Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa 2020 interviews

Rejection 
Time Stamp: 1:26pm EST
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.885 (edit: i calculated it) Unfortunately my most recent year was my worst due to extenuating circumstances (Ottawa did not give the option of including an academic explanation essay)
Current year: 4th yr UG
CASPer: I think it went well due to interview invite to mcmaster
EC’s: long term and diverse, covered all areas and had some unique experiences.

Oh well. Congrats to all those with interviews  :) 

15 minutes ago, ABCD13 said:

No. I was hoping they would consider a lower GPA (that made the cutoff), but I guess not... wish it did help in some way. :(

Edit** Forgot to wish you some luck! I think you also applied to the social accountability stream? I hope it works out in your favor

Unfortunately I just got rejected as well:

Rejection
Time Stamp:  1:16 pm
wGPA: 3.89
Current year: Undergrad complete 2018

Casper: Not sure
ECs: good enough for Queen's and Western last year

Drats, I had my hopes on the social accountability stream. Though you did make the cutoff, which was 3.85 for English IP. Guess GPA post-cutoff is still highly competitive. Hope we low SES folk hear good news soon :) 

Invite/Rejection: Rejection
Time Stamp: Jan 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM
wGPA: 3.835 (I knew this would likely exclude me but I applied anyway on the off chance they’d lower the cutoffs this year... waste of $125 haha oh well)
Current year: finished undergrad in 2018, currently working
ECs: fairly strong I think, although I doubt they even looked

Casper: got an interview at Mac with decent CARS and relatively low GPA, so must have been really good (but again, they probably just tossed out my app because of my GPA lol)

Rejection
Time Stamp: 1:24 (ottawa time)
Location: not sure because spent last 2+ years studying in Manitoba, before that was in Ontario 
wGPA: not sure because I have a couple of degrees...do not know which years count as full time. my first undergrad was a disaster 
Current year: first year masters 
ECs: pretty strong, I think 

Casper: I enjoyed the test

Been out of the game for a while, my last and only interview was at NOSM

Here's the template if anyone wants to share!

Invite/Rejection
Time Stamp: DD/MM/YYYY - XX:XX AM/PM
Stream: English, French, Aboriginal, French (OOP (not QC))
wGPA: on 4.0 OMSAS Scale
Current year:3rd year, 4th year, UG complete, Masters, PhD
ECs: Description at your discretion 

Casper: General thoughts

Rejection
Time Stamp: 1:08 PM
wGPA: 3.9
Current year: 4th UG
ECs: 25/32, they're okay - they definitely can be better

Casper: I could've done some preparation for it but I thought it was pretty straight forward. Wasn't good enough for mac or Dal either

They're out!

I'll update with stats later. 

EDIT: 

Invite
Time Stamp: 2:20 Ottawa time. 
Stream: English (OOP (not QC))
wGPA: A 3.91 I think. 
Current year: 4th year
ECs: Almost nothing you would associate with being a "premed", so somewhat identifying. Of note, no hospital stuff, barely any research. 

Casper: Good enough for Mac OOP, I'm a fast typist. 

Rejection
Time Stamp: 1:09 PM 
wGPA: 3.99  
Current year: 4th yr UG 
ECs: Some research (No pubs but a few posters and talks), some Leadership and Clinical experience

Casper: Not sure again, I thought it wen't fine but probably not considering Mac, Manitoba and Ottawa 

Invite/Rejection: INVITE !!!!!!!! - I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!
Time Stamp: Jan 22, 2020 at 12:59 PM
Location: IP (I think... I have only been in Ontario for 1.5f years)
wGPA: 3.98
Current year: 5th year UG
ECs: I feel like it's diverse but pretty average. Almost 4 years of research (mostly paid through employment or awards, Honours thesis) - 2 posters and 2 presentations but no journal pubs yet. Lots of academic awards and scholarship money from high school and uni. Hospital volunteer (1 year, ongoing). Various short-term volunteering (4-6 month) in teaching underrepresented students, student cultural committee, public health campaigns. Part-time employment outside the lab (5 years).

Casper: I felt quite confident during, but then got rejected from McMaster with a high CARS as an OOP so I wasn't feeling so hopeful about Ottawa. Guess it wasn't that bad.

Congrats to everyone who got invited!

Rejection
Time Stamp: 1:15 PM
wGPA: 3.94/4.00
Current year: UG Complete
ECs: To be honest, I was expecting a rejection and medical school was a spontaneous decision for me as I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April 2019. My goal is dentistry (father is dentist and have done many things in the field of dentistry)..I have received an invite to UoT dental and expecting UWO as well. I thought overall my EC's were above average but not a lot of "medical" experiences. Was a teaching assistant for 10 courses, ran a charity that tutors underprivileged students, volunteered in an exercise program to help those undergoing chemotherapy, receptionist in a dental clinic for the homeless, ran Pre-Dental club at the University I did my undergrad at, NSERC URSA, few others. Unfortunately, I could not put my clinical research position at a company called Sernova (regenerative medicine company to treat chronic diseases) since I received a job offer after the app was due, as well as an non-profit organization I have created for Type 1 diabetics that is about fitness/nutrition and normalizing blood sugars. Around 4300 applied, so I am sure it is super competitive but its worth it to apply and see if you have a chanceGood luck to all applicants and keep chasing your goals.

Casper: I thought it was fine, fast typer and used tons of personal experiences. No red flags, thats for sure. 

Time Stamp: 22/01/2020- 11:25 AM PST

Invite
wGPA: 3.95
Current year: UG complete, 1st yr professional program
ECs: A lot of tutoring (kids, ESL students). Some scholarships. Short + long-term volunteering (Canada + abroad). 2 years of research but no publications. Several leadership positions in areas I was really passionate in. Included a lot of random hobbies and sports I did.

Casper: I was able to answer almost all of the questions (spent a couple weeks trying to get my typing speed up), but that doesn't necessarily mean the quality was good. 

Waitlisted last year