Premed 101 Forums

2 Years not in a formal UG Program

Hello.

I am looking to apply to the UofC. I completed a UG science degree 8 years ago with a not great GPA. (2.9 2.62 3.26) I intend to use the 10 year exclusion on this. 

I am now an Alberta resident and have 5 years of clinic practice as a paramedic, I also have decent ECs and will get more. 

My question is:

Is it possible to take two years of University but not as part of a full program. My exact circumstance would be to take 24-30 credits of multiple 3 credit courses from Athabasca so I could continue working.

If this would not be a good idea could I take the first two years of there General science UG without enrolling in the 4 year program (for example match all the classes by doing them via 3 credit classes)

Thanks very much for the replies :)

Athabasca would be a great route, as it offers you the flexibility to continue working. Also, you could take courses of interest, or those that will help you with writing the MCAT. The only caveat with this is that you must complete those credits between September and April. If they run longer, into May for example, they are not considered to be part of your full time course load. So make sure your start date is after September 1 and book and write your final exams prior to the end of April.

Alternately, you can enroll as an after-degree student and take science courses without being enrolled in a degree program. The downside to this is the inflexible schedule and possibility that the courses you are interested in are full (as students taking a degree have priority for high-interest courses).

Hope this helps.

Best wishes!

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, Heme said:

Athabasca would be a great route, as it offers you the flexibility to continue working. Also, you could take courses of interest, or those that will help you with writing the MCAT. The only caveat with this is that you must complete those credits between September and April. If they run longer, into May for example, they are not considered to be part of your full time course load. So make sure your start date is after September 1 and book and write your final exams prior to the end of April.

Alternately, you can enroll as an after-degree student and take science courses without being enrolled in a degree program. The downside to this is the inflexible schedule and possibility that the courses you are interested in are full (as students taking a degree have priority for high-interest courses).

Hope this helps.

Best wishes!

Hi, I have a quick question, I was dumb and enrolled in my course in June, but didnt complete it till into the winter semester, and it transferred to UCalgary (i was an undergrad) for the winter semester, does it still not count as a winter grade for the university? Thanks. 

• 6 months later...