Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2020 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2024

Sun444

On 4/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, pharm222 said:

Hello! this is a question for the current first years: Do you guys still have your practicum happening despite the whole COVID situation? or how is your faculty handling this? UBC is still making us go but I wanted to hear if that was the case else where as well! I dont have any UofA friends so i didnt know where else to post this haha! 

Yea we still have our practicum! The faculty is handling the situation very well. Students have the option of postponing their placement to later in the summer. Usually we have ours just in may and june. However, if a student has factors that make this difficult the faculty is allowing them to do this later in the summer.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:23 AM, RoosterG said:

Yea we still have our practicum! The faculty is handling the situation very well. Students have the option of postponing their placement to later in the summer. Usually we have ours just in may and june. However, if a student has factors that make this difficult the faculty is allowing them to do this later in the summer.

Wow thats so good to hear! Our faculty said we can do it this summer and grad on time or we can defer it until next year and graduate 7 months later. Wish they were more flexible considering this is such an unprecedented time. 

2 hours ago, needsomehelp said:

Have u gotten ur invite yet? My friend took it last year and said to dress professional and be confident! 

Thank you for the response :) No I didn't get an interview link yet, just an email saying they should send out one this month. I just want to use my time and prepare however I can! I hate to ask, but does any one know the format? Like is it a one on one interview? or kinda like MMI?

11 hours ago, bekind said:

Thank you for the response :) No I didn't get an interview link yet, just an email saying they should send out one this month. I just want to use my time and prepare however I can! I hate to ask, but does any one know the format? Like is it a one on one interview? or kinda like MMI?

From what I’ve been told, it’s a pre-recorded interview where you will see a video of someone asking you a question. You have several seconds to formulate your answer before your response starts being recorded. I think you have up to 2 minutes to answer each question. I’m sure they’ll explain the format later when we get the interview links! :)

On 4/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, bekind said:

Does anyone have tips in preparing for the interview? I don't really know what to expect 

Hey! I did my MMI last year and I practiced with other people who were also applying to the program (Set up a Skype call or something using the Facebook group, its a great way to make friends and get feedback on how to improve your answers). You can also google mmi questions and practice on your own using those as well as watching youtube videos. Remember to practice saying your answers to your camera and become comfortable with it. Also, while doing your interview take a breath, smile and remain calm you got this! 

On 4/21/2020 at 7:49 AM, lolpharm said:

From what I’ve been told, it’s a pre-recorded interview where you will see a video of someone asking you a question. You have several seconds to formulate your answer before your response starts being recorded. I think you have up to 2 minutes to answer each question. I’m sure they’ll explain the format later when we get the interview links! :)

Thats how it was for us last year! It can be awkward saying your answers to a screen and not receiving any input so just make sure you practice getting comfortable with that. I think last year they had a practice interview on the interview link so you can practice before you actually do it!

We had our last final today; I should be checking this forum more frequently now that I have more free time and you guys are getting closer to the interview stage! Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them, all of us are here to help! You guys will do great, good luck :)

20 minutes ago, KR99 said:

We had our last final today; I should be checking this forum more frequently now that I have more free time and you guys are getting closer to the interview stage! Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them, all of us are here to help! You guys will do great, good luck :)

How is the interview? is it MMI? how many stations and how much should we talk ?

On 4/24/2020 at 11:35 PM, pharmlover2020 said:

How is the interview? is it MMI? how many stations and how much should we talk ?

Overall I found the interview to be fair. Last year we had 4 stations that we had to do. They were all a pre recorded question and then the website recorded our answer. If I remember correctly each question gave us 2 minutes to respond. However I didn’t use all the time to answer each question. 

On 5/4/2020 at 11:22 AM, needsomehelp said:

Does anyone know if there are practice interview questions I can find? I thought I heard from last year that there r practice q on the uni website? I might be mistaken! Thx in advance :))

Yes :) There are many practice questions available through the assessment platform (Kira). You can access the link through your UAlberta email (assigned to you through your CCID). If you're using chrome, make sure any VPN or adblock extensions are switched off. Let me know if anything's unclear. Good luck!

I was wondering if anyone knows whether there’s a benefit to submitting the interview earlier on? I was originally not in a rush because I thought final transcripts would take forever to be received but they already have them apparently so I’ll do the interview soon if it increases my chances or gets me a quicker response