Premed 101 Forums

***Médecine/UdeM prèparation pour admission 2020

8 hours ago, mechy said:

Hey guys, I have a question. If one does get accepted into "annee preparatoire", are you almost guaranteed to get in med afterwards or far from it?

Yes but you need to maintain a certain average. At McGill you need to finish the first year with a 3.5 gpa minimum. I don’t know what that number is for udem tho

On 1/14/2020 at 10:07 PM, mechy said:

Hey guys, I have a question. If one does get accepted into "annee preparatoire", are you almost guaranteed to get in med afterwards or far from it?

If you pass all the med preparatory year courses you are guarantied to go to first year. To pass a course you have to get minimum 60% per course. Don't get scared about it, 99% of the class goes to first year, the 1% is usually because of personal circumstances (disease, accident, taking care of a sick family member, etc...). Also, with the new program, its less heavy and more manageable, allowing you to continue extracurricular activities while still getting passing grades if not above.

First and second year are pass or fail. But the premed grades don't matter that much knowing that some people (with a complete bachelor) go directly to first year. So no stress. :) 

Hello,im a second year dentistry student in Algeria and im coming the next month to Canada as an immigrant, so can you please explain the system of medical schools in Canada ( New Brunswick and Quebec), do i need to study bachalora in a uni and then apply for med schools or i can get to "année preparatoire" directly. And can you please tell me the tests that i have to pass to be in a medical school. And thank you.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:02 PM, Kk.46 said:

Hello,im a second year dentistry student in Algeria and im coming the next month to Canada as an immigrant, so can you please explain the system of medical schools in Canada ( New Brunswick and Quebec), do i need to study bachalora in a uni and then apply for med schools or i can get to "année preparatoire" directly. And can you please tell me the tests that i have to pass to be in a medical school. And thank you.

Hey welcome, u can apply as an international student and provide ur Algerian transcript, but this group is very competitive for most schools (1 or 2 students per year). Do speak/read french? You can look on each schools website and email the person in charge of admission. My guess is that you would be better off doing a bachelors in something science related before applying but not sure about the details...

good luck

On 1/19/2020 at 9:01 AM, Cheers2life said:

Hey welcome, u can apply as an international student and provide ur Algerian transcript, but this group is very competitive for most schools (1 or 2 students per year). Do speak/read french? You can look on each schools website and email the person in charge of admission. My guess is that you would be better off doing a bachelors in something science related before applying but not sure about the details...

good luck

I will come as an immigrant and i have 'la residence permanent' so i can apply but the problem is that i don't know yet if i have to do a bachelor's degree or no. And thank you so much for the informations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 10:07 PM, mechy said:

As @Mitochondrie2 stated, you are extremely likely to pass the the pre-med year. Over the course of la premed, u take really medically-relevant courses in block fashion which are intense but manageable. The class average on most exams is around 80-85%. Best of luck with your applications! Feel free to PM if you have questions 

Salut, je suis finissant au cégep et j'applique en médecine à Udem pour la session d'automne prochaine, je m'inquite de ne pas être convonqué avec mon cote R qui est un peu serré pour le programme de la médecine (34,5). Quels autres programmes je dois considérer pour mes autres choix qui me permettront d'avoir un CRU élevé si je travail fort à l'université.

Attendons avant de conclure s'il y aura autant de cote r de 36 et +...Tu fais partie de la première cohorte (2018-2020) dont les trois sessions qui comptent dans le nouveau calcul qui aura une incidence sur la cote r. Il faut se rappeler que l'ancien calcul privilégiait un étudiant fort à l'intérieur d'un groupe homogène faible et que le meilleur calcul des deux l'emportait, ce qui mettait la cote r à la hausse. Et puis, pour répondre à la question, physio est le meilleur tremplin pour médecine, d'après ce que j'ai lu. Bonne chance! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, Pier 2020 said:

Attendons avant de conclure s'il y aura autant de cote r de 36 et +...Tu fais partie de la première cohorte (2018-2020) dont les trois sessions qui comptent dans le nouveau calcul qui aura une incidence sur la cote r. Il faut se rappeler que l'ancien calcul privilégiait un étudiant fort à l'intérieur d'un groupe homogène faible et que le meilleur calcul des deux l'emportait, ce qui mettait la cote r à la hausse. Et puis, pour répondre à la question, physio est le meilleur tremplin pour médecine, d'après ce que j'ai lu. Bonne chance! 

La deuxième cohorte, la première étant 2017-2019 (aka la mienne :D). En effet, toutes les cotes R de la session d'automne 2017 venaient déjà de la nouvelle formule – la nouvelle cote R a été introduite en février 2018, aka le moment quand les cotes R d'automne 2017 sortaient!

• 2 weeks later...

Salut ! Je suis un étudiant étranger (français), ayant appliqué au premed 2020 de l'UdeM. Je me demandais si vous auriez des tuyaux pour m'aider à me préparer et surtout comprendre en quoi consistent et comment sont faits les MEM, je ne connais personne qui soit déjà passé par là et suis donc assez dans le flou à ce sujet. Merci :D

On 1/17/2020 at 10:02 PM, Kk.46 said:

In Quebec you can be admitted if you have an education equivalent to a colledge degree . For the application process and requirements you can check website of the school - they usually post detailed step by step guide. 

On 1/22/2020 at 12:34 AM, mechy said:

Hey everyone, since this year we need a bachelor's degree to enter, does that mean that the category "en cours de bacc" is abolished? In my case, I will graduate in the summer, but I already applied...so is my competition a ~34 CRU or 37?

thanks in advance

Yes it is abolished. There's only the category for university students which is : having completed a bachelor degree. 

On 1/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, Kk.46 said:

I will come as an immigrant and i have 'la residence permanent' so i can apply but the problem is that i don't know yet if i have to do a bachelor's degree or no. And thank you so much for the informations.

You're gonna have to do all the basic science courses of CEGEP level if you haven't done them. Or else, you'll have to do a bachelor degree yeah. You can ask the admissions office of udem to find out more. 

• 2 weeks later...