Premed 101 Forums

*** The "What Are My Chances?" and "Should I retake my DAT?" Thread POST HERE FIRST

Message added by cleanup

Given the multitude/litany of "What are my chances" and "Should I retake the DAT?" threads popping up, let's clean things up a bit. Please only post these types of posts in this thread. If you post a new topic your post will either be moved or deleted.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello! I was wondering what my chances are at UWO.

Best two years: 91.75% 

DAT Scores: 21 AA, 21 RC and 19 PAT

CASPer: 3rd Quartile

ECs: Mix of mentorship roles, full-time Dental Research (Co-op), NSERC Award based Dental Research, full-time Hospital research (Co-op), Club Executive Positions, Community volunteering with seniors, General dentist shadowing (50 hrs)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How did you guys feel leaving the DAT? I wrote mine this morning. I finished the test but didn’t have time to review all my marked answers for Bio/chem — is it just me? 

PAT was easier than expected, but we’ll see

I’m not sure about my RC. 

thoughts? The next 3-4 weeks waiting for my results are gonna be gruelling :(

• 2 weeks later...

From Ontario

GPA: ~94% for Western and Usask, 3.74 for McGill and ~3.88 for UofT

DAT: 22 AA, 23 PAT, 24 RC

Casper: 2nd quartile (This worries me)

ECs: sterilization assistant at TCDHA, bit of shadowing, volunteering, varsity athletics, O-week leader and facilitator as well in 4th year, student cabinet, no research though

What do y'all think? Got a rejection from UofT and a waitlist from Western last year.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:14 PM, Lovecoffee said:

How did you guys feel leaving the DAT? I wrote mine this morning. I finished the test but didn’t have time to review all my marked answers for Bio/chem — is it just me? 

PAT was easier than expected, but we’ll see

I’m not sure about my RC. 

thoughts? The next 3-4 weeks waiting for my results are gonna be gruelling :(

The wait was gruelling for me as well! Luckily I got my results in less than 2 weeks, wrote my test on Oct. 15th. Hope you get good news soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 9:12 PM, TriGuy6 said:

The wait was gruelling for me as well! Luckily I got my results in less than 2 weeks, wrote my test on Oct. 15th. Hope you get good news soon

Thank you so much! Received my DAT! You’re stats look really good. I have my Casper soon and it worries me if it throws away all our hardwork for the DAT and ECs.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Do I retake my DAT just to apply to one school?

So I didn't know western takes your most recent score and not best and I did worse my 2nd time on my DAT

18RC/21PAT/16AA  ; Because they had a 19RC cut off I was straight off rejected. 

My first time scores were :21RC/19 PAT/20AA

These scores are good for UBC and UofA 

but if I want to apply to western next year should i retake it ?? 

Also my gpa for western is around 85% ... 

Thank you!! 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, johnnyjonjon313 said:

Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice on my chances, im going to try and apply everywhere I can this cycle but I still have to secure some shadowing, im also in province for BC:

overall GPA 3.51/4.0 UofT (idk what it would be adjusted for worst year)

DAT: RC 25/BIO 25/CHEM 24/SCIENCE TOTAL 25/AA 25/PAT 22

Hey! Your DAT is awesome, so there aren't going to be any issues there. Your GPA is what might hurt you a bit. UofT is most likely switching to purely cGPA this coming cycle so they will no longer be dropping your lowest year. They state on their website that even though their minimum GPA is 3.0, the lowest admitted usually is a 3.85. For Western, they only look at your best 2 years which should be at minimum 80% each. You can calculate your percent GPA here. Western also cares about your extracurriculars so try your best to build them up as much as you can. For UBC, they look at all of your marks and require a minimum 70% to apply but usually have an average admitted GPA of ~83%. They do drop your lowest year if you have finished at least 4 years of study. 

On 4/18/2023 at 7:05 AM, MDDMDDDS_Boi said:

Hey! Your DAT is awesome, so there aren't going to be any issues there. Your GPA is what might hurt you a bit. UofT is most likely switching to purely cGPA this coming cycle so they will no longer be dropping your lowest year. They state on their website that even though their minimum GPA is 3.0, the lowest admitted usually is a 3.85. For Western, they only look at your best 2 years which should be at minimum 80% each. You can calculate your percent GPA here. Western also cares about your extracurriculars so try your best to build them up as much as you can. For UBC, they look at all of your marks and require a minimum 70% to apply but usually have an average admitted GPA of ~83%. They do drop your lowest year if you have finished at least 4 years of study. 

I appreciate the advice! Yeah no way was I going to shoot for UofT, the GPA cutoff is insane and definitely not what I have to be competitive, hopefully UBC or somewhere in the states, thank you regardless tho!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to see what are my chances and whether I should redo the DAT.

Looking to apply to UWO and UofT, but may apply to other provinces if my chances are better.

Avg/GPA for all 4years: 88.6/3.89

UWO-2 year avg/gpa: 91.1/3.96

UofT- best 3 year avg/gpa: 89.6/ 3.92

DAT: Bio 23, Chem 23, AA 22, PAT 18 (ran out of time :(  and didn't put an answer for 4 question but doubt it would've made a huge difference)

Extras:

1st author of Research Paper in Science Advances Impact factor of 11.4

2 Year of research

200+ hours of Shadowing both Doctors and Dentists

Lots of Sports, and coaching kids

Paramedic with City of Toronto for 3 years lots of pt care experience.

Lots of volunteer experience; Alzheimer's centers, sports for kids, etc. 

One final question

Would a thesis course count towards english/writing requirements for reqs

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what my chances are for UofT and Western dental. I'll be applying in 4th year and gpa for uoft is 3.93 and for western its 93.55%. Taking the DAT in august and anticipating 20+ in every section based on my diagnostic scores. Haven't done casper yet. In terms of ECs I have 6 publications, a club exec position, some volunteer tutoring, two jobs (research assistant + tutor), coaching experience, mentorship volunteering, and shadowing (150h by the time I apply probably).

Are my ECs strong enough or should I do more volunteering?

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my 2nd year and only finished with a C+ in Ochem 2 (overestimated my cramming abilities for the final), finished with an A+ in Ochem 1 however. Would you guys consider retaking the course and try to get a better mark or just leave it as is and focus on getting as high of marks as possible in the next 2 years of undergrad? I was looking to apply to UofA, UWO and Dal. Thanks in advance!