go on the site to see what it is.

3 minutes ago, Jeffery089 said:

On that status page if you select "Immediate" you will be e-mailed as soon as a program offers an interview, and the e-mail just says there's an interview notification and you have to go on the site to see what it is.

Thanks for the prompt response! Do you happen to know if the school's are still emailing people? 

1 minute ago, msTRASH said:

Still getting emails directly from schools 1st so far

Thanks! Should I be concerned that my school email is not forwarding correctly if I haven't received any emails (Offers or rejections), but the interview invitations have been sent, according to the other thread?

8 minutes ago, TACMG said:

Thanks! Should I be concerned that my school email is not forwarding correctly if I haven't received any emails (Offers or rejections), but the interview invitations have been sent, according to the other thread?

I would say nobody knows at this point given first year of this notification system.

I haven’t received any rejection emails just yet but would guess that schools probably release in waves waiting for people to answer and then going further down their pool? Maybe someone else can chime in with regards to this..

I’ve also received an invite with no update to the carms notification thing over 72 hours after the invite so who knows how well this thing is synced up with communications.

I would anticipate that a rejection notification would only come through once they are confident they won’t invite you anymore.

1 hour ago, msTRASH said:

I would say nobody knows at this point given first year of this notification system.

I haven’t received any rejection emails just yet but would guess that schools probably release in waves waiting for people to answer and then going further down their pool? Maybe someone else can chime in with regards to this..

I’ve also received an invite with no update to the carms notification thing over 72 hours after the invite so who knows how well this thing is synced up with communications.

I would anticipate that a rejection notification would only come through once they are confident they won’t invite you anymore.

Thanks! Yea, I suppose it's still too early to tell. I appreciate the input!