Premed 101 Forums

Concurrent UG degrees - separate or both considered?

I am thinking of adding a BA in psych to be completed concurrently with my BSc in physiology. Does anyone know if (which) med schools will look at only my BA instead of both my degrees in terms of GPA calculation? Can i pick which degree to apply to med school with? 

I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this, so please let me know! My main goal is to significantly increase my GPA or restart my GPA if possible. My university said on their transcripts, they will just keep adding to my current cGPA (which is 3.2/4.0) 

Any info is greatly appreciated <3 Only looking at Canadian med schools btw 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, chaudchocolat said:

I am thinking of adding a BA in psych to be completed concurrently with my BSc in physiology. Does anyone know if (which) med schools will look at only my BA instead of both my degrees in terms of GPA calculation? Can i pick which degree to apply to med school with? 

I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this, so please let me know! My main goal is to significantly increase my GPA or restart my GPA if possible. My university said on their transcripts, they will just keep adding to my current cGPA (which is 3.2/4.0) 

Any info is greatly appreciated <3 Only looking at Canadian med schools btw 

All the schools that I am familiar with will look at your entire transcript(s). You don’t apply with a particular degree; you typically have to send every transcript from every post secondary institution that you have attended. Different schools have different policies about how they calculate GPA from this (some drop your worst year, some use the most recent two years, etc). Look at each school you’re applying to and read about what they require you to send for transcripts and how the calculate your GPA - it’s typically pretty clear.