Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

UBC DMD 2024 - Interview Invites/Rejections


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got accepted IP! Beyond excited and will be attending in the fall.   

Invite IP GPA: 81 AA 23 PAT 20  don’t know about casper

Invite IP GPA: 84 AA: 26 PAT: 23 I did not check my casper score

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 4:08 PM, HR6 said:

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats with us?

Hi, 

sorry just saw this. My stats were as follows:

GPA: ~83-84%
DAT: 22AA, 26 PAT

ECs: lab research, coops, shadowing hours, leadership roles within clubs at school, and volunteer experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 11:50 PM, denteee said:

Did anyone get off the waitlist?

I got an email last week saying there's been no change in the class list. 

Is no movement really possible..??

Hey I got the same email, tbh I'm not sure what's going on at this point  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i haven’t started applying for UBC yet, but I’m wondering do we need to hand in our reference letters by August 25 if we want to submit our applications before August 25 to get early interview? Is there a format to follow for the reference letters?

Do you guys know if there’s an advantage in getting an admission or an interview for applying and submitting the applications early before August 25? I read on the website that if we submit the applications before August 25, the applicants are most likely be interviewed during the October cycle.

 

Any ideas on if the MMI and the small group interview will be online or in person because of this covid? 

I don’t know how many people are usually in the small group interviews, but wouldn’t people have to be screaming across the room in order to keep social distancing? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 12:56 AM, yampotato said:

Hi guys,

i haven’t started applying for UBC yet, but I’m wondering do we need to hand in our reference letters by August 25 if we want to submit our applications before August 25 to get early interview? Is there a format to follow for the reference letters?

Do you guys know if there’s an advantage in getting an admission or an interview for applying and submitting the applications early before August 25? I read on the website that if we submit the applications before August 25, the applicants are most likely be interviewed during the October cycle.

 

Any ideas on if the MMI and the small group interview will be online or in person because of this covid? 

I don’t know how many people are usually in the small group interviews, but wouldn’t people have to be screaming across the room in order to keep social distancing? 

This may be a tad late (since it's 5 days after the early admissions deadline) but your referee should be provided with a specialized link to which they will send their reference letter. This must be completed for you to be considered for early interviews, which will happen in early and mid-October. If things repeat with last year's process, those that do not make the cut for early admissions will have another shot during the regular admission interviews; therefore, it's in your best interest to apply early so you have an extra chance, if necessary. 

MMI and SGL (small group learning) will happen through Zoom breakout rooms. Once you're invited, the admissions team will send you more details regarding URL, time, fees, etc. 

Last interview round, I believe there were 4-5 people per SGL group, with 2 SGLs, 2 PBLs, and 7 (or 8?) MMI stations. 

On 8/21/2020 at 2:12 AM, Zzay said:

Did anyone get off the waitlist this year? Does anybody know?

Roughly <6 people made it off of the waitlist. This is a huge change compared to previous years due to the addition of reference letters in the admissions requirement, which was implemented to curb the number of med applicants that also applied to dentistry as a back-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nay24 said:

This may be a tad late (since it's 5 days after the early admissions deadline) but your referee should be provided with a specialized link to which they will send their reference letter. This must be completed for you to be considered for early interviews, which will happen in early and mid-October. If things repeat with last year's process, those that do not make the cut for early admissions will have another shot during the regular admission interviews; therefore, it's in your best interest to apply early so you have an extra chance, if necessary. 

MMI and SGL (small group learning) will happen through Zoom breakout rooms. Once you're invited, the admissions team will send you more details regarding URL, time, fees, etc. 

Last interview round, I believe there were 4-5 people per SGL group, with 2 SGLs, 2 PBLs, and 7 (or 8?) MMI stations. 

Roughly <6 people made it off of the waitlist. This is a huge change compared to previous years due to the addition of reference letters in the admissions requirement, which was implemented to curb the number of med applicants that also applied to dentistry as a back-up.

How does the implementation of reference letters curb med applicants? Just wondering because one letter is required from an upper level professor and the other from a healthcare professional (as opposed to specifically only a dentist), which I assume most applicants would be able to easily get. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Undergrad45 said:

How does the implementation of reference letters curb med applicants? Just wondering because one letter is required from an upper level professor and the other from a healthcare professional (as opposed to specifically only a dentist), which I assume most applicants would be able to easily get. 

This actually changed! Last year's application required a reference letter from a dental professional; it changed to one from a HCP for this round.

UBC Faculty of Dentistry has long had issues with being "second choice" for many med applicants, and more recently have had unfortunate timings with med applicants dropping out late to enter med school once they get off the waitlist near August. While talks of implementing reference letters have been in the works for some time, I personally believe these recent years are what's driven the requirement.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, nay24 said:

This actually changed! Last year's application required a reference letter from a dental professional; it changed to one from a HCP for this round.

UBC Faculty of Dentistry has long had issues with being "second choice" for many med applicants, and more recently have had unfortunate timings with med applicants dropping out late to enter med school once they get off the waitlist near August. While talks of implementing reference letters have been in the works for some time, I personally believe these recent years are what's driven the requirement.  

Ah I see, that makes sense!

Also, slightly unrelated question but I thought I'd ask here - do you know how the verification process for activities/experiences works for UBC Dent? Do they send an email with the entry, or do verifiers have to provide the full entry themselves? I'm just wondering how it would work if a verifier missed an email/phone call haha 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...