Premed 101 Forums

Mac Health Sci vs Western Med sci scholars elective

I'm a grade 12 student applying to science programs next year. Mac health sci is my top choice and mark wise I feel confident, my average goes from about 95-97% fluctuating (bio, chem, physics, english, data, genocide) and i really like my essay responses, I feel pretty good about them as well. I recently found out about the scholars elective program and applied to the med sci and health sci programs both for scholars elective but i’m worried i don't have enough accomplishments to get in. Although mac health sci is an amazing program I'm worried it won't prepare me for med school as i've heard its quite easy in comparison to other science undergrads. In summary what i'm asking is if western med sci (scholars elective or not) would  prepare me better than mac health sci and if scholars elective is worth it to even apply if I don't really have many achievements. Also new to this website so i'm sorry if i approached asking this question incorrectly 

1000%, if you can get into Mac HealthSCi , go there.  Don't even question that.

Western Scholar Electives is just an overlay on MedSci.  You get together a few times a year and do a bit of extra stuff.  More networking with faculty so better chances at getting Research opportunities.  It will not really do much on its own for Medical School admissions.

Your goal in first semester is to adapt to undergrad quickly and ensure you can achieve +3.9GPA.   It is as tough transition. Don't assume you can carry your high marks using the same study approach you are using now.   Once you have the grades under control get involved in one or two quality EC's and use th rest of your time for life balance.

Agreed, coming from a former med sci grad. Scholar's Electives is often just "extra work" and a good chunk of Scholar's students drop that part of the program after 1st year. Any (honest) Mac health sci grad will tell you that the program is insanely easy and almost automatically gives you the GPA to make you competitive for med school. Don't get me wrong, Western was awesome and it would be a great choice as well. However, given the nearly guaranteed high GPA at health sci, most people would say you'd be foolish not to go to health sci if you get in.