Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets (2019-2020)

3 minutes ago, tomatoegg said:

Dang how does booking interviews work though? I realize it's first come first serve, but will there be a link in the email that they send? Worried cause I won't have internet access Wednesday midday!!!

Unfortunately, it requires internet access. A new tab called "interview" appears in your OAS where you are able to select a date and time from the remaining time slots. It shows how many people have signed up for each day and time. Also, you are given the site preference form to fill out, and a huge page of things to read about how interview day works, what you need to bring, and what has to be completed beforehand.

11 minutes ago, acceptmeplease said:

Unfortunately, it requires internet access. A new tab called "interview" appears in your OAS where you are able to select a date and time from the remaining time slots. It shows how many people have signed up for each day and time. Also, you are given the site preference form to fill out, and a huge page of things to read about how interview day works, what you need to bring, and what has to be completed beforehand.

Dang it okay thank you!!! Will have to figure something out then.

Just now, tomatoegg said:

Dang it okay thank you!!! Will have to figure something out then.

I'm also going to be away from internet for awhile tomorrow, just hoping the notifications go out before my flight aha

Last year there were still plenty of slots left at the end of the day, as there aren't usually thaaaaat many early applicants.

Just now, acceptmeplease said:

I'm also going to be away from internet for awhile tomorrow, just hoping the notifications go out before my flight aha

Last year there were still plenty of slots left at the end of the day, as there aren't usually thaaaaat many early applicants.

Ahahah we are in the same boat! I will be on a flight too! Trying to see if it's worth buying wifi during the flight.

TIME STAMP: 09:25 am
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): GPA 81.66, 83.73
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 129/126/131/131 (517)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSN, Completed (but not yet conferred) BSc (4.0GPA / 96.4%avg)
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):
 No research. Registered Nurse. several jobs, a few long term volunteer positions, two scholarships, 4 deans list things, etc etc. 

NAQ Range: 50-75th
My Result: 44%

Unless i get in somewhere in ON, i'll shoot my shot next year again. Hopefully with an 85-86% AGPA. Good luck to those of you that are still in the running. 

I'm OOP MD/PhD applicant and got regrets today at 12:07 EST.

My TFR is 61 and the cutoff for OOP is 63, but I thought OOP MD/PhD applicants are assessed with the IP cutoff (which is a 52)? Also my MD application says rejected but my MD/PhD application says in-progress. Are they just slow to updating my MD/PhD application or do I have hope?

TIME STAMP: 9:09 pst (December 10th)
Interview Invite or Regrets: regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 89.10
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 519
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I thought strong? But not at all reflected by my NAQ score. I work as a teaching assistant, tutor, dance competitively and volunteer weekly with many activities. I also have research experience both with a medical doctor and laboratory research for a thesis. 

NAQ Range: 0th - 24.99th percentile
My Result: confused... does anyone have tips on what they are looking for in the NAQ score?

1 hour ago, bicman said:

Regrets at 9:08am, IP, thought it was the interview invite since I met the early deadline

Portal is down so can't see my score

Can see scores now so here we go:

My Result: Regrets, no interview

TIME STAMP: 12:08 PM EST/9:08 AM PST
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 84.79 (aGPA)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (129/127/130/128)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc completed 2017, MBA in 2018, currently in MPH (finishing this April)
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Third application cycle (thought this might be the one!), added a decent amount of new President of a club for 4 years, 3.5 years working at a coffee shop, 2 summers working in a federal government lab, 2 years research in a lab at university, 4th author on a paper (couldn't include it under publications since I wasn't 1st or 2nd author), 2 years volunteering at a hospital, started a mentorship program with my undergrad student society, internship at a public health department (for which I got an award from CIHR), RA work with an LGBTQ+ epidemiology study, 1 year volunteering at a homeless shelter, 1 year volunteering with an LGBTQ+ advocacy group, started my own survey analytics consulting firm, worked as an election worker in a by-election in February, and some random stuff from high school. 

NAQ Range: 50-75th percentile

TFR (from inspecting element): ~49

Assuming my AQ went up ~1-1.5 points from last year based on my improved GPA, taking it to ~22, I'd estimate my NAQ is ~27

2018/19 cycle: TFR was 45.93 (AQ: 20.51 but aGPA was ~1 percentage point lower, NAQ: 25.42)

2017/18 cycle: TFR was 38.35 (AQ: 19.85, aGPA was even lower than 18/19 cycle, NAQ: 18.50)

Good luck to those who haven't yet heard back!

6 minutes ago, notagunner said:

Regrets (from yesterday around 6pm  IIRC)

AGPA: 92.25

NAQ: 25th to 49th

Is there any way to find a more precise NAQ score? My total score was 54%

You  can use the AQ calculation from last year which is y = (1.6342 * x ) – 116.52, and subtract that from 54%. Your actual AQ will be a bit lower than the formula though, as the interview averages went up a bit from past year, so your actual NAQ will be a bit higher. 

18 minutes ago, premed98 said:

I'm OOP MD/PhD applicant and got regrets today at 12:07 EST.

My TFR is 61 and the cutoff for OOP is 63, but I thought OOP MD/PhD applicants are assessed with the IP cutoff (which is a 52)? Also my MD application says rejected but my MD/PhD application says in-progress. Are they just slow to updating my MD/PhD application or do I have hope?

"Out-of-province applicants who are not invited for interview by the MD/PhD Program will be considered as out-of-province applicants by MD Admissions". My last year's application for MD/PhD still shows as in progress, so safe to assume it doesn't get updated.

My Result: Regrets, no interview

TIME STAMP: 12:06 PM EST/9:06 AM PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 87OGPA, 89AGPA
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 508 (127/125/129/127)

Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc completed 2019
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Lots of stuff, mostly mental health related - started a really big club at my school, launched a global campaign, clinical volunteering (~300hrs), some volunteering abroad, no research at all, but I am completing a QI project, restaurant job for three years, included hobbies like yoga, dance and photography

NAQ Range: 50-75th percentile

TFR57%

Definitely hurts, brb while i go cry in the shower

3 hours ago, C737 said:

TIME STAMP: 9:09 pst (December 10th)
Interview Invite or Regrets: regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 89.10
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 519
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I thought strong? But not at all reflected by my NAQ score. I work as a teaching assistant, tutor, dance competitively and volunteer weekly with many activities. I also have research experience both with a medical doctor and laboratory research for a thesis. 

NAQ Range: 0th - 24.99th percentile
My Result: confused... does anyone have tips on what they are looking for in the NAQ score?

TIME STAMP: 9:06
Interview Invite or Regrets: Ragrats
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): AGPA 90 ish
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB):  507 (probs will rewrite)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc completed
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I thought they were a varied range of mediocre to decent entries so this was a gut punch. Volunteering, leadership (thousands of $ raised for non-profit), research, work experience, thousands of hours of athletics, hobbies, etc...

NAQ Range: 0th-24.99th percentile.... press F to pay respects:lol:
My Result: using inspector tool, 47 TFR (30 ish AQ and probably a 17?! NAQ....) 

Trying to take a stoic approach to this rejection. The initial sight of seeing "regrets" was a slap in the face and it was hard not to feel defeated and saddened. But we must carry onwards commrades. To me there are silver linings to this. Firstly, it gives us time to work, it allows us to spend more time pursuing our passions and helping others, and lastly, it allows us to learn more about ourselves. It might sound cliche to say, "I enjoy/embrace failure", but there is some merit to that trait. To me, this is the stuff that fuels my fire. It makes me want to work harder and with a positive mindset, we can always bounce back. The road to where I go may vary and/or change, but I will never give up my mindset. 

Side note... If anyone who also scored low on the naq wants to talk in private about our entries that would be amazing because I really want to figure out how that may have happened and what we can improve on.

Cheers and congrats to all those who will get interview invites :)

1 minute ago, Call_Me_Reject_Man said:

TIME STAMP: 9:06
Interview Invite or Regrets: Ragrats
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): AGPA 90 ish
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB):  507 (probs will rewrite)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc completed
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I thought they were a varied range of mediocre to decent entries so this was a gut punch. Volunteering, leadership (thousands of $ raised for non-profit), research, work experience, thousands of hours of athletics, music, hobbies, etc...

NAQ Range: 0th-24.99th percentile.... press F to pay respects:lol:
My Result: using inspector tool, 47 TFR (30 ish AQ and probably a 17?! NAQ....) 

Trying to take a stoic approach to this rejection. The initial sight of seeing "regrets" was a slap in the face and it was hard not to feel defeated and saddened. But we must carry onwards commrades. To me there are silver linings to this. Firstly, it gives us time to work, it allows us to spend more time pursuing our passions and helping others, and lastly, it allows us to learn more about ourselves. It might sound cliche to say, "I enjoy/embrace failure", but there is some merit to that trait. To me, this is the stuff that fuels my fire. It makes me want to work harder and with a positive mindset, we can always bounce back. The road to where I go may vary and/or change, but I will never give up my mindset. 

Side note... If anyone who also scored low on the naq wants to talk in private about our entries that would be amazing because I really want to figure out how that may have happened and what we can improve on.

Cheers and congrats to all those who will get interview invites :)

That's a great mindset! I would be interested in discussing entries. I scored in the 0th-24.99th percentile as well. Felt like a big slap in the face tbh. 

TIME STAMP: 12pm
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 92.87
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB):  ~ 510
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 4th year
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): cool (too lazy to list)

NAQ Range: 50-74.99 percentile
My Result: Really close, 1 cm away from OOP cut-offs. Hopefully I will get lucky with Ontario Schools.

Also not sure how to use inspect element of what part of inspect element to look at. Mad that I was so close.

4 minutes ago, MDrapper said:

TIME STAMP: 12pm
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 92.87
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB):  510
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 4th year
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): cool (too lazy to list)

NAQ Range: 50-74.99 percentile
My Result: Really close, 1 cm away from OOP cut-offs. Hopefully I will get lucky with Ontario Schools.

Also not sure how to use inspect element of what part of inspect element to look at. Mad that I was so close.

Was super close too :( 1-2 hurts just a little bit

TIME STAMP: 9:08am PST, 12/10
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 81.44% (2 credits off from dropping a significantly worst year. Rip)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 510 (126/127/127/130)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc., graduating this year
Geography (IP/OOP): IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):
Work part-time at a family practice as a Medical Office Assistant for the last 4 years. VP of UBC club/NPO (3 years, 500 hours), founder of an anti-bullying education program (4 years, 1300 hours), founder of still existing Operation Smile club in my high school (200 hours), social media manager for mental health NPO (4 years, 400 hours), ambassador for anti-bullying UBC project (2 years, 150 hours), project leader for mental health campaign (3 years, 200 hours), seniors' residence (9 years, 1100 hours), undergrad research volunteer in a bioinformatics lab (300 hours), lifestyle blogger (2 years, 300 hours) and writer for a lifestyle magazine (100 hours), musician for church (8 years, 1200 hours), orchestra (5 years, 700 hours), general (7700 hours), and backup musician for various singers. Other various activities with mentorship and mental health initiatives. Couldn't include a new lab internship and mental health program started this September.

NAQ Range: 50th-74.99th Percentile
My Result: 43 TFR probably due to GPA.

Expected my unadjusted GPA to drag down my total score, but it's okay. Best of luck to everyone else and a big congrats to those who make it! Our time will all come eventually, we can take the time to work harder, and use the NAQ feedback to do some good in the world and be passionate about what means most to us. PM if you want to talk and would like to discuss applications and how we can improve :)