Premed 101 Forums

Will I be applicable for wGPA if I start my undergraduate in Winter 2020 or Spring 2020?

Im an OOP, residing in Niagara Falls, ON, and I might be starting undergrad in Winter 2020 or Spring 2020 at University of Saskatchewan, but someone in a forum told me that if I join term 2 which is on January I won't be applicable for wGpa when applying to medical schools after I complete the Undergrad. So he suggested me to enroll from Fall term September 2020.  

**I wanted to start university as soon as possible because I'm applying as a Non Traditional student aged 22.**

I also found similar answer here: http://forums.premed101.com/topic/62315-starting-university-in-january/?do=findComment&comment=720828

17 hours ago, CherryBlossom9 said:

Im an OOP, residing in Niagara Falls, ON, and I might be starting undergrad in Winter 2020 or Spring 2020 at University of Saskatchewan, but someone in a forum told me that if I join term 2 which is on January I won't be applicable for wGpa when applying to medical schools after I complete the Undergrad. So he suggested me to enroll from Fall term September 2020.  

**I wanted to start university as soon as possible because I'm applying as a Non Traditional student aged 22.**

I also found similar answer here: http://forums.premed101.com/topic/62315-starting-university-in-january/?do=findComment&comment=720828

Usask doesn't do wGPA anymore, so as long as you complete your degree in 5 years of less you should be good. They look at grades from every semester except for the very last one.

Thank you very much for the response.

So is it better to start school right away in January 2020 (Winter term) ( there is still a few days left for Winter term) or May 2020 (Spring term) or should I apply for September 2020(Fall term)??

Someone told me to apply for September term then I can get the advantage of wGPA to medical schools outside of Saskatchewan(incase I don't make it to USask Med school, but my first priority would be USask Med school is one my dream schools because most of my folks are from Saskatchewan). And in the mean time spend the months on volunteering, treating my mental issues by counseling and studying ahead for the first year courses. BUT THE PROBLEM is I'll be a year older Non-Trad student by the time I start university.

12 hours ago, wannabdoctor said:

Usask doesn't do wGPA anymore, so as long as you complete your degree in 5 years of less you should be good. They look at grades from every semester except for the very last one.

Thank you very much for the response.

So is it better to start school right away in January 2020 (Winter term) ( there is still a few days left for Winter term) or May 2020 (Spring term) or should I apply for September 2020(Fall term)??

Someone told me to apply for September term then I can get the advantage of wGPA to medical schools outside of Saskatchewan(incase I don't make it to USask Med school, but my first priority would be USask Med school is one my dream schools because most of my folks are from Saskatchewan). And in the mean time spend the months on volunteering, treating my mental issues by counseling and studying ahead for the first year courses. BUT THE PROBLEM is I'll be a year older Non-Trad student by the time I start university.

11 hours ago, CherryBlossom9 said:

Thank you very much for the response.

Someone told me to apply for September term then I can get the advantage of wGPA to medical schools outside of Saskatchewan(incase I don't make it to USask Med school, but my first priority would be USask Med school is one my dream schools because most of my folks are from Saskatchewan). And in the mean time spend the months on volunteering, treating my mental issues by counseling and studying ahead for the first year courses. BUT THE PROBLEM is I'll be a year older Non-Trad student by the time I start university.

I don't think it matters if you start Jan 2020 or September 2020 because in either case you will be starting med in the same year (there are no winter start dates for med so if all goes well you will have to start in Sept 2024). Starting in Jan doesn't seem to give you any advantage? unless you use the last semester off to solely prep for MMI or something. I would wait till September if it were me

Or you could start in Jan and take 5 summer classes if you think you can manage that over the 3 summers you will have (on top of mcat one summer). Summer classes are only 3 weeks and tend to be busy but a lot easier so marks tend to be better too. This way you save a whole year. Just an option to consider!