Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets (2019-2020)

3 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

I’m actually so curious what the idea is behind no sending them all in one fell swoop. It makes 0 sense. Makes me think it’s a man in a room getting a kick out of it :lol:

Probably because the site would crash with everyone trying to look at their scores at the same time

4 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

I’m actually so curious what the idea is behind no sending them all in one fell swoop. It makes 0 sense. Makes me think it’s a man in a room getting a kick out of it :lol:

Hahaha, seriously eh. But I'm sure theyll respond by saying that thier servers can't handle sending the emails at once. It certainly would be nice though. 

Another idea would be to just send them all out over night or something. 

1 minute ago, Bawgg said:

Hahaha, seriously eh. But I'm sure theyll respond by saying that thier servers can't handle sending the emails at once. It certainly would be nice though. 

Another idea would be to just send them all out over night or something. 

You know people won’t be sleeping if they do that 

TIME STAMP: 4:32 pm
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 86.9% but they didn't seem to do my AGPA when they should have? lol
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 513 and met cutoffs
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): UG
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): thought I had a really diverse set of long-term and unique activities with a lot of leadership and mentorship... but I guess wasn't good enough since I was put in the 0 to 25th percentile range :( maybe because I didn't have a pub in time for the application or I didn't have anything for the high achievement section? lol oh well

NAQ Range: 0-25th
My Result: Regrets, No Interview

3 minutes ago, medr said:

I received my regrets last year after 5:00pm (5:38pm), and the regrets came in waves, so its possible that more regrets will be sent out after 5 again this year.. who knows lol

Same, although last year people didn't really start posting regrets until after 5:00 pm, whereas today the first regrets came out at 1:30 pm. 

3 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

Seeing as how their website was not loading for people who received regrets when they first came out (i.e. too high traffic = slow/crashed servers), it makes sense that they'd want to stagger the release of regrets. That being said, during the 1:30 pm wave, a ton of people posted regrets — all around the same time — before radio-silence ensuing for the past two hours or so. The website has long since recovered from the additional traffic, so maybe it's an incorrectly balanced system that sends everything out in waves? Not sure why things are in waves anyways. Might as well just send everything out in one continuous stream of ten emails every 2 minutes or something. 

Here we go LOL

Well I got an interview last year, and was rejected with average interview score and with a TFR score of 57.77 well above cut off. I'm out of school and working full-time as a Kinesiologist and kept some of my volunteer activities, the important ones. How do I lose so much points to go below the cut off and not get an interview is beyond me :D

TIME STAMP: 1:32 pm
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 85.72% AGPA
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 510
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Bachelors
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Always worked during my undergrad, have been working in a physio clinic and working with patients for two years now. Multiple research positions, UBC SSRA recipient, non-profit organization co-founder involved with kids. senior's home volunteer (active) for 6 years, around campus activities, UBC academic tutor for my faculty. 2 scholarships on my transcript (if that counts for shit :lol:). All around very relevant and consistent activities with what I love, and showed commitment in all of them.

NAQ Range: 50-74.99 percentile
My Result: 50  *Edit: right clicked on the image and hit inspect and then source code IP cut off 52

Keeping the dream alive, but it's time to take my talent to south beach now hahaha

16 minutes ago, HongHongHong said:

Same, although last year people didn't really start posting regrets until after 5:00 pm, whereas today the first regrets came out at 1:30 pm. 

Seeing as how their website was not loading for people who received regrets when they first came out (i.e. too high traffic = slow/crashed servers), it makes sense that they'd want to stagger the release of regrets. That being said, during the 1:30 pm wave, a ton of people posted regrets — all around the same time — before radio-silence ensuing for the past two hours or so. The website has long since recovered from the additional traffic, so maybe it's an incorrectly balanced system that sends everything out in waves? Not sure why things are in waves anyways. Might as well just send everything out in one continuous stream of ten emails every 2 minutes or something. 

Why would it be staggered rejection waves this year when the system has been able to handle all rejections sent out at once in previous years? I'm just confused about that. But maybe it could be related to the increase in applicants this year?

TIME STAMP: 1:31 pm
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 82.5 (not eligible for AGPA)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 515 (129/127/128/131)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 4th year BSc
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Diverse, long-term

NAQ Range: 50-74.99 percentile
My Result: So I was super extra and measured the distance of the IP cutoff mark and my mark on the graph with a ruler... From my measurements, the IP cutoff bar was around 52 and my bar was around 46. *Edit: right clicked on the image and hit inspect and the source code confirmed that my numbers were correct! OOP cutoff was 63.*

This was my first time applying so it's nice to see where I stand! Wasn't expecting an invite with my low GPA and the incredible stats this year, so I'm not too bummed. So excited to drop my disastrous 2nd year next application cycle.

Good luck to the rest of you! :)

1 minute ago, hihello said:

Why would it be staggered rejection waves this year when the system has been able to handle all rejections sent out at once in previous years? I'm just confused about that. But maybe it could be related to the increase in applicants this year?

You're right in that last year it seems like there was only one wave of regrets, and it happened at ~5:30 PST... maybe we are done for the day, and less students just post on premed101...

3 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Residence Advisor for 1 year, Lifeguard/Swim Instructor for 5 years, orientation leader for 2 years, club president for 2 years, homeless shelter volunteer for 1 summer (70 hours), volunteering with people who use drugs for 1 year (125 hours), hospital volunteer for 2 years (120 hours), engineering design team for 1 year (70 hours), self-initiated research project for 1 school year (50 hours), 3 summer research internships (~200 hours each), hobbies (hiking, travel, piano, competitive swimming), some high school activities, some high school scholarships, left research section blank because no pubs, no high performance activities.

My Result: So I was super extra and measured the distance of the IP cutoff mark and my mark on the graph with a ruler... From my measurements, the IP cutoff bar was around 52 and my bar was around 46.

This was my first time applying so it's nice to see where I stand! Wasn't expecting an invite with my low GPA and the incredible stats this year, so I'm not too bummed. So excited to drop my disastrous 2nd year next application cycle.

Haha I had the idea of measuring with a ruler too. You could probably estimate your exact AQ and NAQ score using the AQ formulas from previous years (and also estimate your TFR for next year). I feel like the formulas don't really change from year to year

4 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Residence Advisor for 1 year, Lifeguard/Swim Instructor for 5 years, orientation leader for 2 years, club president for 2 years, homeless shelter volunteer for 1 summer (70 hours), volunteering with people who use drugs for 1 year (125 hours), hospital volunteer for 2 years (120 hours), engineering design team for 1 year (70 hours), self-initiated research project for 1 school year (50 hours), 3 summer research internships (~200 hours each), hobbies (hiking, travel, piano, competitive swimming), some high school activities, some high school scholarships, left research section blank because no pubs, no high performance activities.

My Result: So I was super extra and measured the distance of the IP cutoff mark and my mark on the graph with a ruler... From my measurements, the IP cutoff bar was around 52 and my bar was around 46.

Pro tip, you can right click and press "inspect element" and it shows you a local version of the source code. You can look and see what your exact score was and the cut offs!

TIME STAMP: 4:30 pm
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 91.7
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (127/130/130/127)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): UG
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): 3 year research assistant, NSERC, and other research scholarships. Various club involvements, diverse and long-term volunteering. Mentioned early life adverse events. 

NAQ Range: 0-25th (really stings)
My Result: Regrets, No Interview

TIME STAMP: 4:32 PM EST
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): OGPA 91.56 AGPA 92.05
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 525 (132/129/132/132)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Bachelors
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Heavily academic for awards and achievements, generally weak volunteering with 100-200 hours for most (basketball / personal training for disabled / working with children on the autism spectrum). Lots of employment history with 20 months full-time engineering work experience, some of it international. 1 first author publication in computing science.

NAQ Range: 0-24.99th Percentile
My Result: Regrets, No Interview Invite. On the bar I was at 53% by inspecting element, 62% was the OOP cutoff.

Seems like whatever ECs I could present did not float the boat. Clearly a very competitive field for NAQ! It seems that work/research isn't weighed nearly as strongly as volunteering and service ethic. Hopefully the rest of the country is more enthused about swiping right on me.

Best of luck to all of you!!! It sucks but we'll use our tears to rehydrate and move on to the next one.