Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets (2019-2020)

2 hours ago, OMGsoNERVOUS said:

OMG CONGRATZ TO BOTH OF YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE

2 hours ago, Rabeprazole said:

I WAS GOING TO LIKE BUT IT'S NOT LETTING ME ADD MORE REACTIONS FOR TODAY! CONGRATULATIONS

Thank you thank you :’) today was the first day that I have ever cried HAPPY tears in the Uni library instead of sad ones. 

44 minutes ago, katethegreat said:

For folks who did get an interview, do you have any advice for the rest of us on how to improve our NAQ or application in general? 

If you applied multiple years, did you do anything particularly different this year that you think made a difference? 

What I did differently was re-write my entries, being more specific in what I did for each entry, and providing a detailed breakdown of my hours. I also included hobbies/activities that I enjoy doing and it also helps to show them what you are passionate in. For instance, I volunteer and have done research in a specific area that I have an interest in. Think outside the box for some of your entries and get a few people to read through the application before submitting.

This is my 3rd application, first time no interview and second time waitlisted post interview. Unfortunately, this process takes time, patience, and perseverance. Continue with your volunteering, studies, research, work, etc. and if you haven't done so, get involved in something you are truly passionate in, it does not have to be med related!

I hope this helps! 

44 minutes ago, katethegreat said:

For folks who did get an interview, do you have any advice for the rest of us on how to improve our NAQ or application in general? 

If you applied multiple years, did you do anything particularly different this year that you think made a difference? 

Okay yes I actually have a lot of advise on this and will do a post on it at some point in the near future (finals and stuff right now ya know). 

Last year was my first application and I had a 17 or something very low for my NAQ score. I only added maybe one or two things this year but looking at my old application to my new one is like night and day. How you write your entries and the light you put on your experiences makes all of the difference. You really need to use strong descriptive words (I literally googled that exact thing while writing mine). I Promise I will do a more descriptive post on this at some point but if anyone would like anymore info atm let me know. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:39 PM, bhaggy said:

What I did differently was re-write my entries, being more specific in what I did for each entry, and providing a detailed breakdown of my hours. I also included hobbies/activities that I enjoy doing and it also helps to show them what you are passionate in. For instance, I volunteer and have done research in a specific area that I have an interest in. Think outside the box for some of your entries and get a few people to read through the application before submitting.

This is my 3rd application, first time no interview and second time waitlisted post interview. Unfortunately, this process takes time, patience, and perseverance. Continue with your volunteering, studies, research, work, etc. and if you haven't done so, get involved in something you are truly passionate in, it does not have to be med related!

I hope this helps! 

35 minutes ago, mangostrawberry said:

I feel like I did this too...re-wrote some entries, making them more specific and also broke down my hours. Added new activities as well. My NAQ went from 29 to 21. I don't even know where to go from here now...I'm not gonna give up but I feel so lost. Last year was my first application cycle and was waitlisted post interview.

I'm with you as well! My NAQ went down despite doing the same - rewriting, clarifying hours, being more specific, and adding hours/activities. It is a tough pill to swallow. 

As someone who has applied in 4 cycles. Your NAQ is very subjectively  scored. Doesn't  matter what they say. It can vary as much as 10 points between reviewers. One year I completely messed up my application and had a bunch of spelling errors. Next year,  I had double the number of entries (putting down extracurriculars), added awards and publications, and went over it a dozen times and my score went down by 7 points.

If you get rejected, don't lose hope and try again. There's a huge luck component.

31 minutes ago, kingassault said:

As someone who has applied in 4 cycles. Your NAQ is very subjectively  scored. Doesn't  matter what they say. It can vary as much as 10 points between reviewers. One year I completely messed up my application and had a bunch of spelling errors. Next year,  I had double the number of entries (putting down extracurriculars), added awards and publications, and went over it a dozen times and my score went down by 7 points.

If you get rejected, don't lose hope and try again. There's a huge luck component.

I absolutely agree. There is a huge luck component. 

1 hour ago, BCelectrophile said:

There is a luck component but it isn't necessarily the subjectivity of the evaluation, it is also that the applicant pool can vary widely in terms of NAQ excellence/proficiency each year

Oh I totally agree. There is that too. I mean luck is a big factor more for people on the fence. There are superstar applicants that will be successful 10/10 times.

23 minutes ago, Jordyn_H said:

praying for regular timeline applicants to hear back today. i have a microbiology exam and it would be a great confidence boost lol (or not)

Fr and I hope in an expedited manner cuz yo, I got a physiology exam this afternoon and I'm tryna get that electronic mail before all that madness

15 minutes ago, Rabeprazole said:

Fr and I hope in an expedited manner cuz yo, I got a physiology exam this afternoon and I'm tryna get that electronic mail before all that madness

I have my anatomy final tonight and studying has been ROUGH because of this whole situation. Fingers crossed for good news for all of us!!