Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2020 Interviews -- DISCUSSIONS

btdubs

On 12/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, Bubbles123 said:

Hi!

I just had the same thing happen to me. I saw you said it “self-resolved” on its own after - what did you mean by this? 

Thanks! 

Just wanted to post an update in case anyone ends up in a similar position (green check on CaRMs then a rejection email). The program ended up giving me the interview!

33 minutes ago, BistroMongre said:

So I applied to rads (across English canada) and family. Got 5 rads interviews and no family interviews. Seriously concerned about prospect of going unmatched. 

You're not alone, I'm in the same boat. I did the same as you and got 6 rads interviews.

We just have to hang in there and hopefully it works out in our favor.

2 hours ago, BistroMongre said:

So I applied to rads (across English canada) and family. Got 5 rads interviews and no family interviews. Seriously concerned about prospect of going unmatched. 

You only need one interview to match, technically. :)

Also, does anybody know what to do with programs that have sent out positive Status Updates but no email? I would like to RSVP, but unsure what to do? 

On 12/20/2019 at 11:58 AM, garlic said:

Long story short: I did an elective at a program, got good feedback while I was there, but ended up waitlisted.

Is it ok to email the program asking about the likelihood of getting an interview, or maybe even asking them to reconsider?
Not sure what the protocol is for waitlists. It is a popular program and so I don't think there will be lots of people turning down invites...

Ugh that's so tough. I've heard from people who did electives at a school (in one case even two!) with great feedback, and they got waitlsited/declined. So you're definitely not alone, and that's a particularly discouraging situation. 

I'd say it doesn't hurt to contact them and re-express your interest, the worst thing that happens is you stay in the same spot on the waitlist. Hope you get an invite as people may cancel!

I know that other smaller specialties typically have a FB group in case people want to link up on down days(when that privilege exists!), for a meal or touristy thing, but would people be interested in one for Family Medicine? Such a large tour, and definitely not a lot of overlap, but i'd be happy to make one.

10 likes and i'll make one and leave a link here after.

16 hours ago, BistroMongre said:

I remember reading that applicants match to one of their top 3 choices ~87% of the time I believe. I would be a little scared too, but statistically speaking you should be fine! It’s always more difficult to speak/think objectively when you’re emotionally invested. Keep your head up!

On 12/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, btdubs said:

Ugh that's so tough. I've heard from people who did electives at a school (in one case even two!) with great feedback, and they got waitlsited/declined. So you're definitely not alone, and that's a particularly discouraging situation. 

I'd say it doesn't hurt to contact them and re-express your interest, the worst thing that happens is you stay in the same spot on the waitlist. Hope you get an invite as people may cancel!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll email once the holiday break is over, and will keep everyone here updated on how things go.