Premed 101 Forums

Not your everyday Question

So currently in my 2nd year of undergrad but I have interest for Mcmaster Medical school. This is not a normal question you all see here on the forum this is more of a religious question. I am currently a practicing Muslim and I pray 5 times a day and I know what I am getting my self into and the sacrifices I will have to make which I am totally fine with but the only thing is that during all the rotations do you think I will be able to get like 5-10 mins of free time to go and  pray. During the winter is the first prayer is usually at like 5-6 which would be before but would conflict but be done if its a overnight or 24 hour on call  the second is 11:30am-2pm, the third is 2pm-4:30pm, and the foruth is 4:30pm-6:00pm and the fifth is from 6pm- 5:30ish am. In the spring,fall and summer time the first is usually at 3-4ish and the second is at like 1:30ish-3 or 4ish , the third is from 4ish-8ish, the fourth is 8-10:30ish and the fifth is from anywhere from 10 pm to the next day. It all depends on the season but that is what it usually looks like. I would definitely appreciate some sort of replies and thing will help Thank You !!!!!!!!

I'm sure a current practising Muslim doctor would be the best person to give you advice on this.

But while you're waiting, I can say that religious freedom is one that is highly protected in Canadian law system, and especially in medicine where diversity and inclusivity are always valued. So I don't think there'll be any problems during medical school when you're still in the academic environment: most, if not all schools these days have accommodation for their religious students. With that said, when proceeding to clerkship and the subsequent residency, there might be implicit biases or even subtle prejudices at play from the ever-shrinking minority of the profession that might make it more challenging for you, the same kind of prejudices that are placed upon pregnant, or queer, or minority MD graduates. They're outlawed officially but the way they manifest might make it hard for you. But I guess as long as you make it clear in the beginning and work out a fixed schedule to show your uncompromised commitments, alongside the rapidly progressing culture within medicine, religion really should not hold you back from becoming a doctor. 

5 hours ago, BukhariS said:

So currently in my 2nd year of undergrad but I have interest for Mcmaster Medical school. This is not a normal question you all see here on the forum this is more of a religious question. I am currently a practicing Muslim and I pray 5 times a day and I know what I am getting my self into and the sacrifices I will have to make which I am totally fine with but the only thing is that during all the rotations do you think I will be able to get like 5-10 mins of free time to go and  pray. During the winter is the first prayer is usually at like 5-6 which would be before but would conflict but be done if its a overnight or 24 hour on call  the second is 11:30am-2pm, the third is 2pm-4:30pm, and the foruth is 4:30pm-6:00pm and the fifth is from 6pm- 5:30ish am. In the spring,fall and summer time the first is usually at 3-4ish and the second is at like 1:30ish-3 or 4ish , the third is from 4ish-8ish, the fourth is 8-10:30ish and the fifth is from anywhere from 10 pm to the next day. It all depends on the season but that is what it usually looks like. I would definitely appreciate some sort of replies and thing will help Thank You !!!!!!!!

Common question among Muslim medical students before they start clerkship. I have had no major issues with being allowed to go pray (especially as a medical student). The only issue I've had as a resident is that I've been so busy that I have accidentally missed prayers but you just learn to be hyperaware of the time ahah. Most times people wont even know you slipped away for that time to pray

• 9 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 4:52 PM, ACHQ said:

Common question among Muslim medical students before they start clerkship. I have had no major issues with being allowed to go pray (especially as a medical student). The only issue I've had as a resident is that I've been so busy that I have accidentally missed prayers but you just learn to be hyperaware of the time ahah. Most times people wont even know you slipped away for that time to pray

How was it during friday for friday prayers in Medical school in general and clerkship and now in residency. Do they allow you to go for 15-20 minutes ?