Premed 101 Forums

Should I do a 5th year?

My university record is not exactly the best thing I can showcase, but I think I'm at a point where I could try harder and actually have a chance to study medicine.

Here's my record:

1st year: 77% (27 credits)

2nd year: 82% (28 credits) - 1W ( I took the course again in the 2nd semester)

3rd year: 85.5% (30 credits)

4th year: I'm expecting ~ 89% average (30 credits total, 1W)

5th year: I know what to take for GPA-boosting purposes and will likely reach the early 90s.

My AGPA with 1st year taken out as of today is 84.1%, although will likely rise to about 85% once I've finished my second-semester courses. 

My major EC's:

- Volunteered at 3 Labs, 1 lab internship (WorkLearn), I started one last month and will likely continue through my 5th year to get something tangible this time.

- Founder of non-profit organization - will continue through 5th year and beyond.

- 250 hours of community volunteering (continuing for 1.5 years now and will continue for another 1.5)

- Freelance Spanish language tutor (volunteer) since HS.

Do you think I should do a 5th year?  

Hey man, don't stress– if you get your average to an 85+ by the end of 4th year I think youll have a solid shot. Don't stress about not having a high enough GPA, people with lower averages in the 80-85 range get in as well. Even if you don't get in your first try, just keep reapplying because if you keep on improving yourself they'll see that. I know people who have gotten in after applying 4-6 times. Just keep up the commitment to all your ECs and find ways to buff up your resume and one day that day will come.

8 minutes ago, premedubc said:

Hey man, don't stress– if you get your average to an 85+ by the end of 4th year I think youll have a solid shot. Don't stress about not having a high enough GPA, people with lower averages in the 80-85 range get in as well. Even if you don't get in your first try, just keep reapplying because if you keep on improving yourself they'll see that. I know people who have gotten in after applying 4-6 times. Just keep up the commitment to all your ECs and find ways to buff up your resume and one day that day will come.

Thanks for that I'm already expecting myself to spend 3~5 years out of university just reapplying to UBC medicine haha

If I can't pull myself up to 85%, do you think its worth doing a 5th year?

7 hours ago, Olle said:

My university record is not exactly the best thing I can showcase, but I think I'm at a point where I could try harder and actually have a chance to study medicine.

Here's my record:

1st year: 77% (27 credits)

2nd year: 82% (28 credits) - 1W ( I took the course again in the 2nd semester)

3rd year: 85.5% (30 credits)

4th year: I'm expecting ~ 89% average (30 credits total, 1W)

5th year: I know what to take for GPA-boosting purposes and will likely reach the early 90s.

My AGPA with 1st year taken out as of today is 84.1%, although will likely rise to about 85% once I've finished my second-semester courses. 

My major EC's:

- Volunteered at 3 Labs, 1 lab internship (WorkLearn), I started one last month and will likely continue through my 5th year to get something tangible this time.

- Founder of non-profit organization - will continue through 5th year and beyond.

- 250 hours of community volunteering (continuing for 1.5 years now and will continue for another 1.5)

- Freelance Spanish language tutor (volunteer) since HS.

Do you think I should do a 5th year?  

Definitely do a 5th year. Another year of GPA boosting is a more of a gauranteed increase to your AQ score, than NAQ. You can then spend the time focusing on NAQ. It is also easier to continue your current university based involvements, and gain easier access to university based involvements, while still a student. 

Even if you do pull yourself to an 85, you should still strongly consider a 5th year for the above reasons. A even higher GPA is still gauranteed increase in AQ, which is more in your control, then NAQ.