Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2020

Time Stamp: 5:24pm
Stream: English
cGPA/wGPA: 3.95/3.98

MCAT: 516 (131/126/131/128)

Current year: 4th year

ECs: Worked on 3 research projects (1 poster presentation), long term volunteering with children's cancer camp, short term hospital volunteering, academic awards, private school teacher and tutor, restaraunt server, and recording musician. Small things added as well to fill up ECs. 

Good luck to those still waiting! 

TIME STAMP: March 18th 2020 5:23 PM EST

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD

Result: Regrets

cGPA/wGPA: 3.90

MCAT: met cut offs

ECs: Lots of stuff, mostly mental health related - started a really big club at my school, launched a global campaign, clinical volunteering (~300hrs), some volunteering abroad, no research at all, but I am completing a QI project, restaurant job for three years, included hobbies like yoga, dance and photography

Essays: Spent a good amount of time and thought they were good...looking back, i could've done better

Year: finished UG in 2019

Geography: IP

I'm not as upset as i thought i would be...this was my dream school but after waiting for so long, i'm just happy to have closure...everything happens for a reason. Good luck to everyone!

TIME STAMP: March 18th 2020 5:30 PM EST

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD

cGPA/wGPA: 3.91/wGPA 3.95 or 3.96

MCAT: 513 (129/125/129/130)

ECs: I thought they were good and diverse who knows: 2 NSERC USRAs, 2 years paid clinical research assistant positions at a really good hospital program, multiple scholarships, various research projects throughout university (no pubs), 2 presentations at conferences, President/VP for 3 clubs, other leadership positions, intramurals, first responder, cookie cutter volunteering (500+ hrs), lot of tutoring experiences, and a lot of unique experiences as the list goes on.

Essays: Essays I thought were good, maybe one essay prompt could have been improved I guess. Edited many times.

Year: Graduated 2019

Pretty disappointed and unexpected for me that I didn't even get an interview, don't know where it went wrong. I'll probably do a masters and try again. Open to suggestions.

TIME STAMP: 5:20 PM

cGPA/wGPA:  3.96/4.00

MCAT: Above cut-offs

ECs: Non-traditional student (radiography). Several years of clinical practica, 1 month volunteering in a hospital in Vietnam, 1 publication and went on to receive an international award at the European Congress of Radiology, several scholarships, a lot of piano and guitar, president of two clubs, part-time tutor for children, previous university tutor, etc.

Essays: Spent a couple months writing them and felt fairly confident. 

Year: Finishing up 4th year undergrad

Geography: OOP

This was my dream school but alas. My app was good enough for Queen's but apparently not UofT. Guess I'm not what they're looking for... disappointed that those of us in the last wave had to wait this long for an R. Good luck to everyone else awaiting decisions!

Time Stamp: 5:28pm
cGPA/wGPA: 3.79/3.89

MCAT: 511 (129/125/129/128)

Current year: Graduated 2019, been working since

ECs: 3 research lab RA positions, extensive volunteering in community and healthcare, extensive work history (10+ years because low income family) in various fields, extensive athletics, moderate campus and club activity at my school, secondary/tertiary language proficiency, upward trend since high school

Essays: I felt they were strong, so did everyone who read them. My GPA got tanked because of one bad mark in 4th year (which I explained in my ABS). 

Thought I had a strong application outside GPA. Didn't get my R last year till something like 3 days before the final interview. This was my dream school, as it is for many others, here's hoping I get in next cycle because my MCAT is only good for one more go. Disappointed the committee can take so long to make a decision, but can't provide me the notes they made on my application or areas for me to improve.

Time Stamp: 7:25pm
GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 517 (129/126/131/131)

Current year: Graduated 2016

ECs: 3 research lab positions (one poster & one 3rd author pub) and a lot volunteering in community and healthcare. I worked in healthcare for 2 years as a medical product supply  rep. I traveled to hospitals and worked with all-kinds of healthcare providers across North America. I participate in a few solo sports (skiing, yoga, surfing). A few others but it feels tiresome to list it all.

I felt good about my essays this year. I worked closely with a university writing center on feedback. FYI, if you are unsure where to turn for personal statement advice for whatever reason university writing centers will almost always help (even if you are not enrolled from my experience). 

Time Stamp: 7:35pm

MCAT: 130/126/129/128 - 513 
cGPA/wGPA: 3.93/3.97
Current year: Graduated BSc 2019

EC: Pretty diverse with some long term leadership positions. TA for 3 years in 4 different courses, executive on 2 different clubs. RA position, thesis presentation, long term volunteering in healthcare and outside of healthcare. Lots of employment. 

Essays: I thought they were good, and I got lots of feedback. I guess not though, as I thought every other part of my application was good.

Can't say I'm not disappointed. I thought I had a good shot. But I am glad the wait is over! Good luck to everyone who got interviews!

Time Stamp: 7:24pm
cGPA/wGPA: 3.95/3.99

MCAT: 514 (127/130/130/127)

Current year: 4th year UG

ECs: NSERC, job as a research assistant, poster, manuscripts were in prep, some volunteering. Very cookie cutter.

My first cycle applying - zero interviews. I know my ECs are average but I just thought I had a chance at GPA heavy schools. 

Rejection here as well. 524; 4.00; typical EC's; third year; in province

My guess is that because of the Corona Virus situation, they may be unfairly rejecting everyone since they know they can't interview them. If no one gets accepted during this time, it seems like this is a likely explanation. The last acceptance in this forum was on March 13th, right before all of the shut-downs.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:31 PM, a1732 said:

TIME STAMP: 2:31PM March 16th

Interview Date (MD or MD/PhD): MD

cGPA/wGPA: 3.94/3.97

MCAT: 519 (130/127/130/132)

ECs: 7 years of running my own business (its IG has 1.4m followers), hospital volunteering, lots and lots of music, mobile clinic volunteer in a 3rd world country, multiple customer service jobs (1-3 years each), using my business to fundraise and work with very large organizations to promote welfare, competitive trampoline

.....but my only research is volunteering in a lab 

Essays: felt really good about them, genuinely put my heart into them 

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: IP

Not surprised given I was rejected from all other Ontario schools. I’m really not sure what it is that they don’t like about me. 

Cool! Wha's the IG?

Time Stamp: 7:40pm

MCAT: 128/127/128/128 - 511
cGPA/wGPA: 3.85
Current year: Graduated BSc 2016, MSc in 2019

EC: Research assistant. 2 pubs (one first author, one third author), and a couple of presentations at national/international conferences. Work at local community health centre, tutoring for recent immigrants, peer helper, and other university level leadership activities that were long term. Some music and sports as well. 

Essays: Started early, got them edited thoroughly, and was able to use personal experiences to answer the questions. Thought they were well done. 

Thought I had a good chance with the MSc, but oh well... Seems like you have to have a very high GPA for UofT. Good luck to everyone who has interviews!

Time Stamp: 7:29 pm, March 18
cGPA/wGPA: 3.94/3.97

MCAT: above cutoffs

Current year: Masters

ECs: Extensive research experience, long term volunteering with diverse vulnerable populations, mental health advocacy, and leadership roles as a club exec. Many academic, research and volunteer awards. Also included some activities that I enjoy like running and yoga.

I spent a lot of time thinking about my essays and not enough time writing. Overall I'm proud of the essays that I submitted. Just had one friend look them over.

It's my second time applying to UofT, second rejection and I'm honestly not sure what they're looking for but glad for finally getting closure. Good luck to those of you that received interviews!

Time Stamp: March 18th

Interview Date: March 29th (MD)

Stream: English

cGPA/wGPA: 4.0/4.0

MCAT: 521

EC's: Average, research heavy but no pubs

Essays: Spent 2 hours on each, reviewed once by family and a current med student

Definitely worth the wait! Good luck to everyone else interviewing next weekend!

5 minutes ago, CyclotronGuy said:

Time Stamp: March 18th

Interview Date: March 29th (MD)

Stream: English

cGPA/wGPA: 4.0/4.0

MCAT: 521

EC's: Average, research heavy but no pubs

Essays: Spent 2 hours on each, reviewed once by family and a current med student

Definitely worth the wait! Good luck to everyone else interviewing next weekend!

CONGRATS!!! so sorry to ask but when’d you receive your invite? (i’m still waiting to hear back)

LATE POST

Time Stamp: Mar 16 @ 1426 

cGPA/wGPA: 3.93/not eligable for weighting

MCAT: 517

Current year: 2 years out of school, working in healthcare 

ECs: a little bit of everything, lots of clincal-related entries, good enough for Queens

Essays: thought they were pretty good, spent a long time on them

Good luck to everyone interviewing / still waiting to hear back !