Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Interview Invites/Regrets 2020

Time Stamp: 9:47 am
Invite/Reject: reject

GPA: 3.79
CARS: 128
Casper: this was my fifth with one successful Casper in the past for another program. It was the first time I didn’t answer a question because of running out of time so I felt it went poorly. I usually feel good about them but it hasn’t ever worked out.

Geography: in province 

Third time wasn’t the charm. What else is new? 

Time Stamp: 9:06
Invite/Reject: Invite

GPA: 3.96
CARS: 127
Casper: I felt alright about it, I guess it went well for me to get an interview

Geography: IP, 3rd Year

For real though, I cant even describe how grateful and humbled I am to apply among so many talented students and to also receive an invite. Good luck to everyone.

Time Stamp: 9:04 am
Invite/Reject: Invite

GPA:3.92
CARS: 130
Casper: Honestly really bad lol, probably finished all the questions for 2 scenarios. Had to leave the 3rd one blank for a bunch due to a slow typing speed. Was really nervous about getting a mac interview so im super pumped!

Geography:IP

19 minutes ago, EmAeci said:

Time Stamp: 9:00 am EST
Invite/Reject:  invite!

GPA: 3.92
CARS: 127
Casper: felt good about it. Prepared a lot for this

Geography: IP

How did you prepare? I did a few practice groups with forum members, read "Doing Right" to give a framework to some answers, utilized whatever I could find that was provided online for free, and had 4 previous tests under my belt. I need to find the missing link.

8 hours ago, criticalthinker said:

As a current MD student, at a top 5 university, I found it absurd that candidates of such high caliber (and many of my close friends, with 4.0 GPAs and MCATs in 515-520s) are not offered interviews (at a school that is ranked 77th in Times Higher Education's). What makes this selection process more mind-boggling is that only one segment of the MCAT and a situational judgment tests (that is argued to be biased against certain demographics: Jerant A. et al. 2015 Academic Medicine ) have such a huge impact on chances of being offered an interview. 

My thoughts are:

1- MCAT is a comprehensive standardized exam! Why not include other MCAT sections? (Shouldn't a medical school applicant have a solid understanding of biology, biochemistry, physics, chemistry, sociology, and psychology???) 

2- As an immigrant, a person of lower socioeconomic background, and someone who english isn't his/her first language, CARS, Casper, and MMI, create Herculean barriers for people like me to overcome. 

3-  McMaster associated company (ALTUS Assessments Inc) are making a lot of money from these test and most of the pro-research on this topic is born from McMaster studies. This basically displays a financial conflict of interest in the admission process for McMaster university. 

4- Unlike what is said, it is highly possible to prepare for MMI and Casper by spending a lot of money, time, and going to prep companies. 

5- Why are people's extracurricular activities, research, and awards not considered at MAC? 

Please don't be rude and attack my post! I have been factual. I hope that my post acts as a primer in the minds of the applicant community and hopefully future physicians. 

P.S. Congrats to qualified applicants who are offered interviews! I wish you the best.

I feel like Mac is my only chance since my ECs are kinda lackluster but that's just me. Everything else I completely agree with, especially the socioeconomic barrier. All too real. Ideally things would be more holistic where high stats OR great ECs or some combination could equal a successful app but it seems a lot of schools look at one or the other which is a little annoying. 

45 minutes ago, Nik- said:

How did you prepare? I did a few practice groups with forum members, read "Doing Right" to give a framework to some answers, utilized whatever I could find that was provided online for free, and had 4 previous tests under my belt. I need to find the missing link.

You need to get feedback from a trusted and credible source. It isn't enough to just practice, as you could be practicing the wrong thing. 

1 hour ago, Lizardtits said:

Timestamp: 9:14AM 

Invite/Reject: Invites!!!! 

GPA: 3.18

CARS: 126

Casper: really didn’t study but did it before for nursing school. Thought the nursing one was tougher tbh lol. Clearly did pretty well 

-IP

Wow, you must have had an outstanding Casper! Great job :) 

1 hour ago, Lizardtits said:

Timestamp: 9:14AM 

Invite/Reject: Invites!!!! 

GPA: 3.18

CARS: 126

Casper: really didn’t study but did it before for nursing school. Thought the nursing one was tougher tbh lol. Clearly did pretty well 

-IP

Wow, congratulations! I did it for nursing too. No luck, though. Maybe you felt it was tougher since it was so new the first time around. The questions are recycled.

12 hours ago, criticalthinker said:

As a current MD student, at a top 5 university, I found it absurd that candidates of such high caliber (and many of my close friends, with 4.0 GPAs and MCATs in 515-520s) are not offered interviews (at a school that is ranked 77th in Times Higher Education's). What makes this selection process more mind-boggling is that only one segment of the MCAT and a situational judgment tests (that is argued to be biased against certain demographics: Jerant A. et al. 2015 Academic Medicine ) have such a huge impact on chances of being offered an interview. 

My thoughts are:

1- MCAT is a comprehensive standardized exam! Why not include other MCAT sections? (Shouldn't a medical school applicant have a solid understanding of biology, biochemistry, physics, chemistry, sociology, and psychology???) 

2- As an immigrant, a person of lower socioeconomic background, and someone who english isn't his/her first language, CARS, Casper, and MMI, create Herculean barriers for people like me to overcome. 

3-  McMaster associated company (ALTUS Assessments Inc) are making a lot of money from these test and most of the pro-research on this topic is born from McMaster studies. This basically displays a financial conflict of interest in the admission process for McMaster university. 

4- Unlike what is said, it is highly possible to prepare for MMI and Casper by spending a lot of money, time, and going to prep companies. 

5- Why are people's extracurricular activities, research, and awards not considered at MAC? 

Please don't be rude and attack my post! I have been factual. I hope that my post acts as a primer in the minds of the applicant community and hopefully future physicians. 

P.S. Congrats to qualified applicants who are offered interviews! I wish you the best.

I don't understand the point of this post. You're already a medical student, why bother? It reads like someone who still holds a bitter grudge. McMaster have been doing things their way for decades and are a pretty revolutionary school (for example, they were the first to implement PBL which is used all over the world now, probably at your school too). CARS tests deductive reasoning which is a crucial skill to possess in medicine (it's not just memorization) and Casper is more of a filter test. They want to get a general idea of what the applicant is like. It makes lying on an application harder because they don't care if you created some charity or pumped out 100 research articles before the end of 1st year (I'm looking at you son of that rad onc).

Also FYI academic institution rankings don't mean anything. It is more to do with the research they pump out. I know of people currently studying medicine at the University of Melbourne & University of Sydney in Australia, both great schools that are ranked as being 17th & 18th in the world for med by QS World University rankings. But they are there because they could not get into a Canadian school with their lower (albeit still fine) stats.  I know for a fact they would have been grateful to get into Saskatchewan or Manitoba  (which ranks waaaay further down, something like between 400-450 I think). They are shelling out over 350k to attend big name institutions that do a lot of research and are more forgiving to international applicants with lower stats because they are full fee paying.  So again, ranking doesn't mean anything. Bashing McMaster for being ranked 77th really isn't doing you any favours.  Also the fact that you think applicants with a 4.0 and 520 MCAT are entitled to an interview is concerning. No one is entitled to an interview. People with a wide variety of stats and life experiences bring a lot to medicine.