Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2020

TIME STAMP: 2:24 pm

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD

Result: Regrets

cGPA/wGPA:  3.63/3.73

MCAT: 130/127/130/131

ECs: Strongest part of my app. Research, publications, presentations, volunteerism, leadership positions, awards, extensive employment. Clearly not enough to make up for GPA.

Essays: Spent about a month on them. Revised heavily over this time and received feedback from many different people, including current med students.

Year: Post-Master's degree, working in research.

Geography: IP

Not unexpected but disappointed as always. There's just no getting around GPA. 4th time applying, off to the States we go I suppose. 

cGPA/wGPA:  3.98/3.98

MCAT: 130/128/131/130

ECs: I didnt have 6/6 for each category. But i talored each description for Canmeds roles. I'd say this is most likely my weak point.

Essays: Spent a week on them. Revised alot and tried to spoonfeed them canmeds roles.

Year: 4th year

2nd time applying. This sucks but oh well 

Congrats to everyone who got interviews!

TIME STAMP: 2:31PM March 16th

cGPA/wGPA: 3.94/3.97

MCAT: 519 (130/127/130/132)

ECs: 7 years of running my own business (its IG has 1.4m followers), hospital volunteering, lots and lots of music, mobile clinic volunteer in a 3rd world country, multiple customer service jobs (1-3 years each), using my business to fundraise and work with very large organizations to promote welfare, competitive trampoline

.....but my only research is volunteering in a lab 

Essays: felt really good about them, genuinely put my heart into them 

Year: 4th year UG

Not surprised given I was rejected from all other Ontario schools. I’m really not sure what it is that they don’t like about me. 

TIME STAMP: 2:23 pm March 16th

cGPA/wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Research (not published), clinical and non clinical volunteering including some very long term volunteering commitments, started a successful non-profit humanitarian organization, executive member of a few clubs on campus, employment in an academic setting, physician shadowing experience, and a few more activities that I can't recall currently

Essays: Spent about 1 month on these and had many people edit them. Thought that they were very well written

Year: Finished UG in 2019

I feel disappointed but am not really too surprised about the outcome. It's really difficult to get an interview at UofT with a GPA below a 3.95 (unless you're a graduate applicant). I'm just grateful for having an acceptance in the States. Good luck to everyone with their interviews! 

cGPA/wGPA:  3.96/ineligible for wGPA

MCAT: 524

ECs: Almost 4 years of research (mostly paid through employment or awards, Honours thesis) - 2 posters and 2 presentations but no journal pubs yet. Lots of academic awards and scholarship money from high school and uni. Hospital volunteer (1 year, ongoing). Various short-term volunteering (4-6 month) in teaching underrepresented students, student cultural committee, public health campaigns. Part-time employment outside the lab (5 years). Good enough for Ottawa. :blink:

Essays: spent about a month writing and had close friends (one MD student) review them. Felt like I was very honest, personal and genuine with my answers.

Year: Finishing up 4th year UG.

Kinda prepared myself for this having waited this long. Still stings though. I genuinely wonder what more/else I could have done to improve my chances here... I really gave it my all. Hopefully I'll have some good news in May and won't have to find out.:(

50 minutes ago, a1732 said:

TIME STAMP: 2:31PM March 16th

cGPA/wGPA: 3.94/3.97

MCAT: 519 (130/127/130/132)

ECs: 7 years of running my own business (its IG has 1.4m followers), hospital volunteering, lots and lots of music, mobile clinic volunteer in a 3rd world country, multiple customer service jobs (1-3 years each), using my business to fundraise and work with very large organizations to promote welfare, competitive trampoline

.....but my only research is volunteering in a lab 

Essays: felt really good about them, genuinely put my heart into them 

Year: 4th year UG

Not surprised given I was rejected from all other Ontario schools. I’m really not sure what it is that they don’t like about me. 

Dang, I'm sorry to hear... your ECs sound great to me and to be honest at the end of the day it's whoever they want to arbitrarily pick to get an invite.

TIME STAMP: 2:28 pm

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): N/A (MD)

Result: rejected

wGPA:  3.91

MCAT: 522 (met all section cutoffs)

ECs: diverse, a decent amount of research (including 1 publication), a lot of music-related stuff. good enough for queen's & western!

Essays: i put so much time & thought into these. had them looked over by a couple family members & a family friend in the field. i honestly thought they were the strongest part of my entire OMSAS application. i guess they weren't enough to compensate for my GPA?

Year: finished undergrad in 2018

feeling a little sad because U of T was my first choice and i would've loved to stay in toronto, but still grateful for the other opportunities i've had this year.

TIME STAMP: March 10th 2020 2:18 PM

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): March 29th 2020 (MD)

Result: Invite

cGPA/wGPA: 3.90/3.96  

MCAT: 506 (met all section cutoffs - hope for y’all w bad MCATs)

ECs: I’d say very diverse, very research heavy, mental health related activities 

Essays: I put a decent amount of work into them, started feeling down when I didn’t hear for SO long but I thought they were great tried to get as much feedback as possible (from cool ppl)

Year: finished undergrad in 2019

Sorry for the late post, just wanted to update the community and say how crazy the interviews are going to be (recorded online answers?!).

TIME STAMP: March 13th (sorry im late)

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD):  MD, March 28

Result: Invite!

cGPA/wGPA:  4.0

MCAT: 515

ECs: Very diverse (publications, union advocacy work, clubs, coaching, some hobbies, volunteering etc.) My mindset has always been to get involved with things that you enjoy, and I promise you that you won't only enjoy 1 category of activities!

Essays: Worked on them a lot to make sure they were exactly how I wanted to them read. I think the word count really challenges you to say your ideas in the best way possible, so that can time. 

Year: 4th year undergrad 

TIME STAMP: March 16th 2020 11:28 AM PST

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD

cGPA/wGPA: 3.93

MCAT: met cut offs

ECs: Good mix - <5 awards of academic excellence and research grants ($10K+) from uni and high school, 1 first author publication, 2 presentations at national conf, research (3300 hours), event/charity coordinator for underprivileged kids x2 ($3000+ raised), club execs at uni (3 years), high level sports since age 16 (>2000 hours + national tournament placing 2nd) + major injury (surgery + 1 year rehab), hobbies (sports - now rec, culinary, etc), pianist + scholarships (18 years), a couple employment entries (1 working with kids), then usual cookie cutter volunteering (~150 hrs total... could this be why??)

Essays: I wrote about my personal experiences and was really genuine about them (one essay was about my year long battle recovering from my injury)

Year: MSc (thesis) conferred in 2019, now working as a teacher for young adults at an autism school.

Geography: OOP

Late post. This is my first time applying to UofT. Thought I had a chance with a master's degree to off-set a slightly lower GPA - i'm open to any suggestions or comments about my app!