Premed 101 Forums

*** The "What Are My Chances?" and "Should I retake my DAT?" Thread POST HERE FIRST

Message added by cleanup

Given the multitude/litany of "What are my chances" and "Should I retake the DAT?" threads popping up, let's clean things up a bit. Please only post these types of posts in this thread. If you post a new topic your post will either be moved or deleted.

Thanks.

23 hours ago, FF20 said:

Hello Everyone

I applied to UBC Dentistry this cycle (2019/2020) and I was wondering what are my chances. My GPA is 4.2/4.33 with the worst year dropped (I don't know how UBC  Dental converts to percentege,  but using UBC Med it is 92%). But my DAT score is not high 20AA/19PAT. I was wondering what are my chances given I have good references/extracurricular. And I am also in province.

Summary:

IP

GPA 4.2/4.33 (GPA>90%)

DAT: 20AA/19PAT

Appreciate your guys input.

Could someone also comment on my chances, I have the whole thing above.

Thanks

First time writing the DAT, feeling unsure of my results!

Reading: 21

PAT: 18

MDT: 20

AB resident applying to U of A, current GPA is 3.9 but after having my worst year removed will be higher (in 4th year so wont know what my final GPA is until after winter sem). I know I need to do well on the interview (if my stats are good enough to get one). Is anyone familiar with U of A admissions? Is there hope for me?

On 12/10/2019 at 12:48 PM, kkfindingapurposekk said:

Hello everyone!

For the longest time I was planning to apply to medical schools and study medicine. However, for several reasons I chose to apply for UofT and Western dental schools. This was very last minute so I had around 2 weeks to study for November 2019 DAT. I just received my scores and I got 21 AA, 20 RC, and 19 PAT. My cGPA is 3.9 and the average of my two highest years (for western) is 94. I graduated in June and I am currently working as a research assistant. I have lots of volunteering and extra-curricular activities. I have also published a paper in a high impact journal.

I am very new to the dentistry world and was wondering what do you guys think about my chance of getting an interview from UofT or Western?

I really appreciate your help!

Great score, especially for only studying 2 weeks! GPA is good and average as well, plus ur extracurriculars. you should be fine. best of luck!

17 hours ago, FF20 said:

Hey Guys

I applied to UBC, here are my stats:

GPA: 4.2/4.33 (92%, using best three years)

DAT: 20AA/19PAT

Do you guys think I have a shot at getting an interview. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they now included EC’s and a personal statement (in addition to an array of questions) for their application. Because of this, they will likely be using a more holistic approach to extend their invites. However, those are pretty good stats so as long as you have good EC’s I’m sure you have a pretty good shot. Hopefully we will get to meet at the interview stage! 

1 hour ago, jd2020 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they now included EC’s and a personal statement (in addition to an array of questions) for their application. Because of this, they will likely be using a more holistic approach to extend their invites. However, those are pretty good stats so as long as you have good EC’s I’m sure you have a pretty good shot. Hopefully we will get to meet at the interview stage! 

You are correct, I had to write a personal statement and include extracurriculars as well as two references. I don't know what the application look liked before, but I have a feeling that they are making changes to thier approach to addmission this year. Becuase they took out all the statistics from past years that they had on the website. I phoned them to find out why and she said they are not relevant anymore. She didn't elaborate on how they are not relevant but I am guessing they are making changes which is also being reflected on thier application. Hopfully we both will recieve an interview, best of luck. Thanks for the words of encouragement since I don't have any idea where I sit in the pool of applicants.

Hello everyone, 

My gpa is 3.99 and for my best two years I have only one A. My DAT scores are 22AA, 26 chem, 19 RC, 20 PAT, 22 BIO. I applied to uoft, UWO and manitoba. I don't know how well I wrote the casper. Do you think it is possible to get an interview from them, especially UWO?

Hey there!

For u of t, I believe you would need to apply after your degree is completed for them to only consider your best three years. 

For western, because you didnt take full time in 2nd year, I dont think that year can be used. Correct me if I'm wrong though. You'd be eligible to apply but you would have a better GPA if you're done your undergrad. Make sure your third and fourth year are full time and youd be in good shape. Just might need to take a gap year to maximize your chances! 

Hi there, 

I was wondering what my changes of getting an interview are at Western.

Top 2 years GPA: 3.96

RC: 20 

PAT: 19

AA: 20 

EC: 8 Teaching Assistant positions in uni., lots of research (volunteer + paid positions) in hospitals and in university + 120 hours of shadowing 

I am worried because I received a relatively low score in chemistry (17). I received 22 in bio. 

Any input is appreciated :) 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, DDSapplicant20 said:

Hi there, 

I was wondering what my changes of getting an interview are at Western.

Top 2 years GPA: 3.96

RC: 20 

PAT: 19

AA: 20 

EC: 8 Teaching Assistant positions in uni., lots of research (volunteer + paid positions) in hospitals and in university + 120 hours of shadowing 

I am worried because I received a relatively low score in chemistry (17). I received 22 in bio. 

Any input is appreciated :) 

Based off previous statistics: GPA meets cut-off. AA/RC is lower than average. EC's are average in my opinion. 

On 1/12/2020 at 2:16 PM, Chickentenders said:

Hi, Im in my third year and plan on applying to dental schools.

aside from my marks which schools should I apply to on the basis of my completed requisits?

I do not want to use my first year average when applying (3.2 cGPA) and want to use years 2, 3 and 4.

Did not take full load in year 2 but got a 4.0 cGPA and finished first semester of my third year with a 4.0 cGPA (full load)

for UofT application (top 3 years dropping worst year) do I apply in my fourth year? When I do, do they monitor my fourth year grades even when sending out interviews? Im confused on the process, or do I finish fourth year and apply in the gap year? 

Any help is appreciated, thank you. :) 

Yeah, you would have to apply after you graduate for your fourth year marks to be considered in the competitive GPA. But there is no harm in applying in your fourth year. It's good practice and you never know you just might get an interview with your first 3 year GPA! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, amaso said:

First time writing the DAT, feeling unsure of my results!

Reading: 21

PAT: 18

MDT: 20

AB resident applying to U of A, current GPA is 3.9 but after having my worst year removed will be higher (in 4th year so wont know what my final GPA is until after winter sem). I know I need to do well on the interview (if my stats are good enough to get one). Is anyone familiar with U of A admissions? Is there hope for me?

Did you end up getting an interview at u of a?

Hi guys! I was wondering if any of you know if in the u of a dental MMI we’re allowed to take extra time to plan and not enter the room as soon as the buzzer goes off? Are we able to enter the room a minute later just to have enough time to gather our thoughts? If so, would this negatively affect our interview score?

thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a unique situation but I was wondering if anyone enrolled in a thesis based MSc program, dropped out of the program and applied to dentistry? I'm thinking of leaving my MSc program for personal reasons but all the grades I have received during my studies have been A/A+ so far, and I get to keep the grades. I called some dental schools and asked if dropping out of an MSc is looked upon unfavorably and they said no, but I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with this. My plan at this point is to explore dropping out, and if i go through with it I want to complete some physics courses to open up my options at other schools + study for the DAT which I will write in November. My biggest question at the moment is if dropping out of an MSc will look bad to dental schools as they will see my complete transcript and the fact that I withdrew from the MSc program. Thanks for the help!