Premed 101 Forums

Deleted

Kaboom

Agree ankle length pants are fine, assuming there is no awkward flesh-sock gap showing or anything like that.

Re: blazer, unsure what you mean by feeling uncomfortable (physically restricting or does not feel like 'you'). Although a collared shirt and pants is also a professional look, and interviewers should not have any issues with it, do know that essentially everyone else will be wearing a blazer and consider whether you would be comfortable being the exception. If a traditional lined blazer is too stiff, there are many unlined knit and synthetic options nowadays that are more economical and will also fit the bill, but it's up to you.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:08 PM, Kaboom said:

Hi everyone!

I have my MMI coming up and I don't really know what you are expected to wear for them. I was thinking of wearing a colorful blouse/button-down along with 7/8-ankle length black pants and no blazer. I know that ankle length pants are sometimes considered not formal enough for an interview. Should I stick with regular length pants to play it safe?

Also, I know that many people opt for the full suit look, but personally I do not feel comfortable wearing a blazer during the entire interview. Is wearing only a blouse and dress pants good enough or am I undressing for the occasion?

Thank you!

Blouse and dress pants is fine. I wore a dress and a cardigan. It’s true most other people were in blazers/suits, so I did feel a little like I stuck out at first, but I forgot about it pretty quick once the MMI started. Wear whatever will make you feel the most comfortable and allow you to perform the best!

I imagine most students usually don't wear a blazer in their daily lives, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to get used to if one enters a professional career in medicine, for CaRMS interviews if nothing else. Maybe don't think of it as a blazer, just a jacket. If the material is soft and stretchy, it should feel no different from a cardigan or light sweater. 

On 1/4/2020 at 9:08 PM, Kaboom said:

Hi everyone!

I have my MMI coming up and I don't really know what you are expected to wear for them. I was thinking of wearing a colorful blouse/button-down along with 7/8-ankle length black pants and no blazer. I know that ankle length pants are sometimes considered not formal enough for an interview. Should I stick with regular length pants to play it safe?

Also, I know that many people opt for the full suit look, but personally I do not feel comfortable wearing a blazer during the entire interview. Is wearing only a blouse and dress pants good enough or am I undressing for Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 the occasion?

Thank you!

The colorful blazer would reaaaaally stand out. You want them to remember you for your personality not your outfit. 99.9% of the girls at my interview stuck to black, grey, or navy, including myself. You could wear a muted pink or pastel blouse to add some style without standing out too too much. Skirt vs. pants, heels vs. flats is completely up to you and what you feel most comfortable in. Be aware that you will walk a metric fuck ton during your interview, so if you opt for heels be smarter than I am and make sure they are comfortable and broken in.

I disagree a bit with the idea that one should avoid bright colours or standing out with your clothes. Sure, if that’s not you, don’t do it. But the whole point of the interview IS to stand out - in a good way. You should try to do that with by being composed, thoughtful, articulate, etc. You can also do that with clothes that manage to show your personality while also walking the fine line of being tasteful and professional. Obviously you don’t want your outfit to be the only thing they remember, so a full neon yellow pantsuit may not be the best idea... 

But it you’re the sort of person who tends to like wearing bright colours, I don’t see the issue in incorporating that into an outfit. Many of the female doctors I work with (and some of the men) wear lots of fun colours as part of their professional outfits. I recall that among the interviewers, some were more dressed down, while some were also pretty colourfully or even casually dressed (depending on the school, you may find that many interviewers are members of the community outside of Medicine). In my med school we have a lecturer who has made a real point of wearing sweaters that make her resemble a uterus  (you can probably guess her specialization). Etc. You do you.

Edited by frenchpress

22 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

I disagree a bit with the idea that one should avoid bright colours or standing out with your close. Sure, if that’s not you, don’t do it. But the whole point of the interview IS to stand out - in a good way. You should try to do that with by being composed, thoughtful, articulate, etc. You can also do that with clothes that manage to show your personality while also walking the fine line of being tasteful and professional. Obviously you don’t want your outfit to be the only thing they remember, so a full neon yellow pantsuit may not be the best idea... 

But it you’re the sort of person who tends to like wearing bright colours, I don’t see the issue in incorporating that into an outfit. Many of the female doctors I work with (and some of the men) wear lots of fun colours as part of their professional outfits. I recall that among the interviewers, some were more dressed down, while some were also pretty colourfully or even casually dressed (depending on the school, you may find that many interviewers are members of the community outside of Medicine). In my med school we have a lecturer who has made a real point of wearing sweaters that make her resemble a uterus  (you can probably guess her specialization). Etc. You do you.

Sure, doctors wear all sorts of different things at work, but I think it's important to take attire in the context of the setting. I think ultimately there is nothing to gain by wearing something that deviates from what is considered the normal interview attire, and may possibly have a negative effect. Many people within the professional are still traditional in thinking. As an applicant, you want to stand out in terms of the content of your answers, not your clothing. It might be acceptable to dress as a uterus once you're a staff lecturer, but I would avoid doing that at the interview stage...

7 minutes ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

Sure, doctors wear all sorts of different things at work, but I think it's important to take attire in the context of the setting. I think ultimately there is nothing to gain by wearing something that deviates from what is considered the normal interview attire, and may possibly have a negative effect. Many people within the professional are still traditional in thinking. As an applicant, you want to stand out in terms of the content of your answers, not your clothing. It might be acceptable to dress as a uterus once you're a staff lecturer, but I would avoid doing that at the interview stage...

Well sure, dressing as the uterus probably falls into the category of “only thing they’ll remember.” :P But there’s nothing abnormal in professional interview settings about a bit of colour, and I think there are tasteful, professional ways to choose clothes to help you stand out from the crowd without the outfit screaming “HEY! I LOOK DIFFERENT! PAY ATTENTION TO THAT AND NOTHING I AM SAYING!”

On 1/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, Kaboom said:

Hi everyone!

Also, I know that many people opt for the full suit look, but personally I do not feel comfortable wearing a blazer during the entire interview. Is wearing only a blouse and dress pants good enough or am I undressing for the occasion?

Thank you!

Hey! For my interviews I wore ankle length dress pants and a blazer with a satin nude blouse underneath and nude flats to match. My suit was navy blue and I dont ever wear blazers and jackets but I dont regret it because it was kind of cold in the places and when I'm nervous, I get even more cold LOL. And by the time you start you're way too focussed on interviewing to think of your comfort levels tbh. I'd say that by far, everyone wore a full suit of some kind and majority were also navy. Some people wore black suits and there was a handful that were pretty casual dressed (dresses and cardigans, business casual for guys). TBH i would personally recommend wearing a suit with a blazer, it makes you look really put together and professional and then whatever you have to say to sell your personality will just add to it.