Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2020 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2024

Sun444

2 hours ago, beepxboop said:

Just have a question! I'm looking forward to apply for pharmacy however I didn't do too well in on biochem as I'd like since it is a prerequisite and they look at the GPA for the biological sciences, did anyone take another level up or what did you guys do?

I took biochem320 since I also didn’t do that well for biochem200. Maybe you can try that course. Good luck! 

I got my acceptance letter yesterday too !!

For anyone who's curious about my stats :

I'm in province student at University of Alberta. 

Excluding 2020 winter term, my gpa was

pGPA: 3.87 

cGPA: 3.7 last year and 3.9 this year 

I got all A/A+ for cell bio, biochem, micrb, physl. 

Extracurriculars: Not much. 2 months of volunteering as a tutor and no clubs. I wrote my working experiences but they were not related to healthcare at all. 

LOI: Pretty decent. I wrote about real world pharmacy issues as someone who got admitted suggested in this forum. For extracurricular section of LOI, I wrote about interesting hobbies and related it to my personality. I tried to come up with something that were not too common. 

Interview: I did mine on May 31st. I don't know if doing an interview early is an advantage cuz I left mine until last minute lol. The interview was not awful, but I think it didn't go that well. For one of 4 questions, I totally blanked out and mumbled for a bit. Other questions were just okay. 

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you guys in fall term! Congrats to who got accepted. I wish you guys the best of luck if you are still waiting. 

Just got my admission today too!! For anyone who is interested...

IP student from UofA

w/o winter 2020:

prereq gpa: 3.6

cumulative gpa: 3.7 last year (30 credits) and 3.9 this year (27 credits, one W - becuz i thought lin alg would be doable and oh boy it was not lol)

LOI: kindof cheesy tbh, just wrote eloquently about how i wanted to be of service to ppl (which isn't a lie but going back and reading it is kinda cringy hahah). also talked about different hobbies and how they kindof tied into the extracurriculars that i have (so that my volunteerism carries some sort of meaning, not just so I was doing it for the references)

work and volunteering: worked with kids with autism, in a lab, and immigrants coming into Canada (an organization i've been with for 6ish years)

interview: i honestly preferred the pre-recorded videos, i feel as though i would've been way more nervous if it were in person. just sortof spoke with poise and confidence - even if what you're saying isn't revolutionary, so long as you sortof articulate yourself clearly and professionally i think you're ok.

i'm actually super excited to meet everyone in the fall term even if it is virtual :))  to those who r still waiting, don't stress there are so many more acceptances to be rolled out! just take a breather and try to enjoy the summer!!

Accepted June 17

IP UofA

Prereq GPA: 3.6 (good grades + references (for Winter 2020) in biologically related courses)

Last 2 year GPA: 3.6 

LOI: Hobbies and Interests, mentioned shadow experience, importance of serving community/society 

Volunteer with on and off campus groups (community, healthcare)

Interview: Smile, speak clearly, and concisely. Directly answered questions (no tangents). Eye contact and good lighting

I got my acceptance on June 17th!

I completed my undergrad in Ontario (graduated in 2016) but have been living in Alberta since 2016 (therefore I am an IP applicant)

I thought I would now contribute my stats for those still waiting and for future students to refer back to. Thank you to past students who have done the same; it really helped me through this whole process!

Prereq GPA: 4.0

Overall GPA: 3.97

LOI: I wrote about how I want to use my pharmacy degree to help me decide which career path I want to take. I talked about how my personal experiences have exposed me to various career opportunities and why these experiences have led me to pursue a pharmD. 

Extracurriculars: SO cringe to go back and read. I talked about how I currently live in a national park because of my love of the outdoors and mentioned some of my favourite outdoor activities and places that I like to go. I also talked about my passionate for fitness and running, and for reading fiction novels. 

Interview: Held off on it until the last day because I was so anxious to do it. I didn’t feel great about it but I also didn’t feel terrible. I ultimately felt like I botched one question, did pretty good on two of the questions, and okay on the last. 

I'm not sure if I will accept this offer as I have been fortunate enough to be admitted into another professional program! I have until June 24th to decide so I will definitely keep you all updated as I know how annoying waiting can be!

Got my acceptance on June 18th (Thursday)

IP student from UofC with a BSc in Bio 

Prereq GPA: 3.4 (did most of the prereqs in my first two years)

OGPA: 3.6 (don't ask about the first two years lol)

Last 2 years GPA: 3.9

LOI: Wrote about what made me what to go into the profession and I supported that by talking about my experiences (mainly through volunteering).

Extracurriculars: had a part time retail job throughout university and volunteer at various places that I care about. I volunteer at a hospital (for 5 years), the food bank (for 3 years), and at a nursing home (for 4 years). For my hobbies, I talked about what I actually like to do and what I do in my spare time such as sports and music.

Interview: the interview went well and I felt that the pre-recorded format is easier because there is no one watching you directly, so there's less pressure. I made sure to speak clearly and hit all the main points within the time allotted.

I can't wait to meet all of you in the fall! For everyone still waiting, good luck!