Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2020 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2024

Sun444

23 hours ago, PharmD20 said:

I was wondering if anyone knows whether there’s a benefit to submitting the interview earlier on? I was originally not in a rush because I thought final transcripts would take forever to be received but they already have them apparently so I’ll do the interview soon if it increases my chances or gets me a quicker response 

Hi I’m a first year student! I really don’t know if there’s a benefit or not. I did my interview on the day it was due. I know many students that waited until the last two days to do it. If I were to wager a guess, I’d say it doesn’t matter when you do it. Best of luck! 

3 hours ago, PharmDB said:

Hi I’m a first year student! I really don’t know if there’s a benefit or not. I did my interview on the day it was due. I know many students that waited until the last two days to do it. If I were to wager a guess, I’d say it doesn’t matter when you do it. Best of luck! 

Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, what format do you think is better for the written interview questions, point form or paragraph? I'd imagine point form would be easier for the committee to read, so I'd be more inclined towards that.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, concrete_pinata said:

Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, what format do you think is better for the written interview questions, point form or paragraph? I'd imagine point form would be easier for the committee to read, so I'd be more inclined towards that.

Perhaps the interview is different this year because I never had written questions. But to try and answer your question, just go with what you think is best. Point form might be the way to go, but you may have to write more essay style to better explain your thoughts. Perhaps someone else could weigh in here? 

On 5/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, concrete_pinata said:

Here are some tips for the video interview, tho:

- Be yourself, be honest, be thoughtful, be confident. It’s not all about your answer, but it’s also about how well you speak and how you deliver what you want to say. 
- Speaking to a computer camera is weird, especially when you can see yourself doing it. Use the practice resources the university has. Don’t be like me and discover them the day the interview was due. 

- The practice questions give you plenty of time between the question and when it starts recording (around 30 seconds), but you only get like 10 seconds in the actual interview. So just a heads up on that, as that can really fluster you if you’re not prepared for it. 
- What kind of questions can you expect? I don’t want to give much away, but if it’s similar to mine, you’re going to get one question that’s sort of a warm up that you can play around with, one question about health care, one question on an ethical dilemma, and one question a little more related to pharmacy. 

The interview is done before you know it. It all happens so fast and your mind is racing a mile a minute. Just breathe, dig deep, and you’ll all be great. 

I’ll keep checking in once in a while if anybody has any questions :)

14 hours ago, Henil said:

Has anyone appeared for the Interview ? 

Yeah I did it a couple of days ago! It’s actually not that bad but I didn’t prepare at all so I wouldn’t advise that haha. There were no written questions on mine, all video. PharmDB’s description was pretty spot on so I don’t really have much to add. If you have any questions let me know

Have anyone handed in their Spoken English Requirement but it hasn't been updated on the launchpad? I handed mine in over a month ago but it's still not updated. I have sent a couple of emails to office of register and they just said the file is with the faculty and any updates will be posted on launchpad. 

7 hours ago, haha said:

Have anyone handed in their Spoken English Requirement but it hasn't been updated on the launchpad? I handed mine in over a month ago but it's still not updated. I have sent a couple of emails to office of register and they just said the file is with the faculty and any updates will be posted on launchpad. 

Did you get an email to submit? Also did the drop down menu have the language requirement for selection?

On 5/21/2020 at 2:25 AM, Ipsalm said:

Did you get an email to submit? Also did the drop down menu have the language requirement for selection?

The spoken english requirement was on my checklist. I asked the office of the registar if they needed my transcripts and they said yes. In the drop down menu, there was a selection for high school transcript. 

So I just did my interview and as I got to question 4, the video stopped loading!! I waited for a bit but then had to refresh the page. It worked after I refreshed but now I am worried coz we are told not to refresh the browser. Has this happened to anyone? I've emailed Angela about it just now.

21 hours ago, Sun444 said:

So I just did my interview and as I got to question 4, the video stopped loading!! I waited for a bit but then had to refresh the page. It worked after I refreshed but now I am worried coz we are told not to refresh the browser. Has this happened to anyone? I've emailed Angela about it just now.

Sorry to hear ab the situation. Hasn't happened to me, but it sounds like you did the right thing by emailing them (and explaining your scenario). I wouldn't worry :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 2:09 PM, Ipsalm said:

With the interviews done, i wish everyone the best.

Thanks! Hopefully we can all enjoy the summer given the outcome is out of our control now. We can stress about it when the results start rolling in haha

Speculating from the older threads here: there might be four waves of invites to be sent out (one wave per week), starting from roughly the third week of June onwards. This might not be totally correct tho.

9 hours ago, Pharmmmm said:

Has anybody heard anything yet?

6 hours ago, concrete_pinata said:

Speculating from the older threads here: there might be four waves of invites to be sent out (one wave per week), starting from roughly the third week of June onwards. This might not be totally correct tho.

6 hours ago, 1738 said:

transcripts are due june 15 so i dont think we'll hear anything till then

7 hours ago, Ipsalm said:

I think it’s a bit too early to have heard from them at this time.

UBC has already sent offers