Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2020 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2024

Sun444

4 minutes ago, trienebutdiene said:

Yo am I trippin or what bc I just got my acceptance letter too??? It's so surreal but I'm definitely framing the acceptance letter to look at it before bed every night hahahah. How did you guys pay the $1000 deposit? I have TD and is it okay to pay through the Pay Bills instead of through launch pad?

Congratulations!! I had the same exact reaction when I got the email. haha

5 minutes ago, Sun444 said:

Hahaha how exciting! I had that thought to frame the letter too! I have TD too, used to app but you can even do it online. Tuition payment instructions are on the university website. Just add u of a tuition as your payee under pay bill. Congrats!!!

Thank you! Just did it and very happy about this 1k long term investment hahaha

4 minutes ago, PharmCrew said:

Congratulations!! I had the same exact reaction when I got the email. haha

Yeah the stress spike was so much I trembled like a leaf hahaha. Congrats to you too!!! We're in this together!!!!

This question for someone studied at the UofSask and got admitted into UofA PharmD program. These are the UofSask required courses that I am taking for upcoming PharmD application cycle. 

Biology 6 cu Biology 120.3 and 121.3 
General chemistry 3 cu Chemistry 112.3 
Organic chemistry 6 cu Chemistry 250.3 and CHEM 255.3
English* 6 cu ENG 113.3 and 114.3
Biochemistry  6 cu BMSC 200.3 and BMSC 230.3 
Physiology
human body systems 
6 cu PHSI 207.3 and 208.3
Mathematics (Calculus) 3 cu MATH 125.3 or MATH 110.3
Statistics  3 cu STAT 246.3 
Microbiology  3 cu BMSC 210.3
Nutrition  3 cu NUTR 120.3 
Electives  15 cu 6 credit units from psychology, sociology, native studies, or philosophy; and 9 credit units any electives

Will these fulfil UofA PharmD course requirement? Thanks.

25 minutes ago, PharmCrew said:

Is there a way I can pay the deposit without using TD or RBC? I don't associate with either of these banks, so I'm a bit lost as to how I should be paying the deposit. 

You can pay through your online banking, just add University of Alberta as a payee - instructions from Anjela below! 

1. Log on to your bank's online system.
2. Add the University of Alberta as a payee on your bill payment profile (The name will vary from bank to bank. Do not use the "University of Alberta Faculty Club").
3. Enter your account information. The account number is your seven-digit UAlberta Student ID number and the first four letters of your last name. For example: if your name is John Jones and your student ID number is 1234567, then your account number would be 1234567JONE. If your last name is less than four letters, use your first name to complete the four letters. For example: if your student ID number is 1234567 and your name is John Xu, then your account number would be 1234567XUJO.
4. It may take up to 10 business days for your payment to be processed.

• Within 3-5 days your payment should appear in Bear Tracks
  • Within 6-10 days your payment should appear in your UAlberta Launchpad Portal

2 minutes ago, pharmuofa said:

You can only register for classes after your deposit is showing in BearTracks correct? Because right now my BearTracks is almost blank - very few options to click on...

Yeah not only bear tracks but on launchpad. Then I had to wait a day for the “system to update” before I could enrol. You will also get an email notifying that they received the money. And then another email that you can begin enrolling in classes but for me as soon I got the email that they had received the money that’s when I noticed it update on launchpad and the following day I was able to enrol into classes. 

59 minutes ago, pharmuofa said:

You can pay through your online banking, just add University of Alberta as a payee - instructions from Anjela below! 

1. Log on to your bank's online system.
2. Add the University of Alberta as a payee on your bill payment profile (The name will vary from bank to bank. Do not use the "University of Alberta Faculty Club").
3. Enter your account information. The account number is your seven-digit UAlberta Student ID number and the first four letters of your last name. For example: if your name is John Jones and your student ID number is 1234567, then your account number would be 1234567JONE. If your last name is less than four letters, use your first name to complete the four letters. For example: if your student ID number is 1234567 and your name is John Xu, then your account number would be 1234567XUJO.
4. It may take up to 10 business days for your payment to be processed.

• Within 3-5 days your payment should appear in Bear Tracks
  • Within 6-10 days your payment should appear in your UAlberta Launchpad Portal

Thank you! 

30 minutes ago, ProspectPharmD said:

How long did it take for everyone’s payments to show up on bear-tracks and launchpad? I’m worried that my payment won’t be received by the deadline.

TRUST you don’t need to worry as long as you’ve initiated the payment within the 7 days. Mine took like 5 days. Some people’s took weeks and for some it processed in a day. I had asked Angela the same thing and iam attaching her response.

B0563150-5431-4B6F-9178-C0233DFAFA75.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Sun444 said:

TRUST you don’t need to worry as long as you’ve initiated the payment within the 7 days. Mine took like 5 days. Some people’s took weeks and for some it processed in a day. I had asked Angela the same thing and iam attaching her response.

B0563150-5431-4B6F-9178-C0233DFAFA75.jpeg

Omg thank you!!! I was super stressed over it. On my end, it says that the payment has gone through, so it’s just a matter of when UofA decides to process it. Thanks for replying!! 

I can’t wait to meet you all this upcoming year! 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:41 PM, PharmDB said:

Get ready for a biased answer because I’m not an OOP student, but a few things come to mind. First, UoA has the cheapest tuition in all of Canada for pharmacy (pretty sure), granted, I’m not sure how tuition works being OOP. I also don’t know how the cost of living differs. Second, and more importantly, Alberta has the largest scope of practice for pharmacists in all of Canada, so you’ll probably get more out of your degree from Alberta. Third, and most biased, Alberta is probably more fun lol.

Where are you coming from? 

I thought UBC is the cheapest, their tuition is around $20,000 I believe? And U of A is $25,000?

1 hour ago, pharm9901 said:

I thought UBC is the cheapest, their tuition is around $20,000 I believe? And U of A is $25,000?

The $25000 figure you're referencing is for the PharmD program for practicing pharmacists (for those who want to upgrade from a BSc). UBC actually has the most expensive pharmacy tuition in Canada, followed closely by UofT.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:03 PM, ProspectPharmD said:

I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve heard that acceptance continue to occur throughout July and August, and that anyone who hasn’t heard back until August was waitlisted. I don’t know how true this is though? 

Would anyone recommend (or has anyone) emailed to see if they were waitlisted/how far on the waitlisted they are? I was thinking of emailing to ask, but I wasn’t sure if they’d provide that information. 

Hey ProspectPharmD, 

As far as I know, this is definitely a valid question for the faculty and this is information they had previously disclosed in past years if you just phoned and asked.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:36 PM, Pharmhopeful20 said:

Just wondering if anyone has worked a part time job (I’m thinking only 4 hours a week) while doing the fall semester of their first year of PharmD? If so, how was it? If not, was it due to course load? 

Hey Pharmahopeful20, 

For the past several years, I've hired several first year students at my pharmacy and have hired pharmacy applicants who I've coached into getting into the pharmacy program, and they've never had any issues working even up to 10-12 hours per week in their first year of pharmacy/PharmD. 

For those of you who are wondering what student life in pharmacy is like please feel free to go through our student association (APSA)'s instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/apsalutely/ . A lot of our yearly events have been documented in the stories highlights and posts, up until COVID stopped us. I know things probably wont be quite the same in the fall semester, but APSA will do everything we can to make sure you guys have a good time! Welcome to the pharmily!! 

On 7/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, pharm9901 said:

Hi, does anyone know if we need a stethoscope for school?

You don't need this until later in first year. The faculty will tell you which model to buy and when so don't worry about it right now. I just finished first year and I bought mine in March when we were getting ready to do assessments in lab but we never got to do them before COVID shut down school. So it's been collecting dust in my room... An investment down the drain ;-;

20 hours ago, mossball1 said:

You don't need this until later in first year. The faculty will tell you which model to buy and when so don't worry about it right now. I just finished first year and I bought mine in March when we were getting ready to do assessments in lab but we never got to do them before COVID shut down school. So it's been collecting dust in my room... An investment down the drain ;-;

lmfao I procrastinated and never got mine :wacko: hopefully we get to use them this year

On 7/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, pharm9901 said:

Hi, does anyone know if we need a stethoscope for school?

but yeah, stethoscopes are a requirement for the first year skills lab, the faculty will let you know when to buy them and which models are the "best". They can get pricey but there are a lot of colours/variations you can choose when buying one; a lot of people in our class had fun "customizing" their stethoscopes : )

Can students from previous years talk about experiential placements in the program. Specifically those placements that are outside the Edmonton region. How far out of the city are these placements and how do you handle transportation and housing in these areas. I have an almost full-time job that I have to keep to maintain my lavish lifestyle ;) and it will be hard for me to drop everything and move, should that be required. Again I am not sure how long these placements are either. Any and all insight on how students manage these practicums is appreciated.