Premed 101 Forums

Interim Statistics 2019/2020

5 minutes ago, Goldfish123 said:

Do you know if there is anywhere we can look to see our OGPA or AGPA calculation (prior to it being converted to a score)? Is this provided when you receive a rejection?

If you receive a rejection, you will be given your OGPA and AGPA (if applicable) used to evaluate your file.

21 minutes ago, HongHongHong said:

Holy, they're changing it quite a bit this year aren't they? I don't know if this is a good change or not.

Regardless, let's get through the beginning of this week everyone! :D

Just now, Goldfish123 said:

Probably a dumb question...but the cut-off used for interviews is different than the 75/85 cutoff on their website right?

My understanding was that the 75/85 was the cutoff to get your file reviewed fully and the cutoffs for interviews are at the bottom of the interim statistics.

Just now, Rabeprazole said:

My understanding was that the 75/85 was the cutoff to get your file reviewed fully and the cutoffs for interviews are at the bottom of the interim statistics.

The grade statistics at the bottom of the interim stats are not the cutoffs for interviews, but the average of those invited. Big difference.

2 minutes ago, Rabeprazole said:

Holy, they're changing it quite a bit this year aren't they? I don't know if this is a good change or not.

Regardless, let's get through the beginning of this week everyone! :D

Yeah, it's fascinating... now there is an NAQ score range? Does this mean we will get two NAQ scores listed if we are rejected? What will this even look like...

1 minute ago, Goldfish123 said:

Probably a dumb question...but the cut-off used for interviews is different than the 75/85 cutoff on their website right?

Yes, totally different. The 75%/85% GPA cutoff is the cutoff to be eligible to apply - if you are below this level, your application never receives a full file review. The cutoffs for interviews are not at the bottom of interim statistics unlike in previous years (they did list the averages of people who were invited to interviews, though). The cutoff for interview is a combination of your NAQ range and AQ score.

1 minute ago, Rabeprazole said:

UBC actually doesn't have any pre-interview cutoffs beyond the 75/85 and minimum MCAT. 

They'll give a score out of 50 for AQ and NAQ , and if the sum of these two scores meets the interview cut-off score, you'll receive an interview. 

Sorry about that! My understanding was clearly wrong, thank you for the clarification @HugeEuge @Goldfish123 @HongHongHong @kronos

7 minutes ago, Neeph said:

What exactly are they doing differently this year?

This is what they have on the blog post @HongHongHong posted:

We have made some changes to how we communicate feedback to applicants this year, and hope that the information below can help to answer some of your questions.

OGPA = Overall GPA in UBC percentage

AGPA = Adjusted GPA in UBC percentage

NAQ Score Range = In order to make sure applicants receive a fair score for this section, all file reviewers are carefully trained, there are various checks throughout the process to ensure consistency in marking, and results are standardized to make up for any scoring variations between reviewers. Due to these safeguards we do not accept requests for re-evaluation of the non-academic section.

My Result = The combination of your academic and non-academic evaluations, in comparison to the BC resident and out of province cutoffs. It may look like your result is very close to the cutoff. We have double-checked these files for accuracy, so unfortunately, your result may be close, but not quite at the level to be invited to interview this year.

Ineligible: no results
Regrets, Partial File Review: OGPA, AGPA (if applicable)
Regrets, No Interview: OGPA, AGPA (if applicable), NAQ Score Range, and My Result indicator
Invited to Interview: no results

This means that what they send out is different than previous years. No AQ score.

2 minutes ago, Rabeprazole said:

Sorry about that! My understanding was clearly wrong, thank you for the clarification @HugeEuge @Goldfish123 @HongHongHong @kronos

This is what they have on the blog post @HongHongHong posted:

We have made some changes to how we communicate feedback to applicants this year, and hope that the information below can help to answer some of your questions.

OGPA = Overall GPA in UBC percentage

AGPA = Adjusted GPA in UBC percentage

NAQ Score Range = In order to make sure applicants receive a fair score for this section, all file reviewers are carefully trained, there are various checks throughout the process to ensure consistency in marking, and results are standardized to make up for any scoring variations between reviewers. Due to these safeguards we do not accept requests for re-evaluation of the non-academic section.

My Result = The combination of your academic and non-academic evaluations, in comparison to the BC resident and out of province cutoffs. It may look like your result is very close to the cutoff. We have double-checked these files for accuracy, so unfortunately, your result may be close, but not quite at the level to be invited to interview this year.

Ineligible: no results
Regrets, Partial File Review: OGPA, AGPA (if applicable)
Regrets, No Interview: OGPA, AGPA (if applicable), NAQ Score Range, and My Result indicator
Invited to Interview: no results

This means that what they send out is different than previous years. No AQ score.

I assume rejected applicants will be able to calculate their AQ score by simply subtracting their NAQ from the "my result" composite score, assuming that is a numerical value.

Just now, HugeEuge said:

I assume rejected applicants will be able to calculate their AQ score by simply subtracting their NAQ from the "my result" composite score, assuming that is a numerical value.

I think we are being provided with a range, so we wouldn't be able to calculate exact AQ scores, but approximate ones

30 minutes ago, Rabeprazole said:

So it seems like people who get rejections will receive their scores with the BC resident and out of province cutoffs side-by-side. Although this makes me wonder if the NAQ cutoff will "vary" based on your aGPA score — your GPA is still assigned a number behind the scenes, which is then subtracted from the standardized TFR cutoff to give you an individualized NAQ cutoff. 

Not sure how much of a fan I am of this, especially since I know in previous years that like a 2.5% jump in GPA (between oGPA to aGPA) has resulted in an AQ score that's ~5 points higher. It was very reassuring for me to see that beneficial scaling once my aGPA kicks in, but now it'll return to being even less clear than before.