Premed 101 Forums

127/125/127/129 with 3.75 cGPA...no chances?

I am a 4th year Canadian student at Western, with a cGPA of 3.75. 

I am planning to do my fifth year, so I can complete some prereqs to open more doors and increase my GPA. (3.6 first two years, 3.78 third year, and around 3.85 in fourth year)

What are my chances with 508 MCAT (127/125/127/129) for med school in Canada or US? 

I thought I could get into some mid-level med schools in US, but it seems like their cutoffs are a lot higher for Canadians or international students. 

Also, are there any chances for med schools in Canada with 125 CARS? 

Is there no chance at all in either way unless I retake my MCAT, since my GPA is almost done.

Thank you!!

Is that your OMSAS GPA? were those full time years?

Assuming yes, and full time years, Let's go coast to coast:

UBC: Your AQ is likely too low for an insane NAQ to compensate in the OOP pool. 

Prairie schools: Your MCAT is too low. 

UofM; Highly unlikely, your MCAT and GPA are far below OOP standards.

That leaves you with Ontario/McGill/Atlantic schools. 

For Ontario McMaster is likely out (you'd need an insane CASPer), Western (MCAT) and Ottawa (GPA) are out, UofT might work (what's your aGPA?), Queens may cut you for the 125, and NOSM is a mission school. 

McGill has fierce OOP competition, as do the Maritime schools. You're likely below the Memorial MCAT cutoffs.

So, if you haven't detected the theme, rewrite your MCAT and face CARS to open up more schools. For maximum opportunities you should only rewrite if you are in the 128+ CARS territory (ideally more to compensate for your cGPA at McMaster). 

55 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Is that your OMSAS GPA? were those full time years?

Assuming yes, and full time years, Let's go coast to coast:

UBC: Your AQ is likely too low for an insane NAQ to compensate in the OOP pool. 

Prairie schools: Your MCAT is too low. 

UofM; Highly unlikely, your MCAT and GPA are far below OOP standards.

That leaves you with Ontario/McGill/Atlantic schools. 

For Ontario McMaster is likely out (you'd need an insane CASPer), Western (MCAT) and Ottawa (GPA) are out, UofT might work (what's your aGPA?), Queens may cut you for the 125, and NOSM is a mission school. 

McGill has fierce OOP competition, as do the Maritime schools. You're likely below the Memorial MCAT cutoffs.

So, if you haven't detected the theme, rewrite your MCAT and face CARS to open up more schools. For maximum opportunities you should only rewrite if you are in the 128+ CARS territory (ideally more to compensate for your cGPA at McMaster). 

Thank you very much for the reply. 

Yes, they're all full time and the breakdown is (3.6 first two years, 3.78 third year, and around 3.85 in fourth year - still progressing) as I mentioned earlier...

I was very much discouraged to rewrite MCAT since I had a steady 125 all throughout practice AAMC for CARS. I guess there's no chance for me in Canada unless I rewrite my exam. :(

Take it w a grain of salt but here's my experience: I applied to the US schools this cycle. However, w a 3.8 gpa (4.0 for the most recent 2 years) and a 515 (129/128/129/129), I did not manage to score a single interview so far. I had decent ECs - competing provincially/varsity for sports, research with publications, presentations, 1000s of volunteering hours and work experience in teaching work and at the hospital, top of class awards, blah blah blah... 

For Ontario, 125 in CARS will knock you out for Western, Mac, and Queens. You're left w Ottawa (however your wGPA knocks you out there) and UofT where you weighted GPA might be high enough to be considered! It will depend on your ECs, which need to be fantastic and if your GPA is 3.9+... you might have a shot there! Rest of Canada, very unlikely because they have very high academic standards for OOP.

Your best bet with these stats would be US DO schools.... I might be slightly pessimistic given how my app is going so far. Got 2 USMD rejections already from schools w average GPAs of 3.7 and 510 on the MCAT. They tend to expect a lot more from Canadians as you correctly said. Not sure about Ontario yet (rip Jan), but it's a shark tank where unless you have a 4.0, 528, and amazing ECs... your chances are slim because you're competing with thousands of others who all have "good" stats and ECs like mine... But definitely rewrite the MCAT, and aim for a 514+ w/ a 128+. It is definitely possible, I was getting a 124-125 on my AAMC practice as well... :( 

On 1/1/2020 at 6:50 PM, SeeAnNa said:

I am a 4th year Canadian student at Western, with a cGPA of 3.75. 

I am planning to do my fifth year, so I can complete some prereqs to open more doors and increase my GPA. (3.6 first two years, 3.78 third year, and around 3.85 in fourth year)

What are my chances with 508 MCAT (127/125/127/129) for med school in Canada or US? 

I thought I could get into some mid-level med schools in US, but it seems like their cutoffs are a lot higher for Canadians or international students. 

Also, are there any chances for med schools in Canada with 125 CARS? 

Is there no chance at all in either way unless I retake my MCAT, since my GPA is almost done.

Thank you!!

Sorry, maybe I missed it but are you SWOMEN for Western? If so, your CARS score is good to go. but your overall score is 1 point too low.