Premed 101 Forums

Chances at McGill, Queen's, UOttawa (English or French)

golimumab

I'm an older applicant seeking a career change into medicine.  I posted on here several months ago asking about McMaster & Western, which are likely my best chances given the way they look at GPA, etc.  However, my wife and I live in Ottawa, where we have a home and our current careers, so I'm not exactly footloose and fancy-free.  I'm therefore looking into nearby schools.  My cGPA is around 3.65 (each year is about the same, unfortunately), but I have a Masters and an impressive career, with lots of maturity to demonstrate.  

Would I have a shot at UOttawa?  If not the English program then how about the French?  I know someone who was accepted into the French program with a GPA lower than mine.

And how about McGill?  I can't tell from their website if they are non-trad friendly.

Assuming I do well on the MCAT, I think Queen's might be my best shot given their separate consideration of graduate students.  It sounds as though this is motivated by an interest in attracting more mature students, but can anyone confirm that Queen's is open to mature non-trads with a lower GPA?

Thanks!

I think McGill is non-trad friendly (but i don't know for OOP...), even if you compete with all the University applicants (until last year, they had a non trad category but this year they abolished that). I'm also an older (french) applicant, applying on the basis of a second degree. On my first degree, i had a 3,3 GPA (worked 35h per week, never tought about going back to school after...). For my second degree, i have 3,9/4 GPA, which will be the only one considered for the application since this one is better than the older one.  I will know on friday if i get a spot for the interview. GPA worth 70% of the evaluation, Casper 20% and CV 10%.  Within this 70% academic score, 90% is based on the undergraduate CGPA and 10% is based on academic context. The assessment of an applicant's academic context consists of (a) the progression of difficulty of coursework, (b) post-bachelor's academics and (c) the recognition of professional degree programs (i.e.: programs that lead to the practice of a profession for which one must be a member of a professional order). https://mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process/academic-evaluation

3 hours ago, golimumab said:

but can anyone confirm that Queen's is open to mature non-trads with a lower GPA?

They can have lower GPAs but we do not know the cut off for it. Same with MCAT. Best you can do is shoot your shot, and hope you meet cut-offs so the rest of your application carries you to an interview.

51 minutes ago, golimumab said:

Thanks for the replies.  Any thoughts on UOttawa, English or French stream?

UOttawa has a set cutoff for each applicant category based on your place of residence and the English vs. French stream. I am not sure about their Ottawa/IP resident cutoffs, but you can call them and they'll tell you. But the thing is they do not accept anyone even 0.01 below their GPA cutoff (and they have a 3 year GPA formula on their website). Good luck :))

• 1 month later...

@Moonlight2

I am a International Student accepted for 'Under Grad- "Honours Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science".

I have carrier motto for my Medicines ahead In Canada or US. As me aware need to maintain my GPA at the highest order along with high MCAT scores to o ahead in same direction.

I can see you are from uOttawa Univ, Can you please guide me how difficult is it to maintain high GPA at this University?

Appreciate all the help here

Thanks

On 2/23/2020 at 7:25 PM, UG_International said:

@Moonlight2

I am a International Student accepted for 'Under Grad- "Honours Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science".

I have carrier motto for my Medicines ahead In Canada or US. As me aware need to maintain my GPA at the highest order along with high MCAT scores to o ahead in same direction.

I can see you are from uOttawa Univ, Can you please guide me how difficult is it to maintain high GPA at this University?

Appreciate all the help here

Thanks

Hi there. Unfortunately I have not studied at University of Ottawa, I just had received the above info from their admissions office. I assume it should be as difficult as most Canadian universities to maintain a high GPA at UOttawa. I just want to remind you of a fact that you probably already know, and that is how few seats there are for International students (those without a Canadian permanent residency or passport) at Canadian medical schools. Having said that, wish you luck in the process!

On 2/24/2020 at 8:10 PM, Moonlight2 said:

Hi there. Unfortunately I have not studied at University of Ottawa, I just had received the above info from their admissions office. I assume it should be as difficult as most Canadian universities to maintain a high GPA at UOttawa. I just want to remind you of a fact that you probably already know, and that is how few seats there are for International students (those without a Canadian permanent residency or passport) at Canadian medical schools. Having said that, wish you luck in the process!

@Moonlight2

have a confusion:

University of Ottawa does have a MD prog.

BUT https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions, is this a Undergraduate degree for Medicine?

Somehow it still needs one to complete a Complete 4 year UG prog/course?

Confused- Please help

Appreacite All your time!